How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-05-2005
kabhi alvida

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...hlight=airport

14-05-2005
ingenue

thanks impossible! now I've merged them together.

14-05-2005
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

Thanks guys, sorry for the mistake

14-05-2005
i'm almost ready..

I do the 14 or so hour flight from Calgary to Sydney more times than I care to speak of.....great thread

I've done jeans before, though they are a little too stiff sometimes....I can get away with my favorite pair and I too sometimes secretly undo one button, which does wonders.... usually then I wear a plain fitted tee, a light cardigan and I take a fitted but comfortable jacket and ALWAYS a big comfortable scarf/pashima....doubles as a pillow, blanket, headrest, whatever you need... depending on the weather here in Canada or in Sydney I will wear warmer shoes and pack a pair of flats/flip flops, or vice versa.. linen pants are great for flights too...always in black or brown....I tend to stick to darker and earthier colors when flying....no bright pinks or anything....

I take as much carry on luggage as they let me, usually, but its all compact and able to be sealed up because things always seem to go rolling and flying around on a plane....I take lots of hand lotion and lip balm, bottled water, socks... music and books of course.. tank tops and a sweater I can layer...

I totally agree with whoever said wash your hair right before you leave....I take lots of bobby pins and hair elastics..but I think the best thing I started doing was to take a nice comfy wrap, like I said....works in so many ways and looks effortlessly chic

15-05-2005
backstage pass

Well here's a question:
I'm immigrating to Australia (Melbourne) in November and will be doing a long flight. My future mother in law will be picking us up from the airport. I have never met her before (but have often spoken to her on the phone and she seems very nice.)
Now what do you wear to something like that? I would have just got off the plane and will want to make a good impression
Any suggestions?

Proponent of Plaid

I'd wear something that will travel well and not wrinkle badly.

Any fabric with a bit of spandex in it will shed wrinkles more easily, plus be comfortable to sit all contorted up in. It's pretty bad when someone 5'5" 130# and a size 4 finds airplane seats a bit crampy.

If I had to make a good impression upon landing, I'd wear my olive green outing flannel suit...it looks sharp as anything, but it feels as comfortable as pyjamas. I'd polish up my black boots to a mirror shine, and touch on a little makeup while the plane is taxi-ing up to the debarking terminal.

So my advice is to wear something smart that has some spandex in it, so that it doesn't wrinkle easily and doesn't retain whatever wrinkles it may pick up. Since you're coming to Australia near the start of winter, I'd suggest maybe a pretty sweater, or something layerable...a cute top with a shrug or a blazer, plus a nice pair of trousers.

Also, I love your avatar...that is too darn cute!

Last edited by As You Like It; 15-05-2005 at 10:28 AM.
15-05-2005
backstage pass

I thought that I would take some facial wash and some baby wipes on the plane with me so I can freshen up before we land. Plus a good moisturiser - that air conditioning is a real nightmare at drying your skin out. I was considering taking a change of trousers to put on as well. Maybe I should travel in some cotton trousers and then change into a pair of jeans with a nice smart top for landing (plus running a brush through my hair which will inevitably look like I was auditioning for a part in The Cure)
November will be the start if the Aussie summer so I may not bother with a jacket.
If immigrating is not nerve racking enough, then meeting your future mother in law at the other end just makes it more so! Oh well, I always like a challenge!
Thanks for the comment on my new avatar! I see it as the Puss of Fashion out on the hunt for new trends!

Proponent of Plaid

Oh, I missed the part about your leaving for Aus. in November...I thought you were going right away!

Good luck to you, by the way...it sounds very exciting.

15-05-2005
V.I.P.

hydrating clothing!

15-05-2005
front row

jammies

15-05-2005
backstage pass

usually rock black soccer sweatpants cause they have pockets.. and a beater or white t-shirt.. and either sandles or new balances.. seems to work well when im flying from NC to minnesota.. weather climate shift in the winter (only time i go back is x-mas)

rising star

depends on the season!

in summer, i wear a cute tunic in my signature colors (red, turquoise, pink, etc.) and sometimes a skirt or capri pants. with flats for shoes of course!

in spring, pants and a cute blouse. flats again.

in fall, pants and blouse, again. i take a pashmina in a deep red color and flats.

i haven't flown in winter, yet. my recommendations are flats all the way and avoid too much luggage! drink lots of water! alcohol is a big no-no, NEVER EVER whether in air or on ground! just my opinion!

15-05-2005
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alina
drink lots of water! alcohol is a big no-no, NEVER EVER whether in air or on ground! just my opinion!
I can't get through a flight without alcohol

Fashion wise, it totally depends on a) how long the flight is b) whether I’m flying commercial or private c) destination.

If I'm on a private flight I look like a scrub - juicy sweat suit and all. Commercial flights, I'll still dress casual and comfortable, but with a little more style - trousers (can't fly in jeans), button down, flats - nothing I care too much for in case there's turbulence and something gets spilled on me (learned that lesson on a flight to DC).

~Madeleine Albright
15-05-2005
V.I.P.

Omg re reading this how much of a bitch did i sound guess i was having a b ad day. Sorry, espesially you lady muck !!

15-05-2005
front row

It's the only socially appropriate place to wear your parachute pants from the 1980s.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
airplane, wear