How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2009
front row

^ I love that. Beautiful lunch-with girlfriends look. But it's probably too much fabric for a man to fully understand. Women get that look because it's so effortlessly cool yet just edgy enough, etc. A lot of men don't pick up on subtleties like that. Unless he has a very well developed aesthetic in which case he's an exception and normal rules don't apply..

I went on a date! First date, late, to a bar, I wore:

-American Apparel black and white mini dress, bodycon
-white chanel J12
-black opaque tights
-black mid-heel shoe boots (very! important because you have no idea how far they'll make you walk and stumbling around in pain is not conducive to conveying Ultimate Confidence Goddess of Sex and Loveliness vibes)
- undone hair

Showed off my figure without actually showing much skin or being desperate, smart and monochrome enough that I didn't look like a floozie next to a guy who'd just come from work, just just casual enough that I didn't look like I'd gone to a MASSIVE effort for this guy who might have been a twerp.

He was not a twerp. Second date I wore:

- agent provocateur underwear
- louboutin-alike heels
- a smile.

26-05-2009
girl who fell to earth

soft i like it
you can always lose the scarf to show a little more skin at the chest/throat area when you sit down to dinner/at the bar or wherever the date is...

and even if he doesn't "get" it, the outfit is fashion forward (and something i feel like i could definitely see you in)...
and since fashion is a big part of your (or anyone on this forum really) life then he should be able to appreciate the fashion sense...

plus, the shoes are hot and have a sort of bondage aspect to them that any man can appreciate

i would lose the glasses for the date though...
don't know if you were including those in the assessment of the outfit :p

28-05-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
how about something like this?...
*too edgy?

style.com
Ooh, lovely.
My boyfriend would like it: "Kawaii!"

Last edited by Melisande; 28-05-2009 at 03:01 AM.
30-05-2009
flaunt the imperfection

it's funny though...
cause i always think of a 'date outfit' as some sort of skirt or dress...
kind of like a job interview...but more feminine....

maybe i am just terribly old-fashioned...

29-06-2009
trendsetter

what do you think about wearing jeans for a date? I'm going for a walk with him tomorrow and I don't know what to wear

you know, I know what to wear on a date in restaurant, pub, cinema etc, but a walk?! I think I'll go more causal... maybe pale pink top, skinny jeans and wedges?

Power to the 99%

^ Jeans sounds good, and if it were me, I'd wear walking shoes ... you can get ones that look like a cross between ballet slippers & walking shoes that I like. You don't want to look like the chick teetering around in wooden platforms at the zoo

29-06-2009
In Bloom

...or you can just wear ballet flats. Mine are comfy enough for walking for many hours.

we were in love

29-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Ballet flats are notorious for having no support though ... People are going to start to think I'm obsessed with support ... never mind, you'll find out why :p

29-06-2009
backstage pass

Ta-ta, I'm beginning to think you are, teehee. I'm onto you.

29-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Actually I've been thinking about it lately I've been going barefoot alot since I've been working at home, and my feet don't seem to like it. I nearly started a thread about it

29-06-2009
fashion icon

^ Barefoot, ouch! You must live in a really clean/tidy area, other than getting sore feet from the roughness of the pavement (and the fact that I'm such a klutz I'd end up stubbing my toe and killing my toenail or something!) I'd be so scared of stepping on glass or sharp bits of litter or whatever. I do agree on ballet flats giving no support though - although I do live in them virtually! - , one of my friends is a waitress and she says its far more comfy to wear high heels for her 6 hour shifts than ballet flats

(Sorry, this is totally OT!)

29-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I have hardwood floors, and do my best to keep them free of broken glass and sharp bits of litter

My ballet-style walking shoes are Ahnu (ahnufootwear.com) ... the company seems to have nice crunchy values

29-06-2009
botanizing on the asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Actually I've been thinking about it lately I've been going barefoot alot since I've been working at home, and my feet don't seem to like it. I nearly started a thread about it
I think if you have high arches, wearing ballet flats and/or frequently going barefoot is not so good....Mine are quite high, and i find walking in **ballet flats far less comfortable than in high heels. It can be downright painful, in fact.

**ironic, since the high arches served me well when i was a ballet dancer. :p

Last edited by laika; 29-06-2009 at 06:07 PM.
29-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I do in fact have very high arches. Certain shoes where the vamp comes up high have me almost screaming in pain, just trying them on. Much better than flat feet though

I'm fine in ballet flats, as long as I alternate with shoes that have better support.

I am also thinking, though, that a guy who asks you out for a walk is going to be making certain observations ...

Put it this way, if it were my suggestion and the guy showed up wearing Prada polished to a high shine, I would be reaching certain conclusions I.e., likely vain, impractical, perhaps a bit short on the common sense, not used to spending much time with Mother Nature, etc.

30-06-2009
trendsetter

thank you guys, I think I'll wear flats mine are very comfortable

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
date, wear