How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-05-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodanChloe View Post
My graduation is next month and i still haven't found a dress!

Does anyone know where i can find a dress like this?

(kstewartfan.org)
Looks like Chanel off the top of my head ... do you have a spare arm and leg?

I have my theories about the white for graduation, but I will spare you

26-05-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
I have my theories about the white for graduation, but I will spare you
No, don't spare me! I'm really curious about where traditions like that stem from. I know it's probably a patriarchical reason, similar to white for weddings. But at the same time, I wonder if there are other meanings. For example, I know that Saint Lucia (where girls typically wear a white dress) is an important holiday in Scandinavia, and Lucia was something of a proto-feminist. Also, Lucia=light=enlightenment, it's close to education in a way.

Maybe the connections I'm making are arbitrary, but it's such a pity when we're instructed to wear or do something as part of tradition, but the meaning behind it is lost or forgotten. (Although in cases such as Wimbledon, this might be a good thing.)

26-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Well, bear in mind that I don't know jack about this But I wondered if it wasn't meant to symbolize the school returning the daughter to the parents in the same state of purity in which she was delivered

26-05-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Well, bear in mind that I don't know jack about this But I wondered if it wasn't meant to symbolize the school returning the daughter to the parents in the same state of purity in which she was delivered
Oh, that's a good one! I used trusty ol' Google to get to the bottom of this. This is from answers.google.com with High School Graduation as the subject.

Quote:
The short answer to your question is, NONE. There is no symbolism, nor even a tradition of women wearing white gowns to graduate from high school.
Here's the long answer ---
As it turns out, girls in white is not any long-standing "tradition" but is more likely a recent innovation having more to do with style preferences of the day.
More the norm nowadays is this: Guys in one color, girls in another. Understand that the whole idea of high school graduation gowns is based on the traditional academic regalia worn by university
graduates. However, in high school there are no different colleges. One color alone signifies graduation. Early on, graduates from high school didn't even wear gowns. This picture from 1923 shows the graduation class just wearing dress clothes. Yes, the women are in white, but
only because white was considered "dressy" in those days.
This is very interesting, it was a pure trend! But as it only deals with the United States, the tradition of wearing white in European countries remains unanswered. Maybe it's the same as with Americans, but perhaps it's less straightforward, as Europe implicates a much longer history.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 26-05-2009 at 02:11 PM.
26-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Paging Valerie Steele ...

26-05-2009
trendsetter

She has one of my dream jobs. I'm so fascinated by these things.

26-05-2009
fashion elite

my graduation is a week from sunday and i planned on wearing the white marc by marc jacobs joelle dress- and then it arrived in the mail and didn't fit.

so now i'm look for a similar one

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
graduation, wear