How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2007
Procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellynjane
I agree on empire waist tops or dresses! Here are some other tips from ivillage.com:
  • Skirts: Fuller, below-the-knee skirts conceal wider hips. Avoid high-waisted pencil skirts and opt for A-line styles and skirts with hemline details, which balance your shape.
  • Trousers: Sport fuller, wide-leg pants. Avoid cropped pants, which make your legs look shorter.
  • Dresses: Well defined waists with fuller skirts can hide a multitude of sins! Try strapless or V-neck styles to draw the eye upward and away from your lower half.
  • Jackets: Damn those shrunken-style jackets that are so in right now! They only draw attention to hips and backsides. Stick to longer jackets that camouflage the hip area.
  • Tops/Sweaters: Whenever possible, go with halter styles and boat necks, which create the illusion of broader shoulders. So do cardigans with horizontal stripes. Steer clear of clingy or tight tops.
Well, being both somewhat pear-shaped and petite I don't know if I agree with some of these tips. Below the knee skirts look dowdy on just about everyone except a tall, reed-thin woman. I think pencil skirts can be sexy with fuller hips, especially since pear-shaped women often have nice slim waists. Really only people with big potbellies should avoid pencil skirts.

And I think a long jacket or blazer would look terrible over wide hips! Better to skim the shape than have some mysterious bulk under too much fabric. Shrunken jackets reveal the curve of the waist and they're certainly much more flattering for a figure that is both pear-shaped and petite.

I don't understand why a woman would want to conceal the hips unless she's really comically disproportionate. I mean, we are females after all, there is supposed to be a violin-shaped curve there. Concealment is so last century.

06-03-2007
backstage pass

^ I'm tall and pear-shaped and I can wear a skirt that hits just below the knee but not lower. On my type of figure it can look modest but sexy with a pair of heels. But I cannot wear pencil - it must be A-line. Otherwise it looks "saddlebaggy" which is never the way to go.

By the way, how are my fellow pears doing with the current skinny jean/jeans in boots trend? I have to keep wearing my bootleg pants (outside my boots), 'uncool' as it is, because otherwise I look like I'm walking on 2 carrots!!

Life is Short
06-03-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin
By the way, how are my fellow pears doing with the current skinny jean/jeans in boots trend? I have to keep wearing my bootleg pants (outside my boots), 'uncool' as it is, because otherwise I look like I'm walking on 2 carrots!!
I wear skinny jeans only with heels(NEVER with flats) and with long tunicy tops or cardigans usually.

06-03-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

hboogie i so agree - esp. on the skirt issue! If i wore skirts that were longer than my knees (which only happens occasionally since i'm petite and they might be a tough long) it would emphasize my hips and look BAD. Just the knee or slightly above.

09-03-2007
front row

I am built like this too as my measurements are 34-24-37! arrg! I wish my hips were 34" to match my bust, but I guess the good thing is that the "s-curve" is in style. Pear shape women can look hot if the lower half that you have is toned.

Have any of you heard of "escape your shape" I read about it on Ivillage.com one and it said that for this body type do lots of walking, not many resistance exercises on legs, and jump rope to lose the most inches. I used to be a 5 mile a day runner and sprinter, but once I stopped and started ONLY walking my hips and thighs went down an inch each!

& b

you basically need something to accentuate the top area to balance the hips. I.E. a very nice structured shoulder jacket. that will create an hourglass illusion if the waist is emphasized and an A line skirt.

windowshopping

What to wear if you're pear shaped
Hi everyone

Just needed some recommendation of what pear shape girls can wear, I'm particularly slim from the waistline up, however my thighs and calves are massive and have always been very insecure about wearing skirts, I get really annoyed with boots that cant fit my calves too .. pls help !

p.s my carves arent just big, but its also very short too

Thanks in advance

06-12-2007
tfs star

I have the same problem: 5'3", petitie upper-body, medium hips, huge thighs. I try to draw attention upwards and avoid anything that makes my legs look shorter.
  • Keep the top brighter/lighter than the bottom.
  • No skirts that stop mid-calf.
  • No capri/cropped pants.
  • No skinny jeans.
  • No shoes that stop at the thick part of the ankle (unless I'm wearing dark tights with dark shoes).
  • No ankle strap shoes. Never ever ever ever ever.
  • Heels whenever possible.

07-12-2007
windowshopping

Thankx for the tips, I've realised not to wear skinny jeans or shoes that stop at mid calves, still having troubles with heels though, as much as i love them, I find it much more comfortble to slip on a pair of flats, I've been desperate to get a pair of good boots, its really hard cause even if i do fit into them they will be so tight around my calves that just shows how big/bendy they are

09-12-2007
front row

I'm a pear shape too..these are some tips I have heard that you may find helpful..

Do

- wear tops that draw the attention up, frill details, puffy shoulders etc, interesting necklines.
- aline dresses.
- double breasted coats.
- patterns/prints on top.
- wide leg trousers are meant to look good, as are bootcut jeans.
- use of scarves, necklaces and other accessories to draw attention towards the top of your body.
- Apparently pears can get away with coats with asymmetrical details or interesting necklines on coats (e.g. funnel necks).
- flat fronted trousers.
- wide necklines.
- trousers with vertical stripes.
- dresses with detail at the top and plain at the bottom.

Don't

- never wear trousers with pockets at the sides as it draws attention to your hips.
- obviously never wear bright coloured bottoms.
- anything high waisted will generally not work for a pear.
- no pleated trousers/skirts as it will add volume.
- mini skirts are bad.
- obviously don't wear bulky materials on the bottom or sequins/satin materials which attract attention as they are light reflecting!
- short jackets (i.e. cropped) look bad in my experience.
- mini dresses with loads of detail (e.g. bright colours, sequins,frills) at the bottom of the dress. I'm 5'8" and mini dresses just about cover my bum - therefore any detail at the bottom of the minidress is highlighting my worst bits!
- no tops/dresses that end on your hips/bum as it stops at your biggest area!

That's all I can think of right now, hope that helps!

09-12-2007
front row

Im a pear and traditionally halterneck tops and dresses are usually flattering. I love being a pear though, I have a great booty but small boobs so I dont have to always were a bra. You should always start with loving your shape first!

07-05-2008
Power to the 99%

Separates, definitely separates

07-05-2008
front row

Hmm I don't think all pears should abandon the mini skirt

I'm a pear too (32 23 36) but with skinny legs; I used to wear low-cut tops with jeans but as you can imagine that emphasizes my... pear-shaped-ness! Now I opt for a pretty but demure top with a skirt and heels or wedges - it flaunts purdy legs and makes the most of my lower curves while prettifying my top without showing off how ...*ahem* modest it is!

Korshunova.Roslyakova.Kershaw.Ellingson.Farkullina.Onopka.Horst.Tretter.Celaya

19-12-2008
front row

Who is the woman in the third pic in #3? Jennifer Lopez?

19-12-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Looks like it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pear, shaped, wear