How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2008
trendsetter

I'm not pear-shaped, but I subscribe to a thread on Star Style of a socialite who is pear-shaped: Dasha Zhukova. She is very slender, but has narrow shoulders and distinctly wider hips. She seems to dress extremely well for her body type, so I recommend checking out her thread.

02-05-2009
Power to the 99%

bumping for Evy

02-05-2009
Evy
front row

Ooh, thanks Ta-Ta!

Being pear shaped can be a bit tricky. I realized only recently that this is my bodytype. I wouldn't get why skinny jeans and flats wouldn't suit me! I also look kinda awkward wearing leggings that stop in the middle of the calves.

Thinking about it, there are quite a lot of celebrities with this bodytype - I'm thinking Leighton Meester, Kate Hudson, Rachel Bilson, Eva Longoria, Lauren Conrad... A good way to find some inspiration and knowing what to avoid and what to do.

I'm posting a picture of Lauren: isn't it amazing what the clothes you choose do for/against your body?

skinnyvscurvy.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lauren-conrad-1-girl-3-outfits.jpg (74.2 KB, 24 views)

02-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Those pix remind me ... I too am pear shaped and I remember one guy who really loved me in leggings. It's always interesting to get the guy's perspective, because they often appreciate things we do not

02-05-2009
Evy
front row

Really? I guess it depends on the length of the leggings. I'd say it's ok if it stops at the ankle and not in the middle of the calf? When I wear leggings and flats I feel chunky...

But I'd say most men love curvy hips and thighs.

I also think that skinny jeans can actually look really good on a pear. It's all about the colour (dark) and wearing heels!

02-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Oh, really They were full-length leggings, but that was not his concern He liked being able to see the exact shape of my legs, from what I could gather

02-05-2009
tfs star

I'm somewhat pear shaped and I think it looks perfectly fine when I wear skinny jeans with flats. I'm also not a heels girl to begin with and don't care to wear them.

02-05-2009
Fashion Designer

its just a matter of proportion, you can have a pear shaped because your chest is very narrow compared to your hips or if your chest is average and your hips are wider.

first example mishca, second jlo
celebcity-xarj.net

thats why i dont think same advice is for every one with a pear shaped body, and the shape of the legs has a lot to do with it. i have wide hips but skinny legs so i cant wear full skirts because ill end up looking like a chicken lol. or a pencil skit that is too thight on the leg area so my legs would look like turkey legs lol again.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 02-05-2009 at 09:58 PM. Reason: picture not working
04-05-2009
front row

^ I agree! I have narrow hips, with a butt (well compared to the rest of me), thin thighs, and HUGE calves!! i get insecure sometimes just thinking about myself in shorts or a skirt

05-05-2009
Power to the 99%

You know, I realized after reviving this thread that I used to be pear-shaped when I was younger, but am not any longer ... I'll retire to the curvy thread now Has this happened to anyone else?

05-05-2009
Fashion Designer

sort of, my hips used to be wider than my shoulder but not that much and my waist small, now after gaining some pounds i put them on my butt but not as much as i did on my chest and waist so now i am more proportioned but on the curvy side as well, not really curvy but yeah.

27-07-2010
V.I.P.

bump! anyone has any recommendations for jean shorts on a pear shape? should I go mid thigh or bermuda style?

28-07-2010
V.I.P.

I'm pear shaped too and I own a pair of tight and low rise knee lenght bermudas and let me tell you that's the last thing you should wear when you're pear shaped I love them, but I every time I'm wearing them people asked me if I gained some weight.

I've found loose mid thigh shorts to be the most flattering on a pear shape, and they should always be mid rise (I prefer my jeans to be low rise, but with shorts it doesn't look good when you're pear shaped). And I also love mini shorts

28-07-2010
V.I.P.

good to know that about bermudas..haven't tried a pair since I was 18 and I had a very different body then! So I guess this is the type I should search for..

denimology

I like it but I hope I can find some cheap versions of them since these are Alexander Wang and the like..very pricey. I hope Zara or Topshop carry similar styles. Thanks for the advice psylocke!!

28-07-2010
V.I.P.

You're welcome!
Your examples are great, especially the first one and the one of Kate look awesome. I definitely think these would work on a pear shape (of course it also depends a bit on your legs and all). I'm sure there are some less expensive shorts in that style, I've seen lots of them in the sales everywhere.

(In the last pic - is it Rachel Bilson? - why the heck is she wearing a top with huge shoulders with those loose shorts? Makes her look really short.)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pear, shaped, wear