How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2006
backstage pass

Pear-Shaped (Teardrop) Figures
Hi all, I couldn't find a thread about this, so I figured I would create one. I'd like to discuss fashion issues specific to the pear-shaped figure. (FYI, you are pear-shaped if your hips are much wider than your waist, and you tend to put on weight in your hips/thighs/bum.)

I have plenty to say about this but I'm wondering what everyone else has to say about it! For one thing, what do you think of belts for pear-shaped figures?

17-02-2006
rising star

I'm kinda pear-ish... I'm not a big belt person... but probably a bigger belt would look better than a thinner one

19-02-2006
front row

beyonce-knowles6.jpg

beyonce-knowles22.jpg

JL006.thumb.jpg

010_G.thumb.jpg
These are some of my favorite teardrop shaped women. They always wear things that extremely accentuate the waist ..alot of times that means exposing it completely. Being Teardrop shaped is funny cuz those girls usually work so hard to try to minimize their lower half but what they should do is take just as much time or more to keep their middle look spectacularly sexy. The combination of a tight, elongated tummy with a neat curve in the waist make for a bodacious and suave silhouette

19-02-2006
front row

oh and far as belts it just depends. If you are wearing something more thin and slinky then put on a bigger belt if you are wearing a fitted sweater or something do a skinny belt with low rise pants....never ever wear a huge belt on curvy hips it makes them look GINORMOUS

19-02-2006
tfs star

I have to disagree, belts can be great! It really depends on the exact form of your curves, the thickness, shape and placement of the belt, and the rest of the outfit. Experiment.

I have a thinner waist and fuller hips, and some thicker belts really flatter me. Placed correctly they can accentuate the narrow waist while minimizing the outward curve of the hips.

21-02-2006
backstage pass

Do you find it is better to wear belts and pants waists higher (near the waist) or lower (near the hips)?

In the latter case, the pants waists or belts have to be much longer (because our hips are much wider than our waists), but I usually wear them here. otherwise I feel I look like I flare out under it. (I think that pants waist and belts give a sort of horizonal line that causes you to see the person you're looking at in 2 halves...and they should look balanced) On the other hand, you're "highlighting" this wide area by putting a horizonal line right there...

Also, what about asymmetrical lines here, like a slanted belt? And buckles? I find bigger buckles are less flattering on me... Not sure why.

Last edited by Yasmin; 21-02-2006 at 10:52 AM.
02-03-2007
tfs star

*bump*

In need of some fashion tips for a pear-shaped figure

02-03-2007
backstage pass

I think I have a pear-shaped body. eh. And I look unproportionate :S but one thing, I don't think pear-shaped women should wear high-waist pants!! On a thin figure, high-waist pants could give women more shape in their hips, but if you already have curvy hips, it will just look worse :[ so I think lower-cut pants are much more flattering and doesn't accentuate the hips more than is needed. Also, to balance out the body, empire-waists are so flattering with fitted jeans!

02-03-2007
tfs star

At the same time though, I think too low-waisted jeans will also accentuate wider hips and make the legs look shorter, which is a problem for me as my legs are already quite short

02-03-2007
fashion icon

I agree on empire waist tops or dresses! Here are some other tips from ivillage.com:
  • Skirts: Fuller, below-the-knee skirts conceal wider hips. Avoid high-waisted pencil skirts and opt for A-line styles and skirts with hemline details, which balance your shape.
  • Trousers: Sport fuller, wide-leg pants. Avoid cropped pants, which make your legs look shorter.
  • Dresses: Well defined waists with fuller skirts can hide a multitude of sins! Try strapless or V-neck styles to draw the eye upward and away from your lower half.
  • Jackets: Damn those shrunken-style jackets that are so in right now! They only draw attention to hips and backsides. Stick to longer jackets that camouflage the hip area.
  • Tops/Sweaters: Whenever possible, go with halter styles and boat necks, which create the illusion of broader shoulders. So do cardigans with horizontal stripes. Steer clear of clingy or tight tops.

02-03-2007
front row

^ I also think skirts that hit just above the knee and mini-skirts look great. Just not anything like a pencil skirt that goes in at the bottom.

I prefer lower-waisted pants and longer tops...I'm also short so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I like to make the top of my hips look like part of my top half so that it shows off the waist.

02-03-2007
V.I.P.

I am pear-shaped too.

Thanks kellynjane

03-03-2007
trendsetter

Are the women Jate posted really pear shaped? Because their shoulders and hips look about the same to me. Maybe I have misconceptions about the shape.

03-03-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavement
Are the women Jate posted really pear shaped? Because their shoulders and hips look about the same to me. Maybe I have misconceptions about the shape.
I don't think it's quite common for hips to be wider than the shoulders.
A pear shape means that the hips are wider than the bust.

03-03-2007
trendsetter

Oh. That makes much more sense.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pear, shaped, wear