How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-04-2011
fashion icon

Hello my loves.
I have the mother of all job interviews in just a little over one weeks time for an airline. I do not particularly want to wear all black and I still want to express a little of who I am. Would wearing an electic blue,knee length dress with a peter pan collar be acceptable,with black tights and black heels? Or is this not formal enough?

29-04-2013
V.I.P.

Are people meant to dress up for job interviews via Skype/video chat? I just had a semi-formal job interview where I was caught by surprise when I was asked to turn on the webcam during a Skype call. I was wearing a black hoodie and grey sweatpants and my cats were lounging around on the sofa in the background

29-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I have never done an interview that way, but I would def expect to be warned (ahead of time) ... possibly this surprise is part of their interview technique. I would wonder what extra 'surprises' there might be if I took the job.

29-04-2013
V.I.P.

I'm not really interested in that particular job anyway as it's not really what I'm looking for and yeah, my impression of how they do business wasn't the best either But I definitely want to be better prepared for future video interviews. It would seem too unnatural to me to wear something elegant, more officewear-like when being interviewed from home. But at least my apartment is always clean and tidy :p Would just wearing a simple black t-shirt and a pair of jeans be ok? (I'm applying for internships in digital marketing/pr)

29-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I think so In my case, they would be lucky not to catch me in my leopard print flannel PJs!

29-04-2013
trendsetter

It's funny I thought the same thing yesterday, about dressing for Skype inteview, that is.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
29-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I think so In my case, they would be lucky not to catch me in my leopard print flannel PJs!

And did you come to a conclusion about what would be an appropriate outfit for a Skype interview, Jinadaze?

29-04-2013
front row

Haha, I've been thinking about that too... I've been applying to jobs in a city that's 3h away from me and I was wondering whether some of them would want to do skype interviews... I'd feel weird all dressed up at home.

29-04-2013
rising star

An interview is an interview is an interview ! ...It doesn't matter where it takes place.

Formal business dress is a better option than jeans and a T-shirt.

In other words, a collared shirt/blouse under a suit jacket and with a tie if you're a guy.

29-04-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post

And did you come to a conclusion about what would be an appropriate outfit for a Skype interview, Jinadaze?
With the white wall behind my table where I'm usually behind my laptop at (so not at all messy), I would probably just wear a simple black top of any kind, nothing too formal or even fancy, because I would feel stupid/weird. Hopefully I would make a good graphic impact.
The bigger problem would be that I don't wear any MU at home and I look sick without it, so I would definitely panicked if called so randomly and unprepared.

29-04-2013
Power to the 99%

I work in a business casual environment, and even in the office, people who come in to interview can look silly because they're so overdressed. Especially if the interview's on Friday and everyone is wearing jeans. How much more so if you're sitting there in your home office in a 3-piece suit with only the cat, dog, and webcam looking on

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 29-04-2013 at 09:19 PM.
30-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
With the white wall behind my table where I'm usually behind my laptop at (so not at all messy), I would probably just wear a simple black top of any kind, nothing too formal or even fancy, because I would feel stupid/weird. Hopefully I would make a good graphic impact.
The bigger problem would be that I don't wear any MU at home and I look sick without it, so I would definitely panicked if called so randomly and unprepared.
Ah yes, that's a good idea about making sure there's just the white wall and nothing distracting in the background
I was wearing my make-up when making that call, but I still looked awful since it was late (the position I was interviewed for is in another time zone), I'd had a really long day at work, was sweaty and tired and dressed like a total slob. I just remembered I have a nice Jil Sander silk-cashmere sweater that would look good on screen, I will start storing that one in my desk so I can put it on whenever I get a Skype call from an interviewer, and I will also add a brush, mascara and facial powder to that emergency kit

30-04-2013
trendsetter

Haha, sounds like a good solution.

11-05-2013
fashion icon

Can I ask what sort of coat is acceptable for a job interview? Because I have the dress etc sorted out, I just never know what to finish it off with.

12-05-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I would just say something serious ... I have a (wool-lined) trench I've been wearing for lo these many, I always wear that if it's coat weather.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
interview, job, wear