How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-08-2005
rising star

Dress for success
My question relates to an important sales presentation that I have to make in early October and I'm trying to decide what to wear. For some reason I feel most confident when I wear knee length pencil skirts and knee high boots with stilettoes. Something similar to this:

Do any of you wear something similar when you have to put your best foot forward? Or....do you have another outfit that makes you feel confident?

08-08-2005
V.I.P.

^ That's about right for me, too!

A pencil skirt, sheath dress or wide leg trouser always makes me feel professional and pulled together. A nice classic pump or boot, too. I think you're on the right track, Em

09-08-2005
windowshopping

I think jcrew suits do the job, and they usually have some really different options as to how to wear in their catalogs that you could get ideas from

10-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious
^ That's about right for me, too!

A pencil skirt, sheath dress or wide leg trouser always makes me feel professional and pulled together. A nice classic pump or boot, too. I think you're on the right track, Em
Definately pencil skirts for me. Along with a crisp Oxford button down shirt. With maybe a blazer on top.

"When your life goes up in smoke, then you know it's time for a promotion" --Nigel in The Devil Wears Prada.
09-01-2006
front row

Job interview clothing emergency!
I have an important interview on Thursday at a PR-agency. I'm applying for a job as a PR-assistant and I don't know what to wear really. I don't want to be looking too corporate and formal, but not to casual either.. I need advice you guys!

09-01-2006
slightly dizzy

Dressy casual? I guess it depends on the agency, but they aren't that formal usually. I'm a guy, but still... If the interview is here in Stockholm, they might see you coming and going in the winter cold. Good boots or shoes (not too high and unstable), jeans or other casual trousers that still look neat, merino/cashmere sweater or some other good top, blazer, good simple leather bag, leather gloves, wool coat (or any outerwear except for a Canada Goose down jacket)?

I think it's generally a good idea to look a bit polished, but not stressed. Nothing too trendy, too tight, very flashy, very girly.

Understated but strong style. Black, navy, grey, cream, white or muted browns/purples. Maybe some strong accent colour. Make them see that you pay attention to design and quality, but is not a slave to fashion.

09-01-2006
Adorable illusion

usually I would wear a shirt and smart trousers for interviews.

09-01-2006
windowshopping

such a dilemna...i'd say go for simple, chic, and preferably high quality, cuz it always shows. nice trousers best shoes and a knit top maybe? i am a black freak so i would wear my best black pieces with some cool eyewear..good luck!

09-01-2006
front row

I really appreciate all of your help.. you've given me a lot if ideas. The agency is not that formal. I've met the people who work there before and some are very neat, tidy and corporate while others are pretty casual. that's why I'm a bit concerned and confused.

and tott, I wouldn't put on a Canada Goose jacket if my life depended on it.

09-01-2006
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede_
and tott, I wouldn't put on a Canada Goose jacket if my life depended on it.
I guessed you wouldn't.

09-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
I guessed you wouldn't.
just the thought of those jackets makes me cringe

It's always easier to list the don'ts than the dos when you have an outfit emergency

09-01-2006
trendsetter

I would say just a white button-up with a nice pair of black trousers, or even a black skirt. Throw a coulorful shoe or neclace in the mix as well, just to give it a bit of a youthful edge.

09-01-2006
slightly dizzy

Swedish corporate style (or lack of style sometimes...) is generally very, very casual. A simple white buttondown shirt can almost be too stuffy and dressy at times, even at the highest corporate level depending on the line of business. With or without a tie.

Banking/law are the last bastions of formal dressing, I suppose...

07-05-2006
windowshopping

St Barth interview
I'm going to be heading to St Barth this summer to apply for a job at various clothing stores (I can't handle another winter here). Anyway, what would be appropriate to wear in such a place? I would like to look elegance and put together, but not stuffy or too much for such a hot climate. I'm male, about 5'11, 125 pounds, dark blonde-brown hair, tan, light blue eyes. Any ideas? All I have so far is some 3/4 length dress pants, cotton shirt and cotton blazer with some very nice sandals...

Last edited by danielboy76; 07-05-2006 at 05:31 PM.
10-07-2006
front row

Interview outfit "rules"
As a graduate I'm about to embark on a serious round of interviews. Obviously, my student style of jeans and funky tops with plenty of jewellery is not going to go over well. I've bought a couple of pieces, but I need inspiration.

what do you all wear to impress? whether at an interview or other formal occasion?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
interview, job, wear