How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-10-2006
windowshopping

Job Interview what to wear (mode industry)
Hello,
I have a job interview next week and I do not know what to wear ! I would normally wear a smart trouser suit, Todīs pumps, business bag, white blouse.

Nevertheless, I am not sure this is the appropriate outfit. It might be too "Businesslike", too "Clean" for the fashion Industry.

Anyone here who works in the fashion industry, und whose job is to interview people ? How should I dress ? Is a bit of fantasy OK ? One couture piece, one eye-catcher ? What about designer clothes ? Should I avoid pieces which origins are easy to identify (Vuitton bag, .... ) ? I had a look at their homepage, they all seem to dress very casual according to the pictures(Jeans).

I apply for a job in intern sales.

any piece of advice is very very welcomed

Thank you

13-10-2006
V.I.P.

Where are you applying?

13-10-2006
front row

Difficult to say without knowing what you plan to do. The best thing to do would be to go on a scouting mission to the firm which will be interviewing you. Check out how people there are dressed. If that's not possible, then here are some generic tips covering various aspects of working on Planet Fashion.

If applying for the PR side of things, a conservative business style is fine unless it's one of those really 'hip' PR agencies where everyone affects the boy/girl band look. If you're planning to work for a fashion house, one good piece mixed in with normal street clothes is a good idea, being chic yet unpretentious. Just make sure that it's not a piece by the designer's worst enemy! Some of them can take offence easily. If going for a job in the media, normal street clothes by respectable firms like APC and Tod's will be fine, mixed with something like a Margiela teeshirt or pullover - which can be a couple of years old - and a nice handbag. Again, with the bag, classic counts for a lot. Borrow something beautiful from an elderly aunt or even a grandmother. If you prefer to tote a more modern bag, then maybe your mother has something interesting by Gucci or even Roger Vivier.

But remember that if you turn up wearing all the latest gear ā la Paris Hilton, you risk intimidating your future boss - All About Eve syndrome - and/or giving the impression that you're a rich kid who won't need a salary. Low profile but smart and chic is the order of the day, especially as a beginner or an intern. Keep the hair and makeup low key too.

PK

Last edited by prosperk; 13-10-2006 at 08:27 PM.
13-10-2006
windowshopping

Maybe it's just me, but as far as I know salespeople are expected to dress the most conservatively to represent their company in a good light. In some sales circles, it is believed that those with most conservative and tasteful dress sense are more effective at sales.

I would wear a skirt suit instead of a trouser suit for this interview.

Good Luck,
Agatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyNY
Hello,
I have a job interview next week and I do not know what to wear ! I would normally wear a smart trouser suit, Todīs pumps, business bag, white blouse.

Nevertheless, I am not sure this is the appropriate outfit. It might be too "Businesslike", too "Clean" for the fashion Industry.

Anyone here who works in the fashion industry, und whose job is to interview people ? How should I dress ? Is a bit of fantasy OK ? One couture piece, one eye-catcher ? What about designer clothes ? Should I avoid pieces which origins are easy to identify (Vuitton bag, .... ) ? I had a look at their homepage, they all seem to dress very casual according to the pictures(Jeans).

I apply for a job in intern sales.

any piece of advice is very very welcomed

Thank you

14-10-2006
TKO
rising star

i have a dental school interview in 2 one week and dress should be conservative. Anyone know of the rule on black suits... im reading black is okay and black is not okay from different websites.

15-10-2006
elementary.

for a uni interview . . a black tulip skirt w/pale blue loose shirt & fitted black linen jackt?
*i'll post a pic in a few . . .
i want to look chic & young but fairly smart too!
any other suggestions?

*tko! black is ok but if you want to be smthn different from the masses of black suits they'll see
i suggest a dark dark navy

Last edited by i_<3_chanel; 15-10-2006 at 12:36 PM.
15-10-2006
V.I.P.

Not linen. Loose in what way, collar-less? The tulip sounds cute.

15-10-2006
scenester

TKO, I would think the dental school interviews is similar to med school ones--everyone wears black or navy. On the student doctor network forums (forums.studentdoctor.net) under pre-allopathic, there are a couple threads on interview attire. Just don't wear hunter green . . .

For interviews I always end up overdressed compared to the people who work in the place. I interviewed at a corporate pharmaceuticals and research places, and most of the people were wearing t-shirts and shorts. For any job that is based more on selling an artistic vision, you would probably have a lot more freedom. But, for the most part, I was told to always wear a suit. Better to be sure, I suppose.

Last edited by dentrobatidae; 15-10-2006 at 09:19 PM.
16-10-2006
elementary.

you can't tell it's linen though. it's just very lightweight to wear!
either way i'm wearing it . . & not collarless, just not a very fitted shirt . .
jackts aren't essential so it should be ok!

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Is it always best to wear a suit, rather than a pair of nice trousers/skirt with a fitted, button top?

16-10-2006
tfs star

I think it all depends. I think it would be better to wear a smart pair of trousers and smart shirt/blouse rather then an ill fitting/unflattering suit.

16-10-2006
V.I.P.

When I went to apply at Macy's earlier this summer, I had read stuff on how to dress and even had a lady come in to talk about interviewing in my Adult Living class. People certainly weren't dressed for it-there was one girl in a button-down and slacks, and then I wore an orange polo shirt with a white camisole underneath (to show no cleavage) and a long blue skirt. However two girls wore jeans, one wore a jean jacket, and another wore a pretty low-cut top. So when I went in for my interview at Bath and Body Works, I wore a snap-front beige shirt from Target and black gaucho pants. And I got the job. A lot of people don't realize that it's not just the clothes, but the whole package when applying for jobs. I was told as far as jewelry goes, either no earrings or one small pair of studs, one small necklace, no bracelets, and the only ring should be a wedding ring. Some girls at my Macy's interview wore perfume which is a no-no, so perfume and body sprays are out of the question as well. And makeup should be very conservative-a neutral eyeshadow, a little mascara, and lip balm. That's what I was told, at least.

21-10-2006
TKO
rising star

Hi guys, i have a interview on tuesday and any input on what i plan to wear would be appreciated. I need to look conservative so i should go with a standard white shirt rather than the striped one? Darker tie with black suit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006_1020Pics0007.JPG (153.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2006_1020Pics0012.JPG (256.4 KB, 3 views)

21-10-2006
rising star

I'd go with the white shirt, dark suit and a dark coloured or black tie.

For the ladies, white shirt/thin sweater with a dark suit.

I'm amazed that people will go for an interview wearing jeans, T-shirts and sneakers !

Last edited by Sheeam; 21-10-2006 at 05:59 PM.
23-10-2006
elementary.

tko second shirt/tie combo! ;]

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
interview, job, wear