What to wear to prom or homecoming - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2004
V.I.P.

sorry but i liked it before better.

23-04-2004
windowshopping

Hi! I'm very new to the forum, so I thought I might invite you to check out my huge collection of chandelier earrings ... (link in signature).
I agree chandelier earrings will look great with that outfit!

24-04-2004
V.I.P.

I would say gold high heeled strapy sandals, simply earings , and nic elong thin necklace ( may be small pearls of a thin chain)

front row

I wanna say a BIG THANK YOU to all you guys!

backstage pass

Sorry to start another prom thread, but I need help...

I was just asked to the senior prom, which is in about two weeks. Luckily, I have a dress because I just went thrift/vintage shopping and picked up a beautiful vintage wedding dress ($25! ). It's long and cream-colored with lace at the bottom of an otherwise plain skirt (not full, but with subtle pleats--not bad ones--going out from the waist). The top is plain like the skirt except that it is covered by another sort of lace top that also forms the sleeves. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's beautiful. The sleeves go to just above my elbows, but I'm going to have them cut shorter to make it a bit more youthful.

What a bad description, so sorry.

So here's the problem: How do I keep from looking like a bride in this dress? It's not obvious that it's a wedding dress or anything, but if I'm not careful I could end up looking like I'm about to get married! My mom suggested using a colorful shawl instead of the stole that it came with (which is beautiful, so I'm sorry), but I wondered what you guys might suggest.

I also don't know what to do with my hair. If you've ever seen Bend It Like Beckham, my hair is similar to Keira Knightley's hair as Jules. Should I just wear it as is? I thought about curling it, but that was when I realized that I would look like a bride.

Jewelry suggestions? The neckline goes up to the bottom of my neck, so I can't really wear a necklace. My mom suggested pearl studs, but I'm not sure. I like the idea of pearls, though, and I would add a matching pearl bracelet. Hrm...

Shoes are taken care of (hard to see them anyway because the dress is long--they're pretty plain). What do you think about makeup? I don't use much even when dressed up.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help. I know that I'm worrying too much about this, but that's half the fun--right?

Also, no pictures because I have neither scanner nor digital camera. Plus I'm paranoid.

09-05-2004
backstage pass

Examples of the hairstyle I mean (in case it's important for advice):
http://kkgallery.free.fr/BILBcaps/cwdata/cap008.html
http://kkgallery.free.fr/BILBcaps/cwdata/cap005.html
http://kkgallery.free.fr/BILBcaps/cwdata/cap084.html

Mine's a bit longer now, but I'm about to get it cut again.

Err, right. If you still can't see it there are zillions of screenshots online.

I also just realized how many times I apologized in that last post. Just ignore that.

09-05-2004
backstage pass

From what I saw of the pictures from the junior prom at my school this year, most of the girls had white dresses. Because yours is more of a cream I wouldn't worry so much about looking like a bride. you might consider adding a light green or pink ribbon at the waist line? This may be too busy looking though with the lace. I like your mother's idea about the colorful shawl. Or maybe a pink stole? I think they have some on that Windsor online store....but I'm not sure if you could get it shipped in time?

Hair wise, I face the same dilemna as you. My hair is pretty much the same as hers, and well, I'm guessing yours. Curling would be elegant but I"m not sure how well that would work depending on the severity of the ends of your hair. I'd get it done at a salon and see what they think.

Jewelery-wise, I think pearls are right on target. And what about a choker?

I understand what you mean about looking like a bride, but I think as long as you don't have a huge veil and a big rock on your finger, it won't be a big issue. Get a wrist corsage, this'll help as well.

09-05-2004
V.I.P.

If you're feeling brave, how about embracing the whole bride thing, but twisting it. Going Gothic Lolita with dark eyeshadow and black nailpolish and maybe even adding some black ribbon, around your neck even... I'm off to find some pictures of what I mean. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but since we seem to have fairly similar taste, I thought it might work for you. Anyway, we'll see.

09-05-2004
V.I.P.

Maybe like the girl in the bottom left hand picture?

09-05-2004
V.I.P.

This site has a ton of good pictures, if you like the look:
http://www.blue-period.fsnet.co.uk/egl3.html

A couple examples with dresses that seem similar to yours...
http://www.blue-period.fsnet.co.uk/g...bible6/027.jpg
http://mysite.freeserve.com/revesdelamort/8_009.html
http://mysite.freeserve.com/revesdelamort/8_016.html

09-05-2004
backstage pass

Hm...not quite, purple, but my description wasn't very specific. Okay let's see if I can describe it in terms of this dress: http://www.antiquedress.com/item3911.htm

It's a lot like this one, but the skirt is not lacy except for the bottom edge. Also, the skirt of mine is longer and more fitted than this skirt. As for the top, mine is a lot like this except that the lace over the main bodice extends up to the neck as well as down the sleeves to just above the elbow with a bit of a flare (which I'm about to cut shorter anyway, though, so these photos are more like how it will be). Oh, and the back goes all the way up, too.

Does that make more sense?

09-05-2004
backstage pass

Oops, I only saw the first picture post and I thought you were asking if that looked like my dress! Silly me. Well, at least you have a decent picture of it now.

I like where you're going with this, though. I just hope that I'm brave enough for something like that--I mean, it isn't exactly my prom--you know?

Holly--Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm glad that I probably won't be the only one in white/cream! I like the idea of asking a stylist about my hair, and I think I'll try when I get my hair cut.

09-05-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by eloes@May 9th, 2004 - 10:21 pm
http://www.antiquedress.com/item3911.htm
That's a lovely dress eloes. Yup, I was just posting those links in terms of similar looks. Do you actually like the looks though, or should I stop suggesting along those lines?...

09-05-2004
backstage pass

I do like the looks. I was thinking about something like that when I first bought the dress (thinking that I would have the whole year until my junior prom to mull it over ), but I don't want to be uber-extreme at a prom that isn't my own. Do you have any suggestions for slightly subtler ways to give that sort of impression? I love what you've been posting, and maybe if you post more of the same I'll be inspired...

Also, lots of the seniors see me as shy because I have classes with them, etc and I can be pretty quiet in school with people I donít know well. Itís something Iím trying hard to get over.

Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

09-05-2004
V.I.P.

Less extreme it is.
I guess I've been thinking too much along the lines of what I would do with a dress like that...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
homecoming, prom, wear