How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
16-10-2009
  136
V.I.P.
 
gossiping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: united kingdom
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,142
i have not heard of it but i know what you mean they also like stuff such as the view, enemy, maccabees too ugh. worst part is they always deny the chav part hahaa

__________________
  Reply With Quote
 
16-10-2009
  137
Riot Bug
 
ediewho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valencia(Spain)/London
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,787
mardybum8 thanks yeah they are getting so argh but im still loving those boots...:p
And yeah bags can be a bit argh but im used to carry a lot of stuff being a rock photographer... i guess not having all of that and i would feel like naked... maybe a bit more liberated... and also not taking pics at a gig depresses me...



--
By the way, related to some previous comments..my buddy dresses this way at all the times... so its not like overdressing to her

__________________
"I don't know there's a code to live by it's almost like a code to dead by" C. Robinson
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2009
  138
front row
 
mardybum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear View Post
Of course I have, I get sent it all for free and do listen to everything, whether I have preconceptions of it or not. Thats how you find the gems. I remember thinking there was a couple of good moments early on, can't remember the name of it but the promo copy came wrapped in a flag. I read the interviews and they come across very badly, and musically I find them rather derivative and unoriginal, although their last album is much more experimental in comparison.

And of course you probably haven't heard of 'chindie', but I assume you don't work in music so it might not be a commonplace expression in your town etc.
Sorry my comment was a bit patronising, I was having a bad day yesterday I get a bit defensive of this 'lad rock' tag they've been branded with, just because they're a little bit cocky and believe in their music they get branded with this horrid label that most journalists use when they're being lazy and see that the band are from somewhere north of Watford

I understand why you don't like then they're not for everyone obviously but when I saw the kooks in the same list that also triggered me off

I know what group of people you're reffering to but I don't understand how they can be a chav and indie at the same time, surely it just totally contradicts both definations of the word?

Indie is a dying breed. You can't be 'independent' anymore when everyone is dressing the same, it's not a sub-culture anymore either it's being merged into popular culture which again completely defies the object. Same goes music wise, all the 'indie' bands are being snapped up by major record labels therefore not so 'independent' anymore

I hate all these little boxes that everyone and every band must fit in

---------

My boots are so worn out! I need some new ones but they don't look right to me when they're all new, I like them aged a bit

__________________
"f*ck fashion, let's smoke menthol" Alison Mosshart
  Reply With Quote
16-10-2009
  139
backstage pass
 
Mindbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardybum8 View Post
Sorry my comment was a bit patronising, I was having a bad day yesterday I get a bit defensive of this 'lad rock' tag they've been branded with, just because they're a little bit cocky and believe in their music they get branded with this horrid label that most journalists use when they're being lazy and see that the band are from somewhere north of Watford

I understand why you don't like then they're not for everyone obviously but when I saw the kooks in the same list that also triggered me off

I know what group of people you're reffering to but I don't understand how they can be a chav and indie at the same time, surely it just totally contradicts both definations of the word?

Indie is a dying breed. You can't be 'independent' anymore when everyone is dressing the same, it's not a sub-culture anymore either it's being merged into popular culture which again completely defies the object. Same goes music wise, all the 'indie' bands are being snapped up by major record labels therefore not so 'independent' anymore

I hate all these little boxes that everyone and every band must fit in
I like you Seriously, it's fantastic to hear someone talking about the death of indie with such passion, because no sod does around me anymore except for my boss, who is 37, and my other half who is 29, so we were both around for the time that indie was actually independent. I love topshop, but it is partially responsible, because it saw indie was cool, and bought it up wholesale and then put the uniform under one roof for everyone to buy and look the same in. I go into Oxford Circus TS every week, and I hear the same things that I thought I'd found to play that were special, but oh no, because they've employed one of my mates to find cool stuff to play, so I'm there listening to Duchess Says thinking 'eh?'. It winds me up because as you say, there is no subculture anymore, and on top of that, my job is particularly hard because due to the internet, everything is so fractured, it's hard to pick out the stuff that people are going to know because there aren't many unifying bands anymore, unless you're a dj that plays utter rubbish like The Enemy etc, it's a guessing game. Sorry if i'm babbling btw, but it drives me MAD.

And i've said it before, but when I started going to Reading festival, it was £45 (I was 12, a very naughty 12) and it didn't sell out and there were NO sponsors. What ruined indie? Everyone got greedy.

  Reply With Quote
16-10-2009
  140
backstage pass
 
Mindbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossiping View Post
i have not heard of it but i know what you mean they also like stuff such as the view, enemy, maccabees too ugh. worst part is they always deny the chav part hahaa
And yes, bang on!

  Reply With Quote
18-10-2009
  141
V.I.P.
 
jennifer~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 8,295
I often wear massive platforms to see above the crowd, but I find platforms more comfortable than traditional heels. That's how I can bear it. The heels are thick and that alleviates some pressure, plus the arch isn't as pronounced. Hey, people could dance in discos all night, wearing them in the '70s...

My clothes have never gotten messed up and I'm always in the rough spots, wanting to get as near to the stage as possible. I just hate bringing a purse when I don't have any pockets (which I usually don't, since I usually wear dresses). I dress up really fancily then stand like, right in the middle of a mosh pit just to get closer. It must be a sight.

__________________
no fun
  Reply With Quote
19-10-2009
  142
V.I.P.
 
gossiping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: united kingdom
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer~ View Post
I often wear massive platforms to see above the crowd
me too it's not girls who are the problem but the 6'6" men!

__________________
  Reply With Quote
19-10-2009
  143
Plain Ol' Beautiful
 
irulan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,483
I tend to wear platforms, too as I'm never close to the stage and want to have a good view. I prefer standing somewhat in the middle, close to the bar. I drink some beer, watch the band play, have a chit-chat. As I'm having Phoenix and Matt&Kim on my list for fall, I guess I will be fine with that.
But I have to say, I hate that it's always fall when the good bands come to play, you always have to bring a jacket and a purse and tons of stuff. I have had the most horrible experiences with local cloakrooms.

__________________
I'm an ice queen, Iím the Sun King, Iím an alien fleeing from District 9 and Iím a dominatrix. So I reckon that makes me a lukewarm royalty with a whip from outer space.
  Reply With Quote
20-10-2009
  144
V.I.P.
 
gossiping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: united kingdom
Gender: femme
Posts: 15,142
ya i hate having to bring stuff, i always make it if there is a guy i go with that he carries my wallet etc in his pockets

__________________
  Reply With Quote
25-11-2009
  145
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 28
What a perfect thread!

Well.. I always seem to have to wear some item of leather, my music is heavy rock &metal so it seems to fit, so normally my outfits are either leather/pvc leggings and an americal apparell tee, or a band tee (but never the one I'm going to see) and my biker boots which I wear so much they just get more and more worn and look fab!

I'm trying to venture away from leather, but i. just. can't. do. it!

  Reply With Quote
04-12-2009
  146
This is the Renaissance
 
cygnenoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 724
Sorry, I wandered from this thread, but I have to say that I LOVE the term "chindie"! Of course, I'm in the states where, while we have chav-like elements, we have no actual chavs. But I look forward to saying that to someone!

I think that regional musical movements and their associated dress are so fascinating. I also think it's interesting when a band that has a particular reputation in one country are perceived differently in another.

For example, Stereophonics are considered a sort of new-ish underground indie band in the states. This is because they are mostly unknown here, play small clubs and people don't know that they have like a zillion albums. Same with Kasabian, they aren't that big here, so people into them here are mostly record store/indie radio types, not the mainstream fashionable crowd.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
04-12-2009
  147
backstage pass
 
Mindbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnenoir View Post
Sorry, I wandered from this thread, but I have to say that I LOVE the term "chindie"! Of course, I'm in the states where, while we have chav-like elements, we have no actual chavs. But I look forward to saying that to someone!

I think that regional musical movements and their associated dress are so fascinating. I also think it's interesting when a band that has a particular reputation in one country are perceived differently in another.

For example, Stereophonics are considered a sort of new-ish underground indie band in the states. This is because they are mostly unknown here, play small clubs and people don't know that they have like a zillion albums. Same with Kasabian, they aren't that big here, so people into them here are mostly record store/indie radio types, not the mainstream fashionable crowd.
I find fashion associated with musical tastes are both uniform AND confusing. Over here, the whole hardcore/emo look, with the stretched ears, vans and checked shirts seems to have amalgamated with indie slacker and anti folk types. It's confusing me!

Stereophonics are just the worst thing in the world, they're even more mainstream than, say, coldplay! I shouldn't carry on with my Kasbihate, because I don't want to be rude. I do hate them so though....with my entire soul.

  Reply With Quote
04-12-2009
  148
This is the Renaissance
 
cygnenoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 724
Ooooh, Kasbihate is nearly as good as chindie!

Yeah, I find these fashion tribes interesting. It's like a large group of acquantances become fixated with either a trendsetting person/band or in some cases a store like Top Shop/H&M. And then they all copy each other!

I'll admit that I am fascinated by Stereophonics. I saw them open for some band and all my friends were like, "oooh, they are cute, such lovely pop songs" and I was immediately suspicious of their very very expensive equipment. I find it very difficult to believe that they fill large arenas in the UK.

Razorlight is another band like that. Are they still around? I saw them with like 10 other people in the club and we were like "huh. really?" But the big difference was that Stereophonics were really humble and sweet while Razorlight seemed pretty angry that we stupid Americans just DIDN'T GET IT.

Oh wait, this thread is about gig clothes. Yes to comfortable platform shoes!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear View Post
I find fashion associated with musical tastes are both uniform AND confusing. Over here, the whole hardcore/emo look, with the stretched ears, vans and checked shirts seems to have amalgamated with indie slacker and anti folk types. It's confusing me!

Stereophonics are just the worst thing in the world, they're even more mainstream than, say, coldplay! I shouldn't carry on with my Kasbihate, because I don't want to be rude. I do hate them so though....with my entire soul.

__________________

  Reply With Quote
05-12-2009
  149
front row
 
mardybum8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: UK
Gender: femme
Posts: 341
'Kasbihate' all you like we're all entitled to our own opinions, I'm used to it...

This is a forum where you're meant to express your opinions so feel free to 'express'

Ohhh and previously mentioned 'gig boots' have since died RIP I had to wear flats to a gig the other week, my left foot was bruised so much I literally thought I had broke it! Thank god I have some new gig boots

__________________
"f*ck fashion, let's smoke menthol" Alison Mosshart
  Reply With Quote
06-12-2009
  150
This is the Renaissance
 
cygnenoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 724
mardybum8, my condolences about the gig boots!

I have a favorite pair: black, vegan, 3.5" rubber heel, buckles and about mid-calf. They are the most confortable shoes ever. I have stood for hours in them. They have gone to the Royal Albert Hall, Coachella, Paris and Tokyo. I have worn them with pretty summer dresses as well as with jeans.

Sadly, I have had them for about three years so now they only come out for special events. Had I known, I would have bought several more pairs. I will be so sad when they die. I keep buying replacements, but they are never the same. *sigh*

__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
concert, rock, wear
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.