How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2012
V.I.P.

i actually think it´s nice. i think it will work with a nice hairdo and lovely shoes. like youthful hairdo and shoes.

06-08-2012
rising star

Thanks for your feedback! And good point: I should keep the rest of the look a bit youthful, I don't want to look like her mother (or the wedding's cougar )

06-08-2012
Power to the 99%

^ I don't think you're in danger of looking like a cougar in Marc by Marc

29-01-2013
fashion insider

I am going to a wedding reception this summer (I hope - invitations aren't sent out yet), and I want to use my dress overcoat. The problem is that it is WHITE. I am myself one of those persons who frowns when other people wear white/light light pastels to other peoples weddings and see it as a sign of disrespect, but I have no idea if wearing a white overcoat over a blue dress with purple accessories would be fine. Can I get away with it, seeing as it is only a coat? I really would hate to buy another one as I love my first, and it is always a bit chilly here so I will need one... The bride and groom are 20-21 I think and the reception is not overly formal.

* inner turmoil *

Do you think it is all right to wear a white overcoat to a wedding reception?

29-01-2013
Power to the 99%

^ yes.

it's also ok to stop judging others though when a large relative wore a large white-white lace dress to my sister's wedding (she wore ecru), i couldn't help but notice she looked ridiculous. who knows why she did it--no explanation was forthcoming.

i think a coat is fine. presumably you will take it off when you get there.

30-01-2013
V.I.P.

IMO wearing a white dress to someone elses wedding is disrespectful, but a white overcoat is alright. there is nothing wrong with it.
sounds nice what you are planning to wear.

fashion insider

^Thank you for your input myown and fashionista-ta Looks like I have my entire outift ready then

Fashionista-ta - I do try not to judge people in general. I know that not everybody feel like I do about most things, but when people wear something certain things to someones wedding I find it is very disrespectful.

I have worked at many weddings, and when I see girls in stripper platform heels and mini-dresses (to the point I can tell you what color their knickers are), or white dresses, I feel so bad for them and the bride. I know what the bride is paying for her day and I think any attempt to steal the brides spot light at a wedding is so inappropriate and incredibly rude, and I dislike few things as much as rudeness. Also, you just know that that girl in the red knickers will cringe in 10 years when she sees her picture from the wedding.

17-02-2013
backstage pass

I'd love to wear this pale pink dress to a friends wedding, I'm just unsure if it's too close to white. I don't want to make an etiquette mistake but I love the dress. I'd match it with darker colour sandals and clutch.

What do you guys think, here's the dress, it's a pale pink with gold stripes, I'm hoping it would be a little darker irl:

asos.com

18-02-2013
Power to the 99%

^ it's pink, not white, so not a problem (as long as the bride isn't wearing pink). and of course they usually don't ...

19-02-2013
backstage pass

I think it's okay, too. Maybe you could wear accessories in stronger colors with it to make sure you don't look "bridal"?

19-02-2013
trendsetter

I does look too bridal for me, sorry. I would choose another colour for sure, I mean there are plenty of them. :p

I have a wedding to attend in April too, but will probably wear something I already have,
or maybe I will buy something new and wear it for my diploma award ceremony too, which will (probably) be around the same time.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
20-02-2013
backstage pass

Thanks for your opinion ladies! I think I'm going to see what it looks like irl and then decide if it's too wedding dress-ish.

It's a pain to find a dress because I love light colours! I too have already few nice dresses but I'm always finding excuses to buy new ones

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, wedding