How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-04-2009
windowshopping

I'm giving away my mother in a couple of weeks and I've stayed away from white,black and anything that looks too fabulous, it's her day after all.
I've gone for this...

(Trinny and Susannah dress)

What I was thinking was I have some pale pink heeled mary janes that I think would look nice, also a small bag in the same pink. Is pink going to be too much of a contrast, should I got with a lemon shoe or a different colour. I'll be wearing pearl jewellry so that won't contrast too much.

04-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Theyda, could you please credit your picture? (See tFS Guidelines for more info. Or you can ask any questions you have ...)

I would not do pink accessories ... what is Mom wearing? You could go with dyed to match shoes if you want to be wedding-y, but IMO those are a waste of money because you really can't wear them again (and you will be able to wear your dress again, so no point in getting shoes you can't wear, or that scream bridesmaid). Yellow leather shoes IMO are dicey because they are highly unlikely to match. You're more likely to find a taxi cab or mustard yellow--that would just be a real challenge I think.

Perhaps a nude shoe? A soft metallic? There are lots of great tan shoes around this season ... all the 'natural' leather colors.

If it were me, I'd take the dress to my favorite shoe stores & just see.

aris loves to put shoes with dresses, so maybe she will drop by

When (month/time) is the wedding and how formal is it? Obviously you're not wearing a long dress ...

04-04-2009
windowshopping

Sorry about that. The picture is from Kays.com website, from the Trinny and Susannah Collection(Is that all that's needed? I'd hate to get it wrong)

The wedding is an April one and it's a very casual spring event. She'll be wearing a powder blue dress suit, it's very 'Jackie O'. I've got one weekend left before I run out of shopping time, I'll have to take a look for some nude shoes. I love an excuse to buy new shoes!

04-04-2009
Power to the 99%

barneys, kays
Yes, that's fine ... kays.com is the part you really need. Some options ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 04-04-2009 at 06:47 PM.
05-04-2009
windowshopping

That's very helpful, thank you. I have a pair identical to the Louboutin pair on the middle row far left. I may still use the excuse to go shoe shopping though even if I don't need to.

05-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I don't see why not A pair of shoes you can wear again & again will be money well spent (unlike the dyed-to-match emerald green raw silk pumps I had to buy for my sister's wedding ).

17-04-2009
trendsetter

Wedding style conundrum: Would you prefer to be closer to overdressed or underdressed?

I have my cousin's wedding coming up, and am trying to decide between two dresses. (Another dress purchase is not an option right now.) Both are knee-length and light-colored BUT:

- One is a light gray jersey/chiffon sheath; it is wedding-appropriate, but the cotton jersey makes it fall more on the casual spectrum.

- The other is a metallic floral-brocade "mod" dress, with crystal beading at the neckline (not as gaudy as it sounds, provided my makeup/accessories are subtle). It is unabashedly fancy.

My problem is that my cousin runs with quite a snooty, intimidating crowd, and I want to feel as comfortable as possible in that environment, as I'll be able to have more fun. Normally I don't care so much about fitting in, but this is an exception. Advice, please?

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 17-04-2009 at 04:40 AM.
17-04-2009
Storm & Sommer

Depend on how the dresses make you feel.. IMO you should wear which ever dress makes you feel best.. and remember that you only have to spend a limited time with her 'snooty, intimidating crowd of friends' ..in those instances..thank God for family..no better time to get updated on uncle Teds bad knee, cousine Jill's new job etc

pinterest : hanneonpin
17-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I'm thinking dress up for the snooty crowd ...

17-04-2009
V.I.P.

I think I'd go with the fancier one as long as it doesnt take attention away from the bride, but I'm almost always a little over dressed on the weekens. Being underdressed maybe can seem like you didnt care enough to put in more effort.

This reminds me my dad wore white to my brothers wedding Your not supposed to do that right? He paired it with cream which looked horrible.

17-04-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
and remember that you only have to spend a limited time with her 'snooty, intimidating crowd of friends' ..in those instances..thank God for family..no better time to get updated on uncle Teds bad knee, cousine Jill's new job etc
Oh dear...I should have mentioned that this is mainly for a wedding reception held for the youth quotient. Sadly, no good ol' uncle Ted to bolster my spirits. It's being held at a swanky nightclub named, of all things, Shark. Just to drive the point home. I swear my life is an irony-drenched satire in the making. The club clearly makes no pretences about the clientele it attracts, sort of like that Russian lifestyle magazine called Snob.

I feel equally comfortable in both dresses, but I can't ascertain how others will be dressed, and this is really a case of wanting to fit in. I'll probably go for the fancy dress, better to wear extra armor when you're swimming with sharks. Thanks for your responses.

17-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Well, you have to admire the honesty

20-05-2009
scenester

I'm wearing the above dress in BLACK to an evening wedding at the end of next month (June). However, I'm having a hard time deciding what jewelry/shoes to pair with it.

Suggestions, fashionistas? I need your help!

source:http://buttonupback.blogspot.com/

20-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ What about the 2nd or 4th pair of shoes I posted above?

How are you planning to wear your hair?

23-05-2009
oh! darling

Honestly, it is that big of a deal to wear white or black?

I went to a [shot gun] wedding, and I wore a black turtle neck and a poofy black and white skirt with black heels. (I guess you could say I looked ready for a funeral instead of a wedding.)

That is the only wedding I've been to.

There's another wedding in June I am attending. I'm having a hard time figuring out IN GENERAL what to wear.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, wedding