How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I guess you better get cracking--June is right around the corner

I have known people to wear both black and white to weddings--in fact relatives wore both (all black and all white) to my sister's wedding. But it does cause comment, and makes you look like you don't know what you're doing (or are being deliberately mean and/or obtuse), so personally I would probably refrain unless it was so incredibly gorgeous that commentors would be struck dumb

Black and white together I think is something different & is fine.

23-05-2009
oh! darling

Ladies and gentlemen, golden words coming from fashionista-ta! Listen up!

If I combine them both without going full out in either color, I think I can get away with it. Thanks! That's a really great suggestion

trendsetter

I've seen a lot of black at weddings, but I still have my doubts about it. You don't know the connotations that the bride, groom, and especially elder relatives might have with black. It remains a funereal color for some people, and weddings are meant to be festive and joyous. As for white, a dash of it is alright, but an all-white skirt or top might seem like a swipe at the bride.

24-05-2009
Power to the 99%

My aunt, who is a very large woman at this point, wore white-white to my sister's wedding. My sister was wearing my mother's dress, which was candlelight then, and significantly ivory now. So my aunt's dress was the white one. To make things worse, I think it was even lace and maybe beaded. You could definitely have worn the dress to get married in as an older bride (which my aunt certainly would have been ).

It made her look sad and incompetent, and like that was all they had in her size so she had to buy something completely inappropriate (which cannot be true--there must be tons of plus-size for weddings).

My sister's stepmother-in-law (who has been absolutely poisonous both at and since the wedding) and SIL both wore LBDs, which I took as a statement.

25-05-2009
scenester

and so on ... well the prices are however terrific ^^

25-05-2009
fashion elite

Makinfluence, wheres the first one shoulder teal dress from?

25-05-2009
Power to the 99%

Makinfluence, can you please credit your pix?

29-05-2009
trendsetter

the most memorable piece i wore to wedding was my aunt's wedding which i was 9. a pink puffy dress with lace under garment plus a white lacy apron.
now I just have a green dress for special occassion. I have been to quite a bit of wedding parties and trust me i just wish i can go with t-shirts and jeans: i am a lil bit too sick of it sometimes.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeistiffanyblu View Post
Makinfluence, wheres the first one shoulder teal dress from?
Preen

we were in love

30-05-2009
scenester

I'm going to a 6pm summer garden wedding tonight. I had planned on wearing this dress, but now I'm having second thoughts. Is it too casual?
(Also, this model is MUCH taller than me.. the dress hits me just a couple inches above the knee.)

thoughts? suggestions?

source: needsupply.com

30-05-2009
trendsetter

Afternoon garden party indicates quite a laidback affair. My only reservation is that the top part of the dress is white. As has been noted, it's an ambiguous choice for a wedding guest.

30-05-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
Afternoon garden party indicates quite a laidback affair. My only reservation is that the top part of the dress is white. As has been noted, it's an ambiguous choice for a wedding guest.
That thought had definitely crossed my mind. I'm hoping that because the part of the dress that is white is SO casual (ribbed tank), that it wouldn't quite be a complete faux pas. That and the fact that it isn't totally white.

Well.. I'm wearing it and about out the door, so we'll see!

31-05-2009
backstage pass

I like karen millen dresses they have a wide range suitable for different occasions

02-06-2009
windowshopping

Indain Wedding
What should I wear for my boyf's bosses Indian Wedding?
Traditional Indian dress is required...
Bearing in mind Im White 5ft6 and blonde ...

I can not for the life of me work out what I should do. Dont fancy the sari thing really unless I see some good enough inspiration.
Do I go more bollywood? Or belly dancer? or maxy dress cop out?

Ignoring the fact it is VB here - head piece maybe?

02-06-2009
scenester

I would go for traditional sari, from a local Sari shop and a little dot on your forehead. I think if it was me I would go for traditional and quite discreet because I don't know the current Indian fashion or what is popular for weddings etc. That is a hard one! Then I'd also be too scared about wearing a normal dress in case I stood out like a sore thumb. Did you boyfriend suggest anything you could wear? You could always ask him to ask his boss what they would like you to do for their wedding so you have some ideas.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, wedding