How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2009
windowshopping

Indain Wedding
It's such a tough one!
Thanks for your thoughts..
Luckily I live in London so i can head done to brick lane as there are hundreds of Indian fabric shops and get them to sort me out a sari
I just wanted something that reflected 'me' a bit as well so i feel comfortable.
( I cant imagine feeling comfortable in a sari ) !
My boyfriend asked and she just said wear whatever you like but it must be vaguely traditional style! ah nightmare i have no idea what are is the fashion in India.
I was thinking a head piece (like from here but cheaper www.litterfs.com )
a plain crop top just on the navel and a low maxi skirt with lots of bangles and gold jewelry.
But saying that - does it sound a bit over dressed?

02-06-2009
scenester

Yes you need to be comfortable, can you get a maxi skirt made in an indian print/fabric? That would look lovely with the crop top. I think showing the navel is a great idea, I think red is the traditional colour for weddings? (correct me if wrong lol)

Otherwise, with jewellery a large statement necklace or a statement head piece would actually look amazing.. Will you be wearing earrings?

02-06-2009
windowshopping

If I could find something amazing like this....

With a black short sleeve crop top and a red indian fabric maxi skirt with gold/brown sandals ... oh the ideas are coming together! Im feeling better about it now!! thank you!
Just need to find what i have visualized which is ALWAYS the hardest part!

x

02-06-2009
scenester

Yeh that would be amazing, the jewellery combo either earrings and necklace or headpiece and necklace and you'll look gorgeous. .

Good luck! I always imagine what i want then spend too long looking for it ! x

03-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I have seen bits of skin showing on women wearing saris, I would just want to check that out with an authority on what's acceptable at Indian weddings before doing it I would imagine the women at the sari shops could advise you ...

10-06-2009
windowshopping

Alright--- so I have a summer wedding in July and need some opinions on a dress that I am considering wearing. I've heard the big "no-no" about wearing red to a wedding, but what about red-orange/bright coral?? It's definitely a bit of a bold color but I figure that since it's a summer wedding, it would be somewhat appropriate. Also, the wedding I'll be attending is actually for a good friend of mine and I personally don't think she would mind. Although I am contemplating asking her just in case!

Here's the dress: http://www.shopjinny.com/phi1drs9.html

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance !

10-06-2009
scenester

^ Heya, I like the dress although as soon as you said coral I got over excited! I love that colour in a dress or for a wedding. I think it's the perfect shade, do people advise against red because you may stand out more than the bride and everyone else will be wearing pastel colours or along those lines?

10-06-2009
In Bloom

^^I think that dress is perfect for a wedding!

we were in love

10-06-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I've never heard that 'rule' about red, though it is traditional to wear pastels to summer weddings. Red is rather traditional for the wedding party in the winter/at Christmas. And there was a big trend in the 80s for dusty rose and a deeper red as wedding party colors anytime. I think the dress is fine, and when you wear it again it certainly won't shout 'I originally bought this for a wedding'

PS I wore orange to my mother's wedding ... most of my relatives were being very gloomy & disapproving, so I thought it made for a nice optimistic contrast And indeed the marriage has turned out very well.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 10-06-2009 at 09:36 AM.
14-06-2009
Fashion Designer

i personally dont think the colours people wear to a wedding will affect the marriage in any way. but a lot of people, specially the elder are very superstitious about it, more of a tradition i believe. as long as it isnt white or black i think any jewel tone would be just fine.

14-06-2009
windowshopping

thanks for all the comments guys ... about the red thing-- it's not so much about it affecting the marriage or any superstition about bad luck, but more about standing out. thing is, you don't want to take any attention away from the bride on her big day and since red is quite a bold color, people often think that wearing red to a wedding will make you stand out more than the bride.

anyways, it's definitely a "go" on the dress! thanks again!!

14-06-2009
scenester

I'm attending a wedding at the end of this month and am having trouble deciding what to wear. The wedding is at 6pm, in a church, followed by a dinner at their country club. The invitation said "cocktail attire", so do you think this would be suitable? :

dress -

shopbop.com

shoes -

net-a-porter.com

... and then maybe just some simple diamond stud earrings; minimal accessories?

I guess my main concern is if this is appropriate to wear in the church, or should I wear some kind of shrug or just dress more conservatively all together? This is June in Florida and it is BLAZING hot outside.

any of your opinions would be appreciated!

14-06-2009
Fashion Designer

i dont think a shrug would be necessary unless your "goodies" are a little outthere. the dress is pretty but is rather simple and the shoes a little conservative too so id try to play up more with the accesories, add little touches of colour here and there, maybe with a jeweled necklace or a cute clutch, but thats merely my personal opinion, as far as being appropriate for a church , it totally is. have fun!

14-06-2009
Power to the 99%

hollycaroline, I would wear a shrug ...

17-06-2009
V.I.P.

Hollycaroline, is it okay with the bride for you to wear black to a wedding?

But satisfaction brought it back
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, wedding