How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2007
blue

What to wear to someone else's wedding
my friend is having her wedding reception in a week..
and i dont know what to wear.

first of all its not a wedding.
its just the "reception dinner"..

the girl is korean and the guy is chinese american..

they got married in korea last winter, but they are doing a reception dinner for people in the states who couldnt attend their wedding.

its going to be slightly chinese, slightly american, and ive never been to any weddings/receptions in the states, so i have no idea how formal/casual i should dress.

help???

should i wear a dress?
if yes, should i wear stockings? (it will be indoors, but... it just snowed in ny today..)
what kind of materials/colors should i look for?

07-03-2007
blue

im 23, btw

fashion elite

aright tell me if you hate this, but this is what popped into me head....
a very slim black cashmere crewneck, with a kind of voluminous black or grey wool knee-length skirt, black oppaque tights and black closed toe pumps. I would keep jewlery simple, maybe one very thin gold chain or some pearls.

Power to the 99%

What about wearing red?

08-03-2007
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
aright tell me if you hate this, but this is what popped into me head....
a very slim black cashmere crewneck, with a kind of voluminous black or grey wool knee-length skirt, black oppaque tights and black closed toe pumps. I would keep jewlery simple, maybe one very thin gold chain or some pearls.
i like the idea of a voluminous skirt..
tulip or slight bubble shape, maybe..
can i do dark beige/nude roundtoe pedro garcia pumps instead of black ones?

i dont have any black pumps..
i have one but its pointy toe and i feel like roundtoe might go better with the outfit.

blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
What about wearing red?
do chinese wear red to weddings?
(red sounds fine, but i was wondering if there was any cultural reasoning behind this?)

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9
do chinese wear red to weddings?
(red sounds fine, but i was wondering if there was any cultural reasoning behind this?)
That's right ... it's the color of celebration I believe. In Chinese weddings now, I think sometimes the bride changes from a traditional Chinese red gown to a Western white one or vice versa. (I believe white is the traditional color of death in China )

08-03-2007
fashion elite

I think nude pumps would work too. Love the idea of tulip or slight bubble skirt.

blue

i see. thanks fashionista and MJ

backstage pass

Going to a wedding in Tokyo. Who makes cool suits like this? (London Ink)
I've got a wedding to attend in Tokyo for my friend. Only problem is I have absolutely nothing to wear for a wedding and I'd like to make a good impression. IM a creative person, worked in a tattoo shop, im a designer... my style is kind of like Yohji from Miami Ink

So suit wise Im more of a Dan Gold type of guy.. The guys on the left below. I think its okay to be a little casual at this wedding too. Can you guys or girls give me a hand?

29-11-2007
backstage pass

Heres a better picture:

By shovelneck at 2007-11-29

29-11-2007
front row

If you want something not so department-store-ish, go to Goodwill, find a nice pair of shoulders, and then have a tailor alter it for you. It's relatively cheap, and I read somewhere that someone had used this strategy to great success in his student years. Otherwise, just shop around, I'd say; being female, I've never found the need for any style of menswear. And instead of wearing a dark grey or black, maybe a brown etc., and a t-shirt with an eye-catching design instead of the shirt&tie. Casual, non-sepulchral clothing.

06-12-2007
backstage pass

anyone else?

29-02-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

What to wear to someone else's wedding
I thought we had a thread about this but I couldn't find it. If I'm just blind, please post the link and I will merge.

With spring/summer wedding season coming up I thought we could post outfits or questions regarding what we plan on wearing.

I have a wedding in July in Bristol to attend (well I have to receive my invite but I fairly sure I'm being invited :p) Anyway I know the rules about weddings have been broken more recently but I just wanted some feedback. I'm planning on wearing this vintage Halston dress. Mine is pretty much identical except it's black and I plan on belting it with a skinny patent maroon belt.

I was planning on wearing it with these sandals. I'll be wearing a hat or headpiece of some sort but I will buy that around the time since I don't have one nor do they sell a wide variety in Canada. My main concern is whether it sounds appropriate and is it okay to wear black to a wedding in July?
pic from vintageous.com

pic from asos.com

Last edited by Meg; 29-02-2008 at 08:13 PM.
29-02-2008
downtown girl uptown life

Long and black sounds a little heavy to me for July. If it is an evening black-tie event, then maybe. Is the fabric lightweight? The sandals help lighten the effect, but are not very dressy. I posted some gold Zanottis that could work, but they are quite $$$.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, wedding