How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-09-2005
backstage pass

White Shirts & Translucence
So, as I'm sure every woman here is aware, most white shirts, be they dress shirts, t-shirts, tank tops or anything else, are somewhat translucent.

If you wear them with a white bra, you can see the bra. If you wear them with no bra, you may see dreaded nipple!

What is your solution? Here are the two I usually work with, I find they're not ideal:

- Try to find a beige bra that is harder to see underneath, but usually still possible to see
- Wearing a white tanktop underneath. You can see the outline, but this is more "conservative" than a bra outline

19-09-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

It's pretty unavoidable if you're going to be anal about it... fortunately, I rare just wear white button-down shirts without a vest/sweater over it. But when I do wear a blouse naked, I wear a white/beige bra and call it a day.

19-09-2005
front row

I'll wear a skin colored bra and if I need more coverage a nude camisole or tank top. That generally does the trick for me.

19-09-2005
front row

Since I have brown skin, the white bra under white shirt looks bad on me. I wear a brown/bronze colored bra to solve that problem. :p

19-09-2005
Of too many minds

^ Yea, it's pretty much just a nude-coloured bra for me.

If the top is really sheer, I'll layer a white tank underneath it too, for modesty.

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
19-09-2005
Power to the 99%

Going braless is *not* an option for me. I wear nude color La Mystere bras under everything, and they have just the right amount of coverage. Sure, you can see the line of the bra ... pretty unavoidable. I spend very, very little time worrying about it :p

20-09-2005
i'm almost ready..

well i must admit i am one of the braless..........
havent worn a bra in YEARS.....!!!...hard to believe for most.....
but i really am VERY flat-chested.....and i really am VERY happy with it....

go figure...?!...

so i just throw the white t-shirt on and GO...!!!!....
and if you see my nipples.....you see my nipples.....
its actually not something i am at all self-conscious about.....

my girlfriends tease me, actually.....because i wear absolutely everything without a bra.....but i wouldnt be caught DEAD baring my stomach in public.....

23-09-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith
well i must admit i am one of the braless..........
havent worn a bra in YEARS.....!!!...hard to believe for most.....
but i really am VERY flat-chested.....and i really am VERY happy with it....

go figure...?!...

so i just throw the white t-shirt on and GO...!!!!....
and if you see my nipples.....you see my nipples.....
its actually not something i am at all self-conscious about.....

my girlfriends tease me, actually.....because i wear absolutely everything without a bra.....but i wouldnt be caught DEAD baring my stomach in public.....
I agree, whats wrong with a little visable nipple? everybody has them so whats the big deal?

23-09-2005
V.I.P.

I sometimes use nipple flowers! They're like these flower shaped stickers that you just stick over your nipps...that way, you can go braless!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
23-09-2005
V.I.P.

If it's really see through, i go for the camisole insdie option. If not, deal with my nips!

23-09-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangiblelove
I agree, whats wrong with a little visable nipple? everybody has them so whats the big deal?
To be honest, I didn't "worry" about it till recently. I work with some very, very conservative people in a very cold office. I was always grabbing a sweater, and realized that I needed to solve the "problem" foundationally. It just became TMI.

Btw, was just reading the Alexander McQueen interview thread last night, and he talks about his clothes as armor, that he wanted to protect his sisters by dressing them in protective clothes. This is kind of an armor issue for me. When you've been in the workplace for awhile, you start to get a pretty clear picture of the advantages and disadvantages of being a woman in what is still a man's world. And I felt some additional armor would be to my advantage in multiple ways.

23-09-2005
urd
tfs star

I either wear a colourful bra, white vest or go braless. wearing a beige bra is just stupid. I mean who do you think you are kidding. it's like silicone brastraps. people can still see them!

on the other hand, I think a beautifull white bra with a white putton down shirt can look classy in a weird way..

23-09-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by urd
I either wear a colourful bra, white vest or go braless. wearing a beige bra is just stupid. I mean who do you think you are kidding. it's like silicone brastraps. people can still see them!

on the other hand, I think a beautifull white bra with a white putton down shirt can look classy in a weird way..
I wouldn't say stupid, urd ... simply a different, and equally valid, choice to the one you are making. I don't believe those of us who do this think that nude = invisible ... far from it. It is simply more subtle, and sometimes (or is that always), subtle is good.

23-09-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
To be honest, I didn't "worry" about it till recently. I work with some very, very conservative people in a very cold office. I was always grabbing a sweater, and realized that I needed to solve the "problem" foundationally. It just became TMI.

Btw, was just reading the Alexander McQueen interview thread last night, and he talks about his clothes as armor, that he wanted to protect his sisters by dressing them in protective clothes. This is kind of an armor issue for me. When you've been in the workplace for awhile, you start to get a pretty clear picture of the advantages and disadvantages of being a woman in what is still a man's world. And I felt some additional armor would be to my advantage in multiple ways.
excellent post...
i know exactly what you are talking about...
i often refer to pieces in my wardrobe as my armour...
i believe that giorgio armani first began using this terminology when he started designing suits for women in the late 70's...

a suit jacket can be seen as a piece of armour...
somewhat levelling out the playing field for men and women in business...

23-09-2005
flaunt the imperfection

ps-what nude bras are you people wearing that still show??...
mine don't...
that's the whole point...!!!

you must not be matching your skintone properly....
i suggest trying a different brand...
mine is eres...
but i use la mystere (as ta-ta recommended) regularly on the job...
less pricey and very very nice bras...
the client inevitably walks off with it...

Last edited by softgrey; 23-09-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, transparent, wear