How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-01-2008
front row

My mum is 48, never worked in fashion and right now dresses better than she ever has before...

But that's just because she never let herself be dictated by fashion but rather learned to choose what suited her. By now, she has enough knowledge to be well dressed at any age, I believe.

17-01-2008
windowshopping

Thanks for the article, it was very interesting.

I haven't been here long, and I skip over magazine articles about what to wear in your 30s (I'm in my 20s), so I have no idea how the rest of you feel about fashion when you hit mid 30s. The thought always crosses my mind though - will I really be wearing outrageous and girlish pieces when I'm older? It scares me sometimes, but I guess I really won't know what my opinion will be on fashion until I hit that time. I would like to think I'll screw over ageism and wear whatever the hell I like, but who knows? I'll just have fun for now and worry later.

20-01-2008
V.I.P.

I am going to use my mum as an example but shes more kind of 40's .. well anyways we will wear the same pieces .. like simular jackets or tops etc. or like the same things.. or wear same key trends etc. but its how we were them.. we can make them look totaly different .. like its the cut of things really .. the older u are the less flesh u show, the less fitted ur clothes are etc. imo .. its not so much an age thing imo its more of a body things, oviously age n babies etc. have an impact on your figure so there are things you wont get away with when your older .. i think thats a main crusual reason for dressing different.

Am i the only one who thinks the title of this thread is a bit premature ?? 30 something is not old .. 30 is still very much young imo.

Were i come from the 30 somethings dont dress much different then the teenagers, n 20 somethings.. its more at around 40 there is a noticable change really.

21-01-2008
Power to the 99%

^ In your late 30s is when you start preparing for turning 40 We could also have a 40-something thread if anyone's interested ...

30-01-2008
once more, with feeling

okay, i think i figured it out.
(my problem with transitioning into a style more suitable to older women.)

my personal style has always been kind of cutesy and whimsical.
little cat prints, clunky shoes, short skirts, and that sort of thing.
and my body hasn't really changed, so i can get away with wearing them still.

obviously, some of that has to go, but i don't know exactly what. i've always liked seeing elderly people in something idiosyncratic like converse sneakers, something typically associated with a younger style.

and then there is the old rule about no mini skirts after 35. but lots of women look amazing in mini skirts after 35. carine roitfield being a prime example. and legs are supposedly the last thing to "go." so this rule doesn't really make sense to me.

i guess i don't know what to edit about my style and what to keep. from what i have read, women in their 30s are supposed to have already experimented and then it's all a matter of editing. or just getting the same kinds of items in better quality? idk.

Last edited by quimby; 30-01-2008 at 07:30 PM.
31-01-2008
Power to the 99%

^ If you're still feeling comfortable, maybe you don't need to change a thing

As I approached 40, I found myself wanting to change a few things ...

31-01-2008
once more, with feeling

^ that's true. but i just have this fear of looking silly. like being one of those women who are the last to know they don't look good wearing the same old things anymore.

V.I.P.

I do think there are some criteria that change once you hit various ages.
I am tending to desire and purchase more quality items (pieces).
things that will last me the next 10+ years...not necessarily running after some cute, at the moment item.

01-02-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
^ that's true. but i just have this fear of looking silly. like being one of those women who are the last to know they don't look good wearing the same old things anymore.
I think you're right though ... a 60 yo (or 80 yo) woman wearing Converse is cool ... as long as she has the right attitude. It's all about the attitude baby

01-02-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimby View Post
okay, i think i figured it out.
(my problem with transitioning into a style more suitable to older women.)

my personal style has always been kind of cutesy and whimsical.
little cat prints, clunky shoes, short skirts, and that sort of thing.
and my body hasn't really changed, so i can get away with wearing them still.

obviously, some of that has to go, but i don't know exactly what. i've always liked seeing elderly people in something idiosyncratic like converse sneakers, something typically associated with a younger style.

and then there is the old rule about no mini skirts after 35. but lots of women look amazing in mini skirts after 35. carine roitfield being a prime example. and legs are supposedly the last thing to "go." so this rule doesn't really make sense to me.

i guess i don't know what to edit about my style and what to keep. from what i have read, women in their 30s are supposed to have already experimented and then it's all a matter of editing. or just getting the same kinds of items in better quality? idk.
yes, i totally relate to this!

i'm the same way, having a kind of 'youthful' frame and face ...and personality too, i guess. and i still like wearing short skirts, clunky shoes and so on! so now, i've almost used up my 30's... they went by really fast!!! almost so fast that i didn't take note, and had to kind of nudge myself to reassess what i was wearing.

i think it's being mia farrow as opposed to angelica huston... i think it'd be pretty natural for angelica to gravitate towards a more 'mature' kind of style at a younger age, because it just suits her more, so she could dress the same at 30 and 60, no problem. but if mia farrow were to keep wearing babydoll dresses at age 60, it would be odd - she would look like a very ancient 12 year old. so in a way, if you have that type of 'young' frame and face, you have to be more careful to adjust, in some way or other. i think it's more in subtle adjustments rather than just making a dramatic change. i still wear short skirts, and converse and hoodies, etc. but not all the time.

and talking about older people wearing converse etc, i recently saw anna halprin, a famous modern dancer who's now in her mid 80's i think... she was wearing a totally cute outfit, topped off with a newsboy cap, looking quite trendy and totally herself. i loved it.

02-02-2008
Power to the 99%

^ There is no better way to be a beautiful older woman than to be a dancer

"ancient 12 year old" gave me the shudders

25-06-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Always a good idea to put off worrying until later

25-06-2008
rising star

AAhhh...I had hoped there would be more insight with her interview as well.
Oh well, I suppose us ladies in our 30's just find the niche.
I, like you as-you-like-it have had to re-vamp my wardrobe for my change in taste. But like to keep trying new things regardless. I do know that I am more clear now on what works for my body then when I was younger.

09-07-2008
backstage pass

it is hard to believe that the author's a VOGUE editor. shouldn't she have gained more confidence and a somewhat profound knowledge what works for her during her career in fashion? honestly, i don't get her. i am 36 myself and am happy to say that i don't dress in a navy nightmare. she might consider taking a look at fabulous carine roitfeld. yes, she's 50+, but how utterly gorgeous that woman is!

09-07-2008
fashion insider

That's a strange article! The only thing I do not wear that i used to are hot pants. And I make sure my belly is always well covered, for the rest i wear exactly the same things.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
30something, wear