How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2011
fashion insider

I didn't change my style at all when I turned 30, age means nothing to me, as i got older i just felt i did not have the body to wear certain clothes and they have been dropped through the years. I do not wear hotpants anymore, or very low rise jeans, or short tops.
I simply adapted my style, something that is also not static, to the way my body aged, not because of a number.

28-04-2011
scenester

I am confused, I think.
I believe that I'm more knowledgeable now at thirty than I was when I was twenty and I believe that I'm able to view myself from the outside and knowing what my style looks like instead of just looking in the mirror and trying to show of my figure and sticking to all black, like I used to.
The problem is my visions are most likely as clouded now as they were back in the days.

Ten years ago I saw the chance to dress as a dame in a brothel and now I see my chance to dress ladylike in a kind of vintage style that probably reads granny to some people.

I must try not to think about this too much

Last edited by Rova; 28-04-2011 at 08:08 AM.
29-04-2011
backstage pass

I went through a bit of a style identity crisis after my baby was born, not only because my body changed so much post pregnancy but also because my life was so different after. I think for many, big lifestyle changes like marriage/kids/etc happens in your 30's, so if so, 30 can be a big turning point for many people, style wise included. It's a bit interesting, but now that I've reached certain milestones in my life (family and career), I most certainly feel like a fully realized adult, and I suddenly feel less shy about looking like one. I don't want to be wearing the same clothes that younger women are wearing. I want jackets, to tuck in my blouse into high waist, wide leg pants, to wear heels (albeit low ones). And yes, I've also been bitten by the luxury item bug! Suddenly the Chanel reissue 2.55 is the most beautiful bag I've ever seen (and will never own, lol).

29-04-2011
illustrator

^ i can relate to this tourist10. definitely i had a sort of, 'oh, i'm a grown-up, and that's a good thing' epiphany and that is reflected in many things, many choices, among them, my style and clothes.

backstage pass

^ yes, that's exactly it! Being comfortable with being an adult. I think I would feel flattered being called "madame." Everyone will personalize that in their own way, but for me, it really does mean making style choices that make me *feel* like an adult. It's not to say that women in their 30's can no longer wear skinny jeans with converse or short skirts, for example, but for me, it wouldn't quite feel right.

29-04-2011
V.I.P.

the only thing i will not wear anymore are super short skirts or shorts.... not cos im older, just simply cos my body is not the same. for me the turning point is around 25,26.

29-04-2011
backstage pass

I agree that it's not just the number (age) but the changes in life that may make us rethink our style. I have two kids, a two years old and a 3 month old, and some pieces that I bought 2-3 years ago just feel akward now. It's the girly or "rocky" stuff that makes me feel like "common, they are the kids now, not you". The daily life with my kids makes me realize I've grown up and I'm not part of the "youth" anymore. Not a bad thing but this makes me prefer a style that is more that of a lady than that of a trendy young girl.

I have also struggled with the problem of shoes - and still do. I love heels and wore them daily before but honestly, a walk with two babies in heels is just... a bit funny. When I have to run after my two years old in heels and a skirt that does feel a bit wrong. So I invested in some nice and very comfy flats, too. I still wear heels but I mostly save them for the occassions when my kids don't make me run after them.

I don't want to look like I've given up though. I think it's such a pity that sometimes people just don't seem to care anymore about what they are wearing when they have kids or when they grow older. Sure, we get lines and wrinkles, the body changes and in a way we are maybe not that pretty and fresh anymore. But I think that should make you care more, not less. The most stylish women in my book are btw 50-70 years old. That's when you really see whether someone cares and knows what he's doing or not. I admire women (and men) who still invest in their looks in that age (if it's not by overdoing plastic surgery, which can look ridiculous). You do not need to be trendy anymore at that age but it certainly looks great if you've found your style.

29-04-2011
backstage pass

RedandNavy - yes, I totally relate to what you are talking about. Especially not being a part of youth culture. When I see high school kids, for example, I absolutely cannot relate to them. Instead, I see in them my son in the future. It's a significant shift! In terms of shoes, I already wore a lot of flats, but I've been very into low heels. But more things like boots with a low heel or low wedge sandals. I agree that spindle-y heels aren't great for chasing kids. I think the challenge sometimes is looking good on the weekends. I mean, during the work week, you can wear your normal clothes. But weekend clothes need to be able to stand up to some really rough activity. Hmm ... sorry, I think I'm getting off topic and talking more about what to wear when you have young children! There's some overlap ...

29-04-2011
illustrator

my daughter is 8.
i am enjoying each stage of life, i have to say. i enjoyed my clothes when i was a child, an adolescent, a teen, a young woman and now, well, i can still relate to my 'a girl who is no longer a girl' identity. it's basically been me, whoever i am making choices that fit the various stages. so while the choices have changed, the style, my style, that guides me has really been the same, if that makes sense. it's just been a different interpretation of that style for each age.
occasionally i accidentally bring things home that don't work yet, but will in 10-15 years. they are me, but they aren't me yet.

V.I.P.

i think victoria beckham and carla bruni are dressing ideally for women in their 30's and early 40's.

i think sheath dresses with hemlines above or around the knees are GREAT for sophisticated women. thats what i plan to wear.

french connection usually has a lot of these types of dresses (some are knockoffs of beckham originals) for a reasonable cost.

flaunt the imperfection

well ladies-

tourist and hiheels...

maybe if you guys want to talk about mommy style we can have a thread just for that...

i haven't tried a search, but it's possible we already have something like that...
i know we have a maternity style thread...
so we must have something about yummy mummy or something...
we should, in any case...!

try doing a search and if you don't find anything feel free to start one if you guys want to continue the chat in that vein...
cause there are girls in their 20's etc with kids as well who would probably join the chat...
it's a very specific (sort of REDBOOK) topic but i think a lot of people would be interested...

Last edited by softgrey; 02-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
03-05-2011
backstage pass

thanks softie, I found an old mommy style thread that I've revived. Although the mention of REDBOOK does make me cringe a bit! How did I ever become that person!

05-05-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
I didn't change my style at all when I turned 30, age means nothing to me, as i got older i just felt i did not have the body to wear certain clothes and they have been dropped through the years. I do not wear hotpants anymore, or very low rise jeans, or short tops.
I simply adapted my style, something that is also not static, to the way my body aged, not because of a number.

I'm fully with you on this.
Also, not all bodies alter so significantly through the 30's, either. Lately I am of the mind to dress in ways which make me feel comfortable, or which suit my 'look', as opposed to tailoring my style to adapt to some vague number in age format. I only started to wear skinny jeans in my 30's, and they have been such a great thing for me, and seem to suit my shape and style far more than the wider leg pants that I wore throughout my twenties. I have become a bit more 'petite' as I've grown older, so perhaps this has more to do with it than age considerations. Knowing what suits me, and what to reject.

I wonder if some of these considerations differ depending upon whether we have become mothers by this point? I haven't, personally, so my daily activities and priorities differ. Then again, this particular issue could also be relevant to a 20-something, so..

As I have grown older my tastes have also altered, so this is why it is ultimately easy to adapt. I simply don't desire to wear lurid patterns, micro mini's or hotpants. Then again, I've been taken in by the cuteness of dungaree dresses recently (although I haven't purchased one), which actually do suit my look, but still....you just reach this point where you know when to say no. I hope!

Last edited by Lapin de Lune; 05-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.
10-05-2011
illustrator

other than id'ing that i have a daughter, i don't think i was saying anything about 'mommy style' and i have to admit, it's an angle to fashion that i do not relate to one single bit.

anyway, i think "30-something," just as a thought for anyone reading this who is approaching or just in the early 30s, is not a category that fully covers the whole 30+ experience, because early 30s are quite different from later 30s, as those almost become pre-40s. oh my.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
french connection usually has a lot of these types of dresses (some are knockoffs of beckham originals) for a reasonable cost.
Really?

Getting into my 30s unfortunately means giving up on many cheaper brands especially denim ones. Suddenly I want to wear FLARES like Elle MacPherson and I am confronted with a sea of skinny jeans! All under 30 while straightleg jeans or ones simply flattering not to a teenage shape are all over 150!

Last edited by Sylwiasta; 11-05-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: I have forgotten to edit the quote
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
30something, wear