How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-06-2011
backstage pass

HiHeels - Totally agree with you about finding the right, right, right. When I shop, it's mostly about the fit, fabrics and workmanship.

27-06-2011
illustrator

La Vanguardia, so we've both embraced right, right, right. It's good, right?
But seriously, shopping, I do it less and less and enjoy the results more and more.

backstage pass

I agree with you, I don't care much about shopping anymore. I much more enjoy thinking about what I really want to spend on. :p I only buy pieces that I can see myself wearing in 5-10 years, still. And I try to be more focussed. I think it's not so much the style that has changed but the attitude towards buying. And well, I certainly love a good cashmere sweater now.

08-07-2011
front row

Thirty-something? Is that considered "old" now? That's absurd.

Anyway, I'm a guy, so I don't have to worry about this as much, especially with the simple way that I dress. Black t-shirt and jeans works for all ages.

09-07-2011
front row

Vega, I think it is usually younger people who have a horror of it, at least this is what I have noticed on the internet. When you actually reach your thirties and realize that not much changes, at least concerning your interest in fashion, you wonder what all the fuss is actually about

I dare say that the 'fuss' is generated by the general attitudes to aging that are already embedded in our culture. Young girls are used to hearing reference to how they won't be able to wear mini's after a certain age, and how they ought to 'make the most of it whilst they can'. This type of thinking is already ingrained in people by the time they reach their mid teens. Many years ago, when I was studying a diploma, one of my female friends at the time struck up conversation with me about her thoughts on fashion. She was 20 years old at the time, and I recall her complaining about feeling old, past it, not as desirable as she was in her teens. She expressed a lot of concern about appearing ridiculous if she wore a pair of hotpants. I was in my mid twenties at the time (and had never worn hotpants and was simply stunned by her attitude. And I still encounter this now, on occasion, which tells me that these dubious fashion and age related 'rules' still persist. Perhaps even more?

Personally, I like where I am, I have more fun with fashion now than I did 10 years ago (it hardly interested me at all when younger), but I do notice some curious attitudes running amok!

I first came to this thread in search of bloggers in my age range, and having stumbled upon a few of them, I find that we are not very different after all to those who are younger.

backstage pass

I sometimes wonder whether there are certain prints I should no longer wear? I like polka dots for example but sometimes I think they always have something girlish and maybe should be avoided? Or I do feel attracted to some childish playful prints by designers like Markus Lupfer or Sonia by Sonia Rykiel or lately Mulberry. I will attach some examples. I wonder: are those for the younger crowd?

Somehow my gut feeling says no to such things, although my heart can feel playful at times. I wonder what other people in their thirties and fourties think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg markuslupfer.jpg (27.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sonia.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mulberry.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)

20-11-2011
backstage pass

I'm sorry, forgot to credit the pictures:

All pictures by net-a-porter.com

20-11-2011
Noblesse oblige

^I don't see why any of these styles should not be worn by someone over 30, and I know many even older women whom they would suit very well.

08-12-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarina View Post
^I don't see why any of these styles should not be worn by someone over 30, and I know many even older women whom they would suit very well.
I agree. Those are cute.
Posted via Mobile Device

08-12-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-lily View Post
I agree. Those are cute.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto

The last thing the world needs is the perpetuation of meaningless rules.
We should consider it our moral duty to show the world how it's really done.

01-01-2012
V.I.P.

I´m 33 and sometimes I worry that I´m into too cutsey stuff, I don´t want to look too juvenile though people usually think I´m in my early 20s... but then I look at Gwen Stefani, she´s older than me and wears playful stuff but still looks chic, she´s truly an inspiration

Redandnavy: I love the orange sweater and heart one, I would totally wear them

01-01-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
I sometimes wonder whether there are certain prints I should no longer wear? I like polka dots for example but sometimes I think they always have something girlish and maybe should be avoided? Or I do feel attracted to some childish playful prints by designers like Markus Lupfer or Sonia by Sonia Rykiel or lately Mulberry. I will attach some examples. I wonder: are those for the younger crowd?

Somehow my gut feeling says no to such things, although my heart can feel playful at times. I wonder what other people in their thirties and fourties think?
I would say no to the fruity one I think the best and most versatile choice is the stripes & heart, but not everyone needs horizontal stripes at the bustline, that would be my reservation

I found as I approached the end of my thirties that I was wanting to weed out cutesy. I had given it a good run though I still have a few of those things in my closet, but they don't see the light of day very often.

02-01-2012
backstage pass

Thanks everyone for all the input!

I actually didn't buy any of the designs. I just feel a bit unsure about the cutesy stuff for me now. I really like some of the cute designs though. I try to find ways to wear some cute cuts without wearing the much juvenile prints. I think I've become more insecure about what is cool for me since I've crossed the thirties. I also think that my body starts to change. I have had two kids and **edited*** it has changed a bit. *edited* So I'm trying to find out what is my biggest assett now

Last edited by BetteT; 03-01-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Removing weitght talk, per tFS Community Rules.
02-01-2012
Noblesse oblige

^One should always dress according to the body, but I think the fact that you gave birth to 2 is the reason your body have changed - not your age. Maybe you have also changed in your mind because you became a mother?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
30something, wear