How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-05-2009
backstage pass

Oh my god, vicuŮa! We have them here. I didn't realize their wool is so precious. They're just like llamas, teehee. Er or the camel according to the info above.

Too be honest, I had a softspot for it when it came out and I still do. It is most def not for me, but I remember when it came out, I was in high school and had a myspace. I had a fantastic pic of Snejana in that red dress on it. Come to think of it, I never deleted my myspace, so it's still there, hahaha.

But then I saw a lot of celebrities wearing it and they severely lacked in style. Although I believe I recall Keira Knightley and Kate Hudson being halfway decent. Jessica Simpson on the other hand, hell no. It's just trying too hard to be glamorous. Honestly if I wore it, I'd tone it down.

But I associate Frida's Gucci with nouveau riche because it sells well with celebrities, most of whom are nouveau riche. When I think of the nouveau riche, I think of people who want to flaunt their wealth by wearing the big names like Gucci. Everyone's heard the name Gucci and it's always been synonymous with expensive and glamorous. The people who think money buys style and status. I mean they used Rihanna for ads.

Last edited by Milada; 12-05-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: WOOL not fur

13-05-2009
V.I.P.

they remember the glamour from the Tom Ford era. of which nothing is left these days, thanks to Frida. all hail the woman who can turn gold into stone!

and that suit.... at 70 grand, it better pleasure and massage me all day long! the bling is unneccesary tho. but yeah, i believe it'll sell like hotcakes.

13-05-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
they remember the glamour from the Tom Ford era. of which nothing is left these days, thanks to Frida. all hail the woman who can turn gold into stone!
That's my interpretation as well.

16-05-2009
tfs star

Source: style.com

16-05-2009
windowshopping

dont bash those who are new rich people. at least, as weber says, theyre actively pursuing social mobility through their own means instead of mindlessly spending $$ inherited from their parents/ancestors. its just the style which is inherently :x

17-05-2009
V.I.P.

the Chanel cruise pieces would be so pretty if it wasn't for that awful all-over CC...

17-05-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
This thread is so funny and entertaining...and true, at times. I must say I am somewhat sympathetic to and forgiving of nouveau riche style. In some ways, or some contexts I should say, I find it appealing in its ostentation and lack of pretence. It is what it is: look at how much money I have. Maybe it's because I come from a country that historically lacks a prominent upper/aristocratic class, and where the now-wealthy, powerful class comprises of mostly 'simple folk' who lucked out. So the distinctions between new/old money, high/low class are quite arbitrary, no? They are just economic terms, unlike many other places, where they are also cultural terms.

Curiously, these distinctions are used all the time, much to my chagrin. And I am no saint, I also s****** at the purported nouveau-riche. What bothers me isn't their personal style; I even covet some of those clothes and accessories. But I despise their architectural style. The restaurants, clubs, hotels, and private homes that cater to this mindset are so ugly!
I agree, I like the honest, straightforward part of it.

And what you say about architecture is true here as well ... McMansions It's so rare to see anything of any architectural value whatsoever in the 'gated communities' that dot the landscape like smallpox

LOL at the gold-pinstriped suit and its security

17-05-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
the Chanel cruise pieces would be so pretty if it wasn't for that awful all-over CC...
I cannot get past that to see what they would look like ... those are great, reece. Karl must be laughing all the way to the bank ...

18-05-2009
tfs star

Chanel pieces are dead-on.

I seriously think 'logo-mania' will be back sooner than we hope. I really do not think it was a fad: it is creeping back, I tell you.

18-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I cannot get past that to see what they would look like ... those are great, reece. Karl must be laughing all the way to the bank ...
if you zoom out, the CCs will get more and more washed out esp the beige one would be so pretty...

22-05-2009
Geometric Discharge

I've been thinking about it, and I have to admit: I wouldn't say no to a pretty piece of Chanel with a logo or two cleverly remarked upon it.

Only Chanel though . . noone else quite does it for me . .

25-05-2009
V.I.P.

i'm with ya. been thinking about a huge CC brooch for a blazer, you know, for the occasional posh party.

25-05-2009
Geometric Discharge

^ I'd do that

26-05-2009
rising star

i actually looked and looked at the chanel cruise pics and see nothing NR on them. they're so pretty!!!! only later i realized it's the interlocking C instead of 'normal' nautical pattern

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
nouveau, riche, wear