What to wear when you're a tourist - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-08-2008
backstage pass

unless i'm in bali or phuket where i'm just lolling in my flip flops, sunnies and bikinis, i usually look like crap when i'm on holiday. i usually pack clothes that i don't mind dirtying, spoiling and bags/shoes that i don't mind getting rid if i have to (means more luggage space for my shopping anyway) i don't want to miss out on a nice hike to somewhere just because i don't want to ruin my shoes.

Last edited by loves; 02-08-2008 at 04:26 PM.
03-08-2008
in the mood for love

i just wear what i usually wear. high heels are usually out of question but why change your style only because youre in a different country?

scenester

Well i just came back from paris and i fitted in there perfectly hahaha. it was so nice to wear the high waist skirts with nice tops and sandals and high high heels.
I loved it!

05-08-2008
backstage pass

You wouldn't wear a tuxedo to a random bar, wouldn't you?
You wouldn't wear sweatpants and a t-shirt to a wedding, wouldn't you?

You must dress accordingly to every country you visit!

First, I take it this topic only caters to 1st world countries? Because anyone who travels enough knows that you must always dress according to your surroundings and dress like a native. I can guarantee you that if you go to South America or Africa and you walk around debating if you wanna wear heels with matching chanel glasses, then that is a first class ticket to getting robbed.

As for those traveling to europe:

At least make an effort to speak the native language. I live in Paris, which is losing culture due to tourism as is. Yes, nowadays most can and are willing to speak english once they hear your accent and/or struggle with the language. But nothing is more annoying to a European (I'm speaking on my behalf from living in Paris) than someone coming up to them speaking English, and looking at them dumb like "why don't you know english?"

As far as what to wear when traveling in Europe:
Try your best to dress like a native (trust me), it will make your traveling experience much more easier/enjoyable.

windowshopping

Does anyone know what I should avoid wearing in Zambia or Botswana?
I've been told not to have bra straps showing. In some places I've been told I have to wear traditional skirts.

21-03-2009
chat~

i think when you're a tourist is the best time to experiment with fashion
because you know you will never see those people again... or the next time you go back they probably won't remember you

when i went to canada i wore this black devore striped velvet buttoned up to the collar.. very austere and it was also sheer. another day on the greyhound bus to montreal i wore a blue shirt with mandarin collar.. you get stares, but i felt more like people were interested in talking with me than me looking weird.
when i came back home i wore the same blue shirt and i felt surprisingly comfortable in it though i wouldn't have thought to wear it here...

21-03-2009
#Resist

^ I have fond memories of a whole group of people turning and pointing and staring at me at a mall in Denver I guess if you're not wearing Birkinstocks you are craaaazy

22-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allius View Post
As far as what to wear when traveling in Europe:
Try your best to dress like a native (trust me), it will make your traveling experience much more easier/enjoyable.
i can sign that

if you're immediately recognised as a tourist, people (especially in cities where there are lots and lots of tourists; like Venice or Florence) are much more unfriendly. and tourists usually have to pay more in restaurants ... of course it's not working in every country. as a European in China for example you would be recognised immediately.

i've been living in Italy for quite some time and i made the experience that first of all knowing the language and being friendly to people is the key to getting to know a foreign culture. and thank god i'm not blond it makes it easier, cause nearly all the women here are dark haired. two blond-haired friends of mine had pretty bad experiences ...

regarding dressing: i can only speak for italy. it's the best to wear something fashionable and not to reveal too much (that's something most of the italians don't appreciate at least i can speak for those i know ... they're always making fun of tourist who wear almost nothing)

22-03-2009
V.I.P.

I wear the things I can´t wear in my hometown because there the people look too when you wear "FASHION" like 12cm heels

As tourist I wear all everyday the highest Heels the craziest dresses all what I can´t wear in my hometown

22-03-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureGirl7 View Post
hey acid..

oh, ok.. alright
what about my mini-skirt question? would they seem inappropriate for their taste?
it is inappropriate to try to be appropriate...

be who you are! just wear what you like to wear!
just don't say "OH MY GGGOOOOOD" and "THAT IS SOOOOO CUTE" and "LIKE .. LIKE .. LIKE .. LIKE .."
so much and you'll be fine! How you behave is much more valued than how you dress.

But it is in fact a good idea not to wear your juicy couture tracksuit or typical outdoor clothes..

22-03-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunna View Post
Does anyone know what I should avoid wearing in Zambia or Botswana?
I've been told not to have bra straps showing. In some places I've been told I have to wear traditional skirts.
you should check the lonely planet for that, when I went to India they informed us particulary good!
It could be advicable to dress entirely their way
otherwise not show too much skin (no bare shoulders, or bare legs)
and don't wear figurehugging clothes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
tourist, wear