How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-08-2007
flaunt the imperfection

all sounds very chic......
very polished and pulled together...

go for it...

11-08-2007
Bel
front row

A solid black jacket with pinstripe black pants would be a little off I think... If you want to mix pieces they should be significantly different (as in grey and black)

01-10-2007
front row

Suits (for women)
I am currently looking for a new basic suit: black or coal gray, skirt and/or pants and would like to know what brands you prefer or which ones you think are the best, the most comfortable, flattering, well made and long lasting.

I tried on some today and unfortunately the Armani ones had the best fit and feel. I say unfortunately due to my pocketbook.

Iíve have one from Express and its falling apart and I looked at Theory today, but the quality didnít look that great despite the price - though I normally like Theory's seperates and shirts.

03-10-2007
Proponent of Plaid

Ann Taylor, J. Crew, maybe Talbots. Tahari sometimes has some really sweet stuff. I buy pretty much secondhand, but I have had the best luck with Ann Taylor.

I've never had particularly good luck with Express. Their construction and fabrics seem to be terribly shoddy. I would avoid.

front row

Thanks for the suggestions! ^^

10-10-2007
kabhi alvida

Hmm...I'm starting work at an international corporate PR firm in London next week and am seriously worried about what to wear - the best thing about Fashion PR was wearing whatever I wanted. I don't want to look like another office worker but I still want to fall in line with everyone else...so far I've accumulated:

-a black pencil skirt
-fitted shirts in white, light blue, a darker blue, blue striped, pink
-a grey wool a - line skirt
-black fitted trousers
-black patent heels
-black patent mary jane flats
-black leather mary jane flats
-black ankle boots

I guess the main thing is how these items fit me and how I wear them...do you think black leather ankle boots are acceptable office wear?

To make myself happier, I'm going to carry my most fabulous bags, (Muse, le dix in several colours)and wear my favourite watch - the Cartier santos demoiselle (which my Dad has told me not to wear to work for at least a few months) and a few smart leather belts.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Last edited by impossibleprincess; 10-10-2007 at 02:37 PM.
10-10-2007
front row

I work in a "business casual" atmosphere so it can range from a suit to dark jeans and a sweater.

I need to get a few more skirts (pencil) and thin fitted sweaters for the season. I also need a few more pairs of slacks and shirts. I can also use a new pair of black pumps (peep toe hopefully), brown and "other" colored shoes and a good, cute pair of walking shoes (commute on public transit + walking)

I also want to add more colorful accessories just as scarves and belts since I usually wear mostly black.

OK, I need everything, LOL! With my recent weight loss, I hardly have anything to wear, including shoes since I my feet are smaller (from a 11 to a 10).

17-02-2008
scenester

Women's Suits
For my business class, our first assignment is a "porfolio project" - which revolves around ourselves. One part is a "I want to look like ___ doing ___", where we have to find pictures / put together pictures of outfits that we would wear at work, out to dinner, typical everyday etc.. (it's more or less looking into the future). I've come up with just about everything except for the work outfit. So because I know everyone here loves fashion, I'm asking for a bit of help. What are some designers who's women's suits are just to die for? Are you a women who wears a suit to work everyday, and have a favourite? Preferably a designer who's website I can access for pictures, if possible.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing all the ideas!

17-02-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I do not wear suits to work, thank goodness, but you might try Jil Sander or Armani. I believe aris wears suits, you may want to check out her posts.

27-04-2008
windowshopping

Business/Office Outfits
can everyone post ideas or what they wear to work? im feeling pretty uninspired lately and looking for new ideas...

06-06-2008
front row

What to wear to work/workwear inspiration
I don't know if there is a thread on this yet, but I thought it would be a good idea to discuss workwear as opposed to casualwear ( i.e. no jeans!).

I'm a college student who started an internship last year. I've found it's a lot harder to dress fashionably for work as there are more restrictions, e.g. not too many accessories, more conservative styles etc. However I don't want to fall into the trap of throwing on a random colored shirt and a pair of black trousers everyday.

rising star

I'm a lawyer. I'm fortunate that my firm isn't too stuffy and conservative, but it does have its limits which I test occasionally. If I am going to court I will wear a suit and if I have clients I will at least wear smart office, including but not limited to the following:

- crisp white shirt
- dove grey shirt
- pale blue shirt
- beige shirt
- green and white pinstriped shirt (sounds worse than it looks!)
- yellow floral shirt
- black shirt (looking for a replacement as my current one is a bit worse for wear)
- black skivvies
- various plain singlets and more interesting tops in assorted colours (for summer mainly)
- beige silk sleeveless top and black silk sleeveless top (yep, the same thing in two different colours, I am turning into my grandmother!)
- 3 different styles of black cardigan
- 2 different grey cardigans
- short-sleeved cardigans for summer in black, grey, pale blue and cream
- black thin woollen V-neck jumper and polo neck jumper
- black man-style trousers
- grey wool vest
- taupe silk skirt
- black silk skirt
- navy silk skirt
- grey A-line cotton skirt
- cream pleated A-line cotton skirt
- black shirtdress
- navy A-line silk sundress with diagonal fine stripes
- black tuxedo jacket
- black cotton twill jacket
- cream cotton twill jacket
- 2 different beige trench coats: one silk and fitted, one looser and deconstructed
- black trench coat
- mustardy-tan 1970s leather trench coat
- black patent almond-toe heels
- nude patent almond-toe heels
- pale pink patent almond-toe heels
- black leather pointy heels, black leather 4-inch almond-toe heels and black leather round-toe heels (these ones are 1940s)
- cream leather 4-inch almond-toe heels
- tan leather peeptoes
- brown leather 1950s round-toe lizard-skin heels
- red patent leather Mary Jane heels
- black ballet flats
- other assorted heels and flats
- black patterned tights and black woollen tights
- sheer pantyhose in black and nude
- opaques and cotton cable knit tights in different colours
- assorted scarves, hats etc

These are the things I find myself wearing the most, anyway. I have found that since working full-time and doing long hours I have got into a bit of a routine (or rut) and have a big pool of items and pull items from that list into some sort of workable outfit.

11-07-2008
Power to the 99%

bump for merging

18-07-2008
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

My personal uniform for work

Thankfully I work in an office that isn't too strict about what we wear.

(even less so now that our building is reducing energy consumption and has the heating on for less time, we were basically told we could wear casual dress until the weather heats up)

I generally wear black pants or a black pencil skirt, tights if it's cold, blouses and cardigans. Heels or smart flats, depending on my mood! I've ordered some pieces from our corporate wardrobe (we get a $800 worth of uniform for free), but I'm not sure when that will arrive. I didn't like much of it, but there were some nice off-white tie neck blouses that I'm interested in!

Power to the 99%

^ Free clothes!!! I have never gotten free clothes from work ... but back in the day when I worked in retail, I did get a very substantial discount ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work