How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-12-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie View Post
I work in a technical environment presently, so I have the advantage of wearing whatever I want to work. At the very least I'll wear jeans, t-shirt, and some decent shoes. But it's nice that when I want to dress up, I can, and I don't have to stick to a certain set of rules. Like at my last job, I had to wear a certain shirt, and I always had to wear pants and close-toed shoes. So boring. :-/
Yes, that is indeed one of the advantages of a technical environment, not only for ladies.

I also enjoy this freedom to wear what I want in most situations. The only time I have to stick to certain rules is when representing the company at congresses or similar events, but even then I have enough freedom to be individual .

25-12-2009
Rebaptising my badness

I have a question: wearing peep toes to work - yay or nay? (I should add that I'm a press agent at a prestigious university, and I sometimes deal with directors, who also happen to be scholars. I'm a journalist, so no suits for me. Jeans are totally OK but I mostly wear formal, wide-legged ones, and boot cut only on casual fridays. I would define the environment as mostly business casual, except for the directors and male managers, who are 80% of the time in suits.)

girl who fell to earth

^^i think peep toes sound appropriate if it's business casual and you can wear jeans

27-12-2009
front row

when I worked in a corporate environment I wore peep toes often. I think theyre fine. Although my boss was shoe obsessed so cute shoes always won you some points with her.

27-12-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aris View Post
lafindesiecle, I'd like to see some of your outfits for work.
i usually am wearing black jeans and some sort of basic shirt with heels and an excess of accessories... i often go out after work too (i worked in the music industry until about 3 months ago, and a lot of my social life still revolves around it) so a lot of stuff can go either way. it really doesn't matter what i wear -- i just try to keep it 'not too sloppy' and 'not too trashy.' rules for myself are basically always heels, no jeans that aren't black, no t-shirts, no sandals, no shorts, no 'too much skin up top' shirts, and thick tights and lower heels if my skirt is short.

excuse all the mismatched pictures... i post in WAYWT a lot and mostly if it's on a weekday, i probably wore it or some variation of it to my office.

picture was taken before i went out that night; had worn the same thing but with a more conservative tank underneath for work.

was probably wearing a basic loose black silk blouse like the one above under the coat; i have about 2309812039 of them.

Last edited by lafindesiecle; 27-12-2009 at 07:10 PM.
27-12-2009
backstage pass

^^ maybe i should make a rule to wear those blue heels less often too haha

27-12-2009
Rebaptising my badness

^I was about to say that you're rocking those shoes. You really know how to make them work with the outfits. I'd say keep on wearing them a lot.

fashion icon

exactly my thoughts love the blue shoes!
Fab outfits! Thank You for sharing!!!!
Love the black silk tops! what brand are they?

28-12-2009
backstage pass

I have a bunch, it's the one thing I buy too much of -- the plain black one there is just from Zara, and the grey one on the bottom was Sunshine + Shadow's line for Urban Outfitters. A lot of the other drapey black shirts I have are from Oak (oaknyc.com). Also have a lot of basics from APC, Acne, + that Alex Wang "T" collection.

I'm still quite young (mid-20s) and am honestly still transitioning from a "college" wardrobe to a "working" one.... If I could afford it, there'd be a lot of Helmut Lang, Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair, Alex Wang, Yigal Azrouel, Haider Ackermann... but for now it's honestly a lot of H+M and Zara

29-12-2009
backstage pass

I need help guys!

I just got a job as a Realtor's assistant and I have no idea what to wear. She says some days business casual, some days professional. I'm just struggling to find pieces that are true to my style and will work

I would really appreciate any advice, or hear from people who are in a similar line of work

31-12-2009
backstage pass

Another question here, which also partially belongs in the 'what to wear in winter' thread, but my main concern is professional -- what do you ladies do when it's, as it is today, SNOWING LIKE CRAZY and freezing cold? my last offices were super casual and i'd just break out my doc martens on days like this, but here i'm a bit less childish and always in heels and it just would look ridiculous.

but after a painful sprained elbow from a stiletto-meets-blackice incident last week (SO EMBARASSING, but at least the bandage/soft cast is black and almost cool looking, HA) i think i need to compromise somehow... note that my commute inevitably involves about half a mile of walking total to and from trains etc. do you just wear snow boots and pack your heels in a bag and change once you're at the office, or just suck it up and take the risk of ruining your shoes and various body parts?

31-12-2009
girl who fell to earth

^^i think go for the snow boots and pack the heels if you can..
annoying to lug those things around and not the most attractive winter look...
but it's a sacrifice that a lot of us in the northeast just have to make...

and no one will look at you strangely :p
they would probably look at you more strangely if you're trekking through the snow in heels

31-12-2009
Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav_ View Post
I need help guys!

I just got a job as a Realtor's assistant and I have no idea what to wear. She says some days business casual, some days professional. I'm just struggling to find pieces that are true to my style and will work

I would really appreciate any advice, or hear from people who are in a similar line of work
The dress code where I work is business casual, but because there are boarding meetings every Monday, I try to dress formal on this particular day (even though I don't join in the meetings, there are a lot of directors passing around and I don't want to look too casual). I usually wear formal jeans, skirts in neutral colours (but there is the occasional floral skirt, for casual Fridays), tops also in neutral colours or floral patterns, flats with 1 or 2 inch heels and totes. I also wear lots of cardigans. As for the accessories, lots of scarves and simple but colourful jewellery.

Rebaptising my badness

^I meant 'board meetings', not 'boarding meetings'.

Rebaptising my badness

I have a question about makeup: do you think it is appropriate to wear red lipstick to work?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work