How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-01-2013
front row

^Yes, you're right. But I do have to say it's a bit constricting, too. I'm not used to pencil skirts! It was just a stupid sale buy because I desperately needed something in that colour for work.

I think they key is to buy pieces that I still love and would wear regardless of my job. I actually found THE perfect skirt - it was a really structured skater skirt in the perfect colour, amazing quality as well. But my mom convinced me not to buy it because it was 80€ in Hallhuber and that's supposedly too much for a skirt. I've regretted it ever since.

The skirt was similar to what Candice is wearing here:

pinterest.com

And I would wear it just like that, such a perfect summer outfit.

I think I really should have fun with the shoes and the accessories like you suggested! Something neon or pale pink mixed with gold would be gorgeous.

Thank you so much for the advice

29-01-2013
Power to the 99%

^ you're welcome. btw, that is not too much for a skirt anyway, it's good that you knew what to do--just listen to that next time. and i agree with your theory about what to buy ...

31-01-2013
front row

^Thank you so much fashionista-ta. I know it's not too much, but I am on a student budget... Somehow I find it easier to spend more money on an item online, and I wear what I buy there a LOT more.
Btw, just have to tell you thank you again to helping me is so many threads and for all your amazing posts (especially in the French wardrobe thread). You're an inspiration to me

31-01-2013
Power to the 99%

^ aww, you're welcome

14-04-2013
Eat me, drink me

Dress code where I work is 'business casual' but in practice if varies from department to department. My department is very casual, people don't really follow the dress code and superiors have addressed this recently. Basically, if you're not wearing blue jeans or leggings, or anything too short, you are fine. People get by by wearing colored jeans, more structured tops, etc., even though we are supposed to abide to the dress code.
I've tried to build a capsule work wardrobe since I started at this place, but it is difficult; people dress so diverse and the few who take the dress code seriously look very overdressed. I'm still undecided about what I'm going to wear from now on - thinking of how to be more 'neat' but not over the top : /

V.I.P.

great thread! so many ideas. i normally go very casual to work as i like to be comfy.

backstage pass

I'm a teacher, and schools don't really have a dresscode.
Although clothes that can handle some dirt/paint/randomness that comes with children is advisable .

But some colleagues (especially the older ones) seem to think that is a reason to not bother at all about the way they dress..

16-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ in my book, there is no good reason not to bother at all

16-04-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ in my book, there is no good reason not to bother at all
I know, tell that to the man with the shrunken sweatshirt and beer belly...

30-04-2013
Eat me, drink me

^^^ when I worked at a school we definitely had a dress code and, it was super hard for me to follow since I taught art and had to work 'business' clothes to work with messy materials. I would have loved to be able to dress down.

fashion insider

^My art teachers always wore large scarfs and lots of color. Or all black. I thought that was the dress code

13-11-2014
windowshopping

Do any of you wear dresses to work that you might consider "cocktail"? I love late 40s-early 50s style dresses and have several. They're all midi-length but solid, neutral colors and in materials like wool. But they are fitted through the torso. The kind of dresses you'd see on Joan in Mad Men.

I love my dresses but when I wear them to work someone always comments like, "going to a party after work tonight?" Well, I don't go to a lot of parties and I want to wear my dresses, damn it!

13-11-2014
Power to the 99%

Maybe you could wear a sweater over? Or, just ignore the comments

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work