How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-06-2004
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by nuiko+Jun 17th, 2004 - 10:50 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nuiko @ Jun 17th, 2004 - 10:50 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pradaromance12@Jun 17th, 2004 - 11:40 pm

i have that suit! its my perfect work suit...i also have those pumps god that was a perfect Dolce & Gabbana collection
same here!!
that collection totally WAS perfect!! [/b][/quote]
I also loved that Dolce collection (S/S 01?)
many great pieces for work.
especially the skirts, nice little slim skirts that fit wonderfully, I went crazy after them, can never resist skirts like those
the pumps were also very very nice.

18-06-2004
Fierce Flava

Quote:
Originally posted by Veronica+Jun 18th, 2004 - 4:20 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Veronica @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 4:20 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Tempest@Jun 18th, 2004 - 7:03 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Alejandro
Quote:
@Jun 16th, 2004 - 3:23 pm
What I dont wear to work

Same here...everyone goes in business suits cept me, I wear what I please.
Depends on the job. Some people have to wear suits. Some enjoy wearing them. [/b][/quote]
Heheh..yeah but Tempest is a bad boy..hes supposed to be in a suit everyone does at his work cept him..

I went with him once and he went in ripped jeans, a tank and a blazer with his hair styled into a mohawk ....I'm surprised his father hasn't killed him yet.

18-06-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by MissPurple+Jun 18th, 2004 - 8:54 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MissPurple @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 8:54 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by nuiko@Jun 17th, 2004 - 10:50 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Pradaromance12
Quote:
@Jun 17th, 2004 - 11:40 pm

i have that suit! its my perfect work suit...i also have those pumps * god that was a perfect Dolce & Gabbana collection *

same here!!
that collection totally WAS perfect!!
especially the skirts, nice little slim skirts that fit wonderfully, I went crazy after them, can never resist skirts like those
the pumps were also very very nice. [/b][/quote]
and my long "motorcycle" jacket, yellow satin short jacket, beaded pants with roses, black pantsuit with crystal bow pin closure, flowered water color print cricle skirt, and of course a beaded madonna shirt, its is my favorite ever

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by MissPurple@Jun 18th, 2004 - 9:54 am
the pumps were also very very nice.
YES
i went crazy with that collection too
i looove those slim pencil skirts!!!

21-06-2004
scenester

Hi,
One thing I think...wear high heels! They may hurt your feet but they boost your confidence so much!
Charlotte

21-06-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlotte560@Jun 21st, 2004 - 2:45 am
Hi,
One thing I think...wear high heels! They may hurt your feet but they boost your confidence so much!
Charlotte
i agree...these are my perfect work pumps (louboutins)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Louboutin_black_patent_leather_pumps.jpg (16.6 KB, 21 views)

scenester

Hi,
Those shoes look superb! I think you have an excellent sense of style!
Charlotte

21-06-2004
fashion icon

Thank you

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I work in a corporate setting, for the Western Australian State Government - so I tend to wear my take on professional clothes everyday. I usually wear wide legged dress pants with tight button down shirts, or knee length skirts and tight long sleeved tops. I also mix between heels and flats, depending on how far I'll have to walk during the day, lol. I love dressing up 'plain' outfits with colourful scarves/bags and usually get compliments on my choice of earrings

offline.

Okay.. So, this semester I'll be going on a series of interviews with companies that will possibly hire me after graduation.

Not only do I have to dress professional when I go to meet with my counselor, I have to look professional and FASHIONABLE at interviews as well.

Things that bother me....

What is best for a short curvy figure when it comes to suits.. Would I look for a straight leg pant... cuffed pant... I also have problems finding jackets that are the right length. A lot of the time I try on a jacket and it hits my thighs .. I also wanted to get a pencil skirt to match the jacket ... Where should the skirt hem hit... above knees? I've been looking at a lot of pencil skirts that go with suit jackets and a lot of them will be almost full-length skirts on me! Thank god my mom is an awesome seamstress.

For my first businessy suit should I play it safe and just get a black? Or go for navy? gray?

I'm not so much asking for suggestions for brands.

I'm more asking for styling and shapes.

Help!

I'm so not liking this business suit thing.. the whole idea of being "grown up" scares me.
Thanks in advance.

16-09-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Well, I am going to reference my old boss's wardrobe for you because she had a similar figure to yours and always dressed absolutely stylishly and flatteringly.

As regards the trousers--no cuffs. Cuffs visually shorten the legs. Cuffed jeans can look cute, though juvenile, for casual wear, but cuffed dress slacks frequently make the wearer look stumpy and dumpy. Slim-ish fitting straight-leg trousers will probably be your best bet, though if you have the right type of top or jacket, wider legged trousers can be very cute and comfortable. If you go for wide legged trousers, make sure they break over the top of your shoe, even if it means you have to grade the back hem so you don't step on it. This also visually lengthens the legs.

With the jackets, be sure to shop in the petite deepartment. I know this is kind of a "no duh" piece of advice, but some stores are laid out weirdly and you don't know for sure which area is which. A jacket from the petite department will be proportioned to a shorter figure and won't hit your thigh as you had mentioned and the waist curve will hit where your waist is. I'd suggest waist-length or cropped jackets, which can look very cute on a curvy figure, with a slim-fitting top underneath.

For skirt length, the ankle-length can look way cute. For shorter skirts, usually 1-2" above the knee is a good length. Depending on the cut of the skirt, however, tea-length can be pretty cute, too.

For the businessy suit, black is good, but if you do want to go for a color, navy or grey would be fine, just see which looks best on you. I look sickening in navy, so I would opt for the grey myself, but if you look good in cool colors, then the navy may be your best choice ever!

Definitely check out the petite departments of your favorite shops, and there are some shops geared toward shorter women. Most of the stuff in Petite Sophisticate is awfully middle-aged, but you will find some good basics there which you can dress up or down.

Don't worry about looking like a grown-up. It isn't the end of the world, and there are actually some really sharp suits out there once you get a chance to look and decide what your style is. Also, once you settle into a job, you may find the dress code is fairly flexible. Best of luck to you!

offline.

Thanks AYLI!

10-10-2004
rising star

Smart / Business Casual Work Looks

I've fallen in love with this look from Nordstrom.com and thought it would be ideal for a smart casual look to wear to work.

10-10-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

it's nice...is this considered casual where you work?...what's considered 'normal'?...
i'm curious...

10-10-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 10 2004, 05:26 PM
it's nice...is this considered casual where you work?...what's considered 'normal'?...
i'm curious...
[snapback]392603[/snapback]
This ensemble would not be considered casual at my work but 'smart' casual and definetely not 'formal'. If you changed the top for a blouse and wore a matching jacket, that would be 'formal'. If I were asked to go and meet important clients, I would probably have to go wearing something more formal.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work