How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2005
Proponent of Plaid

It really depends on your office culture. Does the employee handbook have a dress-code section? Are jeans mentioned in the dress code? Do any other employees wear jeans? If they don't, you probably shouldn't, no matter how good the outfit is. There may be an unwritten rule about not wearing jeans.

I wear them at my work, but so do many other people in my office, and the dress-code does not forbid it. I just make sure to wear ones that are in good condition, and not too low cut so that nobody sees my underpants when I move around. In a previous job, however, denim was verboten. You could not even have denim trim on your shirt!

I hate to be a downer, but I have been on the wrong end of dress code violations when I was younger, and your officemates can and will judge you if you do not dress accordingly to what is considered proper in your office's culture. I can tell you, also, that now that I'm an assistant manager, I personally couldn't give a rip about what my crew wears, but I do hate having to deal with it when people from other parts of the department come and whine to me because one of my crew is wearing jeans that are too low, or another person is walking around barefoot or that one girl is wearing too much stinky perfume again.

I'd be careful about deviating from the norm too much at work. I found that it tested my creativity to dress comfortably in clothes that I liked, without offending my co-workers or freaking out the customers. There are places to show off in and places to blend in, and part of gaining professional experience is learning when to flaunt and when to toe the line.

Last edited by As You Like It; 03-04-2005 at 12:30 AM.

16-08-2005
scenester

what to wear to work
describe or post your fave outfits that are perfect for a working day in the fashion industry.Tell us what job you do then post your outfit.What key pieces or accessories do you use to make it stand out?

17-08-2005
scenester

hey why won't anyone reply?

18-08-2005
blue

does it have to be "in the fashion industry" ?

scenester

no it could be in any job.

18-08-2005
V.I.P.

Okay, I didn't answer because I don't work in the fashion industry, but I post many of my work outfits in "What are you wearing today" as do many others. You should check that thread in Personal Style for inspiration

27-04-2006
tfs star

I didn't see a thread for all us career girls who want to look hot at the office. Here are some things I've found that would be considered "Sexy and Chic" but appropriate~

Last edited by Baizilla; 02-05-2006 at 07:46 AM.
27-04-2006
tfs star

www.bebe.com
www.ardenb.com

tfs star

Why don't you guys post?

V.I.P.

i don't really think the office is the place to try to look sexy.

I like the pencil skirts, and pointy pumps, and I guess that could be considered sexy, but I think that in the office, one should try to look professional, and stylish, but not sexy unless they would rather have thier boss than thier boss's job...

V.I.P.

This was the kind of thing I wore when i worked in an office

JCrew and Talbots
Very conservative, but not frumpy, I think?

tfs star

Stiletto- Have you forgotten the possibility of office romance? OR a lunch date with a someone special? I think there are plenty of reasons to look fab when going to work

V.I.P.

I'm not saying you should look frumpy, or unnatractive. I'm just saying the most important thing is to look professional. I think that my look isn't bad- not "old lady" and take off the jacket, undo an extra button, and you'd look pretty hot for a lunch date

V.I.P.

I'm not saying you shouldn't look fabulous, and attracive. I'm just saying that the most important thing is to look professional.

tfs star

Of course, professional and sexy are what I'm aiming for <3

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work