How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-05-2006
ejc
windowshopping

Hi Hipkitten! I started working in a law office in January, so I had to figure out what the hell business casual is--it's a lot easier to throw on a suit! But I've become more accustomed to figuring out what looks good on me while still retaining my individuality. For me, I go the banana republic/j-crew route--kind of preppy and plain, like a neutral color skirt or pair of pants, and a button down shirt, or cardigan. Although now that it's getting warmer, I've been wearing more printed flowly skirts with plain tops. But to make myself still feel like myself and not looking like I stepped out of a j-crew catalog, I always wear kick-*** shoes! Because I wear fairly conservative clothes, I can get away with wearing 3.5-4" heals without looking "tarty." I also wear cool accessories and jewelry to give my look some personality.

07-05-2006
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejc
Hi Hipkitten! I started working in a law office in January, so I had to figure out what the hell business casual is--it's a lot easier to throw on a suit! But I've become more accustomed to figuring out what looks good on me while still retaining my individuality. For me, I go the banana republic/j-crew route--kind of preppy and plain, like a neutral color skirt or pair of pants, and a button down shirt, or cardigan. Although now that it's getting warmer, I've been wearing more printed flowly skirts with plain tops. But to make myself still feel like myself and not looking like I stepped out of a j-crew catalog, I always wear kick-*** shoes! Because I wear fairly conservative clothes, I can get away with wearing 3.5-4" heals without looking "tarty." I also wear cool accessories and jewelry to give my look some personality.
Thanks for the tips! I'm going shopping this week and will definitely keep them in mind. Like you, I want to look professional but not lose myself in business casual hell

Welcome to tFS

~Madeleine Albright
03-07-2006
kabhi alvida

I've started a thread on this somewhere else but perhaps this is a more appropriate thread. I have an informal meeting with prospective employer from a young, hip PR firm in a few days. Please give me tips! It's 32 degrees in London aswell, which is making the decision harder!

backstage pass

a one-piece dress, maybe. i wouldn't play it eccentric when it comes to interview.:p

03-07-2006
backstage pass

not the best but i thought i might share.

imaxtree

or a similar Matthew Williamson white dress worn by Sienna Miller.

03-07-2006
kabhi alvida

a one piece dress....off to find one!

front row

Well I'm a Visual Merchandiser at Forever 21 and I'm allowed to wear anything pretty much. I tend to wear clothing from there since it fits my budget (I'm a college girl) and it's stylish. I also sew alot of my own clothes. I tend to wear dresses whenever possible and flats (Irregualr Choice ones in particular). I wear dresses as much as possible. For example:
this dress (forever21.com)

(own photo)

plus a white cardigan b/c it's so cold inside...

that's a typical outfit for work.

Free Spirit | Wild Heart

im a hostess at a sushi restaurant so i have to look presentable. i like to keep it clean and simple..not too much fru fru..

we have to wear white tops and black bottoms/shoes
all of my tops are from abercrombie because the quality is really really good. i have to wash all of my work clothes every week but a&f tops stay nice, its long and shrinks back after i wash!
vee neck/roundneck/racerback tanks(worn underneath)
vee neck short sleeve ribbed henley
sheer above the elbow top henley
polos!

black slack pants with subtle white pin stripes

& black slim/not stilletto boots

i dont wear flat shoes to work..too me its not dressy enuff..and my boots just tie the whole outfit together

29-07-2006
fashion icon

I'm doing work experience at a law firm soon and I'd like to know what sort of dress code I should take up, all i've been told is "strictly no denim"!...so i'm not sure if that includes tighter, well fitted pants or just means no blue denim! I'm thinking of perhaps wearing dresses and/or white shirts with black or grey skirts or pants. But i'm not sure how much colour etc. i'll be allowed to include!

Does anybody have any tips or ideas? Thanks in advance

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceee
I'm doing work experience at a law firm soon and I'd like to know what sort of dress code I should take up, all i've been told is "strictly no denim"!...so i'm not sure if that includes tighter, well fitted pants or just means no blue denim! I'm thinking of perhaps wearing dresses and/or white shirts with black or grey skirts or pants. But i'm not sure how much colour etc. i'll be allowed to include!

Does anybody have any tips or ideas? Thanks in advance
They dont mean denim as in blue jeans, they mean denim the fabric. Period.

You can use endless amounts of color, just use it tastefully (read: no flourochic tops). Skirts and dresses are always lovely as are suits, you can always switch that up and pair a suit jacket with a dress, or a skirt with a interestingly mismatched suit jacket.

31-07-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuiko
same here!!
that collection totally WAS perfect!!
Dolce Gabbana still produce similar work suits, you need to ask for a business suit as it's not usually in display. I have many suits like this from different years:
http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store...20053cat223200

Gucci and YSL also have similar suits.
Paul Smith also have nice suits.
Valentino - although they are more towards "ladies who do lunch"

31-07-2006
scenester

I work with high level executives. I usually work at home. I can wear whatever I want when I'm at home. However, when I have a meeting, I dress professional; which usually means a pant suit. I won't wear skirts to work. I wore a skirt on the first day of my old job. I had guys in the parking lot staring and whistling at me. I've NEVER worn a skirt to any job since. When I'm at work, I don't dress to impress... I dress to demand resepect. I'm sure people in other positions or industries, especially fashion, would disagree with me. But I guess it depends on where you work.

01-08-2006
front row

I'm a secretary at a law firm. Everybody at my firm mostly dresses very casual, so jeans and a nice blouse is what i usually wear. I would like to dress up though but I don't want to upstage my boss.

01-08-2006
windowshopping

The only thing I miss about working in fashion is that I was allowed to wear jeans, as long as they weren't ripped.

Now that I work in a corporate atmosphere, its dress pants for me. I stopped wearing skirts because skirts = high heels and I can't wear heels all day long. So now I buy Banana Republic martin pants on sale (they fit great!) in black, grey, brown and then when its warm out, I'll pair those with a cotton cardigan and shell from J. Crew. In the winter, I might wear a full pant suit or just the dress pants and a cashmere sweater. I have to be comfortable, I can't wear stuff that I'm going to pull at all day.

front row

I work in the Legal department of a commercial restaurant corporation. Its sounds kinda serious but its not. Everyone just dresses nice business casual. I wear A-line skirts often in black and white...even prints with solid blouses long or short sleeve. I never wear anything see thru even if I layer something under it and I never wear anything sleeveless. I don't think that is very tasteful to wear inside a work office that is highly corporate

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work