How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-04-2004
windowshopping

What to wear to work
I usually dress down for work, because I work with kids and I am out for a promotion, so I am constantly talking to people who I want to make a good impression on.

So I need lots of clothes that are casual yet important looking.

Also what should I wear to an interview? I was thinking a line skirt sort of black and white tweed and a white button down tee and maybe a cardigan with either boots or pumps. I guess you would need pics to really know what i'm talking about

So what do you wear to work?

08-04-2004
windowshopping

I work in a corporate-ish atmosphere so I try to wear either suits or assemble outfits that are suity looking, like trousers, a shell and a cardigan, things along the line like that. The outfit you described sounds nice for an interview. Personally I try not to look so cookie cutter (like all navy head to toe) unless you are going into a really conservative firm.

But I like the outfit you described.

front row

I'm pretty lucky in that I can wear whatever I want, as long as my bathing-suit areas are covered. What you described sounds like something that I would wear to work on a normal day. I wear a lot of blouses with jeans and little heels, or boots and skirts with more casual (but still fitted,) tops

If you want to land somewhere between conservative and casual, maybe you could try clothes with a more traditional and structured feel to them, but in lighter weight or unusual fabrics. Or you could try the opposite, like a nice linen or wool pant with a more casual cut.

08-04-2004
Melody Nelson

I work as a buyer for Dolce & Gabbana so really I can wear anything I like

V.I.P.

old jeans and an old t shirt

slightly dizzy

I work with computers/software, and you know what these people look like...

I'm always casual, I practically always wear jeans/trousers with some kind of wool/cashmere sweaters. For summer, cotton instead of wool, as well as linen shirts.

rising star

I'm interning at a law firm in london this summer, and I'm really wondering what sort of shoes I should wear. I'm 16- do I have to wear pumps?! I'm so so worried about this whole dress code thing... PLEASE HELP ME

09-04-2004
V.I.P.

A law firm. I doub't pumps would be suitable. Probably some low loafers or anything black and leather. Your best bet would be to Dress conservatively. Wear a blouse, and a long skirt (or trousers if you prefer )
They should send you the dress code really. If you are doing this for work experience, there mght be a pack you recieve with this sort of information inside.
Best of luck

09-04-2004
front row

I try to wear something that says New York. I think gray and black is always a safe bet for a woman in an office. It can be a sexy cut or a lush fabric, but if you keep the colors tame, then it's always appropriate for an office. Here is one of my picks (Madge, of course).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg casual.jpg (7.4 KB, 25 views)

09-04-2004
V.I.P.

Magazines like In Style seem to have a lot of articles on this type of thing. I'd pick one up and check out their suggestions. By the way, in your case I would advise being over-dressed than under.

09-04-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Apr 9th, 2004 - 11:12 am
A law firm. I doub't pumps would be suitable. Probably some low loafers or anything black and leather. Your best bet would be to Dress conservatively. Wear a blouse, and a long skirt (or trousers if you prefer )
They should send you the dress code really. If you are doing this for work experience, there mght be a pack you recieve with this sort of information inside.
Best of luck
Actually, I'm an attorney with a large law firm and pumps are definately acceptable. So are slingbacks, loafers, boots (with pants), and mules. The rule of thumb is not to wear sandals and don't wear ridiculously high heels. I would say 3 inches and under is a safe bet.
Also, I doubt they will send you anythign about the dress code, but they should tell you whether the dress is business or business casual. This shouldn't have any impact on what shoes you wear though.

31-05-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by chanel_girl@Apr 8th, 2004 - 4:03 pm
I work as a buyer for Dolce & Gabbana so really I can wear anything I like
Lucky you.. I wanna work in Ralph Lauren as a buyer too

31-05-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss New York@Apr 9th, 2004 - 3:10 pm
I try to wear something that says New York. I think gray and black is always a safe bet for a woman in an office. It can be a sexy cut or a lush fabric, but if you keep the colors tame, then it's always appropriate for an office. Here is one of my picks (Madge, of course).
what's the typical New York working dress like?

I'm fan of Friends & Sex and the city

16-06-2004
V.I.P.

I'll probably never end up wearing anything like this for work, but I thought that the suits here were just so completely pretty and well pulled together.

http://www.demarchelier.net/fashion/hb0895..._chicstrip.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicspread2.jpg (63.7 KB, 91 views)

16-06-2004
& b

What I dont wear to work

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
wear, work