How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-06-2013
V.I.P.

^

I'm not sure what's the worst I've worn, probably what I wear now , most things I wore in the past make me go 'aw' instead of 'ew', even if they might deserve the latter, at the time I wore it because I was really into that and ideas and people related to that too... I also have this thing with clothes (and life in general) that makes me get way too attached so I'll wear them obsessively every single day for months (I do wash them!) and then drop them as soon as a new object of desire comes along and they really become like museum pieces in my mind... nice memories because they're a phase, can't really classify them as best or worst.

Objectively though, my most experimental time was when I was 11-14 (my favorite phase when it comes to stuff I wore- I probably didn't wear a pan on my head because it was needed in the kitchen ), and opposite of most people, my really awkward phase came right after, it kind of dawned on me I had experimented a little too much and suddenly felt really insecure and started wearing hoodies and the ugliest jeans (from a skate shop a bf around those years was into- really ugly store too in hindsight)... it lasted for a little over a year but still, pretty dark and depressive even if there was nothing dark about it (I'd dress like I drove trucks basically )... I have issues with hoodies and thick denim as a result.

25-06-2013
V.I.P.

Looking back, I'm inclined to criticize everything I've worn on the basis of trying too hard. In the form of a condensed timeline, I dressed like Little Miss Sunshine when I was a kid, followed by an ugly Hot Topic phase when the angst of adolescence hit. During my later teenage years, I fell into a slump and just wore bland clothes for a few years. It was shortly afterward that I rekindled my interest in uhm, self-expression (and also joined this site). My style was decent for awhile, until I started getting too eccentric, spurning my cashier's uniform for printed silk dresses and strange, futuristic updos at work. I can't think of one worst outfit, but I can remember a worst hairstyle... Now I feel I finally have good taste, and no money.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
suddenly felt really insecure and started wearing hoodies and the ugliest jeans (from a skate shop a bf around those years was into- really ugly store too in hindsight)... it lasted for a little over a year but still, pretty dark and depressive even if there was nothing dark about it (I'd dress like I drove trucks basically )... I have issues with hoodies and thick denim as a result.
Same here, except unfortunately he wasn't my BF, just a guy I had a major crush on and we've been on a few dates. I wanted him to really like me, so I started to dress similar as he did (he was a skater), I just don't know what was I thinking.
I even remember having troubles finding red hoodie that would match his DC one and when I got it I started to wear it with my washed baggy jeans.
Maybe that's the reason why I don't like or wear jeans now, almost 10 years later.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 25-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.
25-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer~ View Post
Looking back, I'm inclined to criticize everything I've worn on the basis of trying too hard. In the form of a condensed timeline, I dressed like Little Miss Sunshine when I was a kid, followed by an ugly Hot Topic phase when the angst of adolescence hit. During my later teenage years, I fell into a slump and just wore bland clothes for a few years. It was shortly afterward that I rekindled my interest in uhm, self-expression (and also joined this site). My style was decent for awhile, until I started getting too eccentric, spurning my cashier's uniform for printed silk dresses and strange, futuristic updos at work. I can't think of one worst outfit, but I can remember a worst hairstyle... Now I feel I finally have good taste, and no money.

Back when we were into that Bernhard Willhelm aesthetic (was that the eccentric phase?), I thought Jennifer = this collection. Cause I'd go for like the safest BW looks in the WWYWT thread and you'd be like. I don't know what good taste is anymore but man, I LOVED that time! ... and in reality it was all second-hand nastiness (that was actually fun for me).

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
I even remember having troubles finding red hoodie that would match his DC one and when I got it I started to wear it with my washed baggy jeans.
That sounds so familiar! I remember begging my mom to buy me one of the Thrasher ones with the logo across the chest (she never did) just because this guy and all of his friends had them in different colors.

Come to think of it, boy influence really sucks, especially that awkward earlier approach (where matching and emulating gets blurry), but it's always present..

Last edited by MulletProof; 25-06-2013 at 08:17 PM.
25-06-2013
V.I.P.

Moccassins.....and an aqua colored beret.....this was all within the past two years......I actually wish I could delete all of that.

25-06-2013
tfs star

Boy influence sucks. It never really affected my fashion (other than heel height) but one boyfriend hated me wearing makeup so I'd go around au-naturel, which I hated, as a daily cat-eyes and red-lips person.

The worst outfit (though no fault of my own) was probably when I was seven and my sister was four, and we were dressed in matching Adidas knockoff velour short-panted track suits that had "ADIDOS" emblazoned accross our chests. Yeah. I don't know why that happened, my parents had amazing taste otherwise...it was probably a gift from someone, or an emergency outfit bought while on vacation in the middle of the desert.

I've had a few questionable pre-teen phases: heavy metal rocker phase and the deconstructed clown phase to name two. But none was worse than when I wanted so desperately to be "normal" in my early twenties, and wore navy and gray and tailored stuff all the time, until I broke down crying getting dressed one day because no matter what I did I couldn't look "normal". My mom said "Stop trying to fit in and look like a banker; you're born among artists, you are an artist, so who cares if you look eccentric? It's who you are " That was the best advice ever. <3

25-06-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
my parents had amazing taste otherwise...it was probably a gift from someone, or an emergency outfit bought while on vacation in the middle of the desert.
It's so interesting that you mention that because it's so true, whenever I was dressed by someone other than my mom, chaos would occur. I only saw it like this when I got older though, I was scared of my mother's clothes as a kid (definitely not kid trying on dresses here)... she was always into bands and black (black boots, black leather jackets, etc) and I remember one time she thought I should experiment more with my school uniform (!!) and put me in combat boots, a Nirvana necklace and made me wear them to school... I tried to fake a cold and just go home (I was like 7 ). My grandma was so worried that for a family party, she went shopping and dressed me in a cream-colored suit (the 90s ones that even had shoulder pads ) with pearls and shiny crochet and a gigantic bow. For many years that was one of my "fashion" highlights as a kid and my mom's choices were the worst... and now it's exactly the opposite.

(sorry for powerposting in this thread by the way!)

V.I.P.

The worst thing I've ever worn..? Unfortunately, I don't think I could fit my entire high school wardrobe in this thread (and will spare you the ocular trauma). So horrible! I thought I was 8x the size I actually was so I wore horrible, horrible oversized clothing that I basically hid in. To be fair, I couldn't do anything else - they were practically pillow cases with a head hole.

backstage pass

I had a phase (age 13-15) when I refused to wear jeans and only wore short-sleeved shirts.. .
It wasn't pretty.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
thing, worn, worst