How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-10-2008
fashion icon

Depends if I have an event or special day or something.

If it's just a 'normal' day I usually go through clothes ideas laying in bed. If it's a special occassion I'll probably go through loads of outfits a few days before so I can plan what goes well together etc

11-10-2008
windowshopping

Before I wear it. I believe spontaneity is necessary to create a combination according to your mood. To prepare too much often means you don´t like it anymore when the time has come to put it on. That´s the only way that clothes reflect a mood. Exceptions are weddings and other events that require a certain dress code.

Last edited by styleplease; 11-10-2008 at 02:23 PM.
20-11-2008
once more, with feeling

How do you decide what to wear in the mornings?
i searched for similar threads, but didn't find one. mods, please combine if you find a similar thread.

I was reading someone's blog the other day where they mention how they decide what to wear when they get up in the mornings. Sometimes it's based on a theme, or a movie they've seen; sometimes it's simply an outfit worked around some item like a pair of shoes.

So I was wondering...

how do you get dressed in the mornings?
Do you have whole outfits planned in your head?
Or do you start with something more abstract, like a mood, a theme, a feeling, an inspiration, or a muse?
Do you start with a particular item that you want to wear that day?
Or do you usually start with a particular category, like shoes?

For myself, I usually have a rotating cast of outfits that I've worn, and I try to match an outfit to the feeling that I had when I wore it, and the feeling that I want to have that morning. It's a complicated process that involves a lot of changing back and forth.

But when I'm sleepy and short on inspiration, I start instead with any item that fits my mood, and then I build up an outfit around that.

front row

^ interesting questions!

I used to really dress up in college. Not fancy, just well planned. When I got up I would usually go through my closet until I found a piece I like or had in mind. Then I would build my wardrobe around that. For example, I would think about my black biker boots and my mind would think back to an image of say, Kate Moss wearing them with cut-off denim mini and a flowy vintage top. Boom, I'm there.

These days though, I work long hours at an office and weekends I go from downtown to suburb to run errands and visit my parents. So during weekdays, I pick out yet another pair of blah dress pants, a pair of flats (i walk to work), and a top that will match (usually it's just a fitted tee/tank with a sweater overtop). I'll add a simple necklace or something. I dressed up at work at the beginning but with so much work these days, I need as much comfort and ease as I can get. On weekends, I usually grab jeans as I can't wear them even on Fridays to work. And then either a tee and hoody or some casual top - again for comfort.

Really disappointing, but unfortunately I've realized that my lifestyle really affects how I dress. I've tried to put together more creative outfits but it seems like any "good taste" as been zapped out of me and I somehow the same clothes I used to get awesome outfits out of now look so blah.

Lol, that was depressing! I'm hoping to glean some inspiration from other's responses.

Power to the 99%

I suppose I might dress around a theme, but I'd be more likely to have a theme for an entire season, not a day. Movies ... I guess I was influenced by Out of Africa, but that was influencing fashion as a whole, and influenced my wardrobe. I'm afraid I don't have time to dress around elaborate fantasies :p

23-11-2008
fashion insider

i usually pick out the night before what i'll be wearing the next day....

23-11-2008
V.I.P.

I usually spend an hour in bed going through my pieces in my head and mix matching them with inspiring photos.
Some nights I just want to sleep but I can't!

24-11-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
i usually pick out the night before what i'll be wearing the next day....
^^ i do that too, that way it'll be quick to throw on in the morning. esp, if you wake up late or something.

blink once. blink twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleow View Post
The night before, I will think of what to wear first. So the next morning, I need not waste time pondering what to wear.
that's exactly what i do too. if i don't have enough time the night before i have to wake up extra early to pick out my clothes;sometimes, i just sit in my closet 'thinking' of what i'm gonna wear that day since i couldn't the night before. haha.

27-02-2009
fashion insider

On the day and I usually end up changing about 20 times before choosing something good. I should plan the day before tho

27-02-2009
backstage pass

Usually I have one item I want to wear that day/occasion (can be anything)
and I build by outfit around that. But I get dressed pretty fast, most of the
times within 5 minutes..

01-03-2009
front row

i decide in the morning after hitting the snooze button a dozen and one times, laying in bed and try to remember what has already been washed.

10-03-2009
V.I.P.

I typically decide either that morning or the night before. Because I like to sleep in on Sunday mornings I pick out what I will be wearing to church the night before. What would make it really easy for me would be to have a sort of database where I put together outfits for the week ahead, and then write down each piece along with the shoes and the accessories.

10-03-2009
backstage pass

I dress how I feel that day and what the weather will be like as well.

01-07-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
Usually I have one item I want to wear that day/occasion (can be anything)
and I build by outfit around that. But I get dressed pretty fast, most of the
times within 5 minutes..
Things changed a bit, because these days I choose what to wear the evening before. It saves me in the morning searching for different items of clothing and instead I can use that time to wake up (I'm not a morning person at all ).

In the weekends/days off I just take my time to decide what to wear. Both options usually take 5 minutes or less (maybe 10 when I'm looking for something I left at some random place ).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decide, wear