How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-12-2003
etre soi-meme

individualism rules

10-12-2003
V.I.P.

i never dress for others. be it a gala or me going shopping.
and most of the time i always get complimented on what i wear, so i guess thats good

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
12-12-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:19 am
and most of the time i always get complimented on what i wear, so i guess thats good
cheers! lol that's v. admirable, sigh I wish everyone dressed for themselves - its ridiculous dressing for anyone else, as long as ur happy with it who cares what the rest of the world thinks

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by tiffany+Dec 13th, 2003 - 3:29 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tiffany @ Dec 13th, 2003 - 3:29 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-leyla m.@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:19 am
cheers! lol that's v. admirable, sigh I wish everyone dressed for themselves - its ridiculous dressing for anyone else, as long as ur happy with it who cares what the rest of the world thinks [/b][/quote]
i'm with you

12-12-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena+Dec 12th, 2003 - 5:33 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Dec 12th, 2003 - 5:33 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by tiffany@Dec 13th, 2003 - 3:29 am
<!--QuoteBegin-leyla m.
Quote:
@Dec 10th, 2003 - 7:19 am

cheers! lol that's v. admirable, sigh I wish everyone dressed for themselves - its ridiculous dressing for anyone else, as long as ur happy with it who cares what the rest of the world thinks
i'm with you [/b][/quote]
id ress for mys elf as well, i refus to conform to otehr peoples ideas and standards or what looks good, and I think if yous hwo your true self people will respond positively

front row

I dress for myself as much as possible. For work I dress as much like myself as can be handled. I guess I interject myself into what I have to wear for work.

21-02-2005
backstage pass

I may not be female.

But I will wear my monocle on a sterling chain, and sometime all black ensembles beyond anybody's sinde thoughts.

And my sunglasses which I never take off be it rain or shine, indoors, and out. Night or day.

People stare too much.

Charles Baudelaire
21-02-2005
backstage pass

I think that its kind of "peacock" complex. They have an air of staisfaction that they stand out in the crowd for their colours or style, but using that to make an impression upon others - like peacocks.

Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany
I think they dress well to boost their own tragically self concious egos

it makes them feel better about themselves I suppose, which is sad. Fashion as an art form is wonderful and deserves to be appreciated as a means of expression.
but once you bring in body image and half the bs that goes along with it ur in trouble...
anyway, straying a bit but I think they dress well to convince themselves that they're 'speacial'
People dress to express themselfs and and feel good about themselfs, meaning that they feel comfortable and ready for the world, which means that it's all personal art how you dress....That's why I think it's kind of untrue what you are saying there....

twitter.com/ErikP87
21-02-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Dale
People dress to express themselfs and and feel good about themselfs, meaning that they feel comfortable and ready for the world, which means that it's all personal art how you dress....That's why I think it's kind of untrue what you are saying there....
I don't think fashion is only about expressing the positive in humans. There are tons of people that dress up in certain types of clothes (for instance logo's all over) to make theirselves look more important or more rich than they actually are. That sort of people usually don't feel all that secure about their life or who they are.

Pretty sad, but true.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemiu
I think really stylish peopeld ress for themselves

but I think many people whoa re deemed stylish by mainstream world are dressing to impress.
I agree.

And I dress in a way that I feel expresses who I am, and I want to feel like my clothes are a part of me. I look at fashion/clothes as art and self-expression, like music.

Regarding the statement, "Many avant-garde fashions are completely out of context in the non-fashion world, so that only another fashion insider can appreciate them," I love avant-garde fashion, and to me it isn't about being in or out of context with any certain world or being appreciated by anyone. It's just something I love, period.

Last edited by AlexN; 21-02-2005 at 01:04 PM.
21-02-2005
backstage pass

I think if you dress the way you really like, you project a kind of confidence that people find attractive - and that's the opposite of the "I'm wearing Gucci" kind of confidence that repels people.

21-02-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery
I think if you dress the way you really like, you project a kind of confidence that people find attractive - and that's the opposite of the "I'm wearing Gucci" kind of confidence that repels people.
agreed.

22-02-2005
windowshopping

Would anybody admit it if they did dress to attract or please a mate?
What about a business opportunity?

22-02-2005
scenester

My self... and of course getting compliments from friends or people asking you "hey where'd u get that" is a nice bonus too.

as for finding a mate or business opportunity, I mean I dress in boho style and japanese street style and I doubt the guys in my area would find that "hot or sexy" and I don't think law firms would see me on the street and want to hire me (I'm majoring in law/english)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, fashionable, women