How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2005
V.I.P.

"Fashionable" people rarely ever dress for themselves.

22-02-2005
V.I.P.

I think in a way or another, we all end dressing for everybody but for ourselves.

I mean we all live in a society don't we? The day we'll be 100% true to ourselves is the day we're going to be out of this society.

The biggest anti conformist on this planet, I am sure is dressing for others, and that even if he/she will tell you it isn't true. He/she by taking that point of view is trying to make a statement, but think about it, to WHO is that statement adressed?

Whatever one's tastes are (conformist are not), those tastes are all influenced by others. In one way or the other.

Last edited by Kimkhuu; 22-02-2005 at 08:48 PM.
23-02-2005
V.I.P.

i dress for my self, so when i look in the mirror im like wow i picked out this great outfit, i look way better then my friends. Sorry 2 sound big headed but this is basicly what i think but oviously not as strongly as this a much much milder version.

23-02-2005
chaos reigns

I think they dress for themselves ...
On my behalf ... I'll admit I have my fashion crisis, but as a very loved fspotter said, I'm schizo-chic!

23-02-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamaria
i dress for my self, so when i look in the mirror im like wow i picked out this great outfit, i look way better then my friends. Sorry 2 sound big headed but this is basicly what i think but oviously not as strongly as this a much much milder version.
I appreciate your honesty.

23-02-2005
front row

I can seriously say that I dress for my enjoyment, of course..

.. but I do take a certain pride of dressing well, I love compliments that I get about how well I dress, etc. And what's better than looking nice and appealing.. That's also a part that keeps me going.

23-02-2005
backstage pass

When I was 14, I dressed to attract the boys/men. When I was 17 I dressed to look expensive and defeat the competition
Now I dress in the dark JK NOW I dress for myself, whatever makes me feel artistic/stylish.

24-02-2005
V.I.P.

I think people with a certain amount of confidence will dress for themselves, but only to a certain extent. Whatever you're trying to do is to project a certain image of yourself. And that image is projected to someone else.

24-02-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu

The biggest anti conformist on this planet, I am sure is dressing for others, and that even if he/she will tell you it isn't true. He/she by taking that point of view is trying to make a statement, but think about it, to WHO is that statement adressed?

Whatever one's tastes are (conformist are not), those tastes are all influenced by others. In one way or the other.
a message can be made to toher people with out 'being' for tohers.

of coarse we are influenced by everybody, we live together, it's natural is a part of being in the world.

25-02-2005
V.I.P.

^ When a message is made TO others, it is obviously adressed to them. Therefore, it is made FOR them.

25-02-2005
front crow

no mean to contradict,
maybe we can dress for ourselves , trough the perception the others have towards us. maybe.. its all terminology... anyways.

in my case, my main reason is to dress for confort, theres nothing like feeling good in your clothes, quality fabrics, jerseys, knits..i love knits, soft leather. the touch of these on my skin makes my day.

Last edited by *sayan; 25-02-2005 at 08:50 AM.
25-02-2005
yes

i think that dressing a certain way can definately show the way in which you view yourself, and it can be used to blend into or stand out from groups and stereotypes..
dressing up can certainly demand a level of respect that dressing down wouldn't and vice versa.
its fun, and thats what fashion is all about, having fun

25-02-2005
windowshopping

For when? For where? For What?
Certainly, self-confidence and self-expression through fashion is a good thing, and if a woman like's how she looks, that will show through in her attitude and interactions with others -- which might land other bonus opportunities in totally unrelated ways.

But the idea of any serious artform or expression is that there is an audience. Taking oneself out of the context of society implies a certain disconnectedness, a sort of aesthetic schizophrenia. A ballroom gown at a swim meet? Lovely as art, certainly a bit eccentric, probably harmless, would make great fashion photography - but is it fashionable?

25-02-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
I think they dress for themselves ...
On my behalf ... I'll admit I have my fashion crisis, but as a very loved fspotter said, I'm schizo-chic!

27-02-2005
front row

Hmm, I'm not sure I consider myself a "truly fashionable woman" but I think I dress for myself on most occasions. Occasionally I'll doll myself up to look cute for a boy. My style is very simple, jeans and t-shirts or basic tops...occasionally I'll go a little wilder.

Usually I dress for Kmart however :p
Because I have to wear black pants and a white/red polo for work...and I'm there 9 hours out of most days.

Em

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, fashionable, women