How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-12-2003
scenester

Many avant-garde fashions are completely out of context in the non-fashion world, so that only another fashion insider can appreciate them. So with that in mind, for whom do fashionable women dress: themselves or other women? I consider Melanie Ward and Isabella Blow examples of this. Your thoughts please...

07-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

...me. They all want me so bad...

Themselves mainly. To be truly stylish I think you have to dress for yourself otherwise you'd never have the motivation.

V.I.P.

I think they dress well to boost their own tragically self concious egos

it makes them feel better about themselves I suppose, which is sad. Fashion as an art form is wonderful and deserves to be appreciated as a means of expression.
but once you bring in body image and half the bs that goes along with it ur in trouble...
anyway, straying a bit but I think they dress well to convince themselves that they're 'speacial'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100119092.jpg (35.6 KB, 57 views)

Stitch:the Hand

People dress themselves in accordance to their own personalities and emotions,not because some fashion type is wearing it. Melanie and Issy are merely expressing themselves just the same,in the way the dress;its not their job to push their own style on others. Anyway,to answer your question.....themselves,indefinitely.

07-12-2003
V.I.P.

I think really stylish peopeld ress for themselves

but I think many people whoa re deemed stylish by mainstream world are dressing to impress.

etre soi-meme

Quote:
I consider Melanie Ward and Isabella Blow examples of this.
Those two women are so different in their attitudes towards style, still i think they just dress to please themselves.
Isabella is a complete outrage, so i feel as if she's trying a bit harder than Melanie to live up to her self imposed 'eccentricity'. I suspect she wouldnt allow herself a 'simple' look just because it could make headlines, "isabella is loosing her touch' or something i find her a little victim of her own 'image' to be honest. On the other hand Ward is much more stylish and 'real', she's honest with her style and honesty always 'shows' in our way of dressing up. Fashion is a fun element in our everyday life, so the more honest we are with our choices, the better.

PS.There is this banal belief that women dress up to compete with other women of their social 'circle' I think this can be partially true (with some socialites, new rich and wish-i-were-rich-so-i-starve-for-labels girls) but i dont think it apply to real stylish women.

08-12-2003
Mannikin

It depends.. it could be for themselves or competition. Like in the 80's club scene, people like Leigh Bowery were into competitive dressing with other fashion fiends when going to a club. Or it could be for themselves, for people for whom the biggest luxury is not having to please others.

08-12-2003
no tom ford, no thanks.

i think truly fashionable women dress for other truly fashionable women. i think eccentrics dresss for themselves. but anyone who has a high-gloss near-runway look i've noticed generally dress for the whole shock and awe factor...the i-can't-believe-she's-wearing-an-alaia-alligator-coat gasp

Stitch:the Hand

Lena,I totally agree with you. Melanie,I've always admired. She and and her style. Mainly because she was never after shock.

What bugs me though is the mistakes people make bunching these kinds of ladies together is if they all dress alike. Diane Pernet was in London covering the shows and she was often idiotically confused with Issy Blow. Strange they may all have in common but oh so different on so many levels.

09-12-2003
rising star

this Fashionista dresses for.....ME

09-12-2003
backstage pass

theres a lot of different types of people who dress "fashionably" for different reasons. i dress the way i do because i have a vision of myself and how i should look.

and i think being a little competitive and staying ahead tends to push your limits and makes it more fun.

09-12-2003
backstage pass

I would hope that not only women, but men as well, dress for themselves.

They should dress in what they feel comfortable wearing, not dressing to impress someone else.

Although there is that saying, dress to impress, do it as long as you are comfortable in the way that you are dressed!

09-12-2003
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by smashinfashion@Dec 10th, 2003 - 1:45 am
. i dress the way i do because i have a vision of myself and how i should look.

me too, chears

09-12-2003
rising star

I would hope for themselves. It's sad when people can't be themselves.

09-12-2003
rising star

i have been told i dress like a train crash, but that it works
i dress for myself totally on the spur of the moment,
i think if you try to dress for others you will only get it wrong as it will always be your interpretation of what they want.
of course not everyone has that amount of freedom, or confidence, and dress is always going to be defined by the lifestyle of the inividual.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, fashionable, women