How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2014
windowshopping

Why is footwear for women either pretty or comfortable but not both?
Why is footwear for women either pretty or comfortable but not both?

Brands like Aerosoles, Sofft, Born, Nutralizer, etc. have succeeded in making footwear comfortable but they are definitely far from being fashionable when compared with other footwear brands. On the other hand popular fashionable footwear brands that roll out designs after designs of new styled shoes, somehow fail on the comfort factor that shoes should offer.

Therefore at any given time you are made to choose between comfort and style. Why cant there be a union of both?

Last edited by Ankita; 27-02-2014 at 03:40 AM.

27-02-2014
trendsetter

I do not think that is true. I do not live af life where uncomfortable footwear is an option, and I have plenty of shoes, both heeled and flat, that are comfortable enough to carry me through my daily life - even 8+ hours standing, at work.

27-02-2014
windowshopping

What brands would you suggest offer shoes that fit the bill for both style and comfort?

27-02-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankita View Post
What brands would you suggest offer shoes that fit the bill for both style and comfort?
The boots I have from ACNE (the pistol boots, both the long and the short version) are super comfortable. The first day I wore the short ones were for an 13 hour day, where I was on my feet constantly - no sore feets.

I also like MDK, Caterpillar, Karen Millen for stilettos and Nike for sneakers. Bloch, Anniel and Stylesnob for ballet flats.

27-02-2014
trendsetter

Well, comfort and beauty are so subjective. What's comfortable for one person might be uncomfortable for another. Some find more comfort in heels, others in flats. Some women are fortunate enough to have feet that are naturally structured to be able to withstand a wider variety of styles. Narrow, high shoes are beautiful but if your feet are not suited it's a moot point, and you may prefer chunkier styles anyway. It just depends on your needs.

That said, good shoe brands like Chie Mihara, Clergerie, and Ferragamo consistently make gorgeous and comfortable shoes for a wider variety of feet. I think YSL as well.

BTW, to mods: this should be in the shoes forum, thanks!

Last edited by Melisande; 27-02-2014 at 10:43 AM.
27-02-2014
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Well, comfort and beauty are so subjective. What's comfortable for one person might be uncomfortable for another. Some find more comfort in heels, others in flats. Some women are fortunate enough to have feet that are naturally structured to be able to withstand a wider variety of styles. Narrow, high shoes are beautiful but if your feet are not suited it's a moot point, and you may prefer chunkier styles anyway. It just depends on your needs.

That said, good shoe brands like Chie Mihara, Clergerie, and Ferragamo consistently make gorgeous and comfortable shoes for a wider variety of feet. I think YSL as well.

BTW, to mods: this should be in the shoes forum, thanks!
Thanks

28-02-2014
God Save McQueen

There is no such thing as a comfortable heel to me. I have flat feet and have basically been told by my podiatrist to wear athletic shoes and nothing but shoes with certain features for the rest of my life or else. Its actually impossible to find a non-sneaker with a removable insole, with a structured arch, with ankle support, etc. The only shoes that come close are Dansko, which are nurse shoes. At least sneakers are fashionable right now.

28-02-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
There is no such thing as a comfortable heel to me. I have flat feet and have basically been told by my podiatrist to wear athletic shoes and nothing but shoes with certain features for the rest of my life or else. Its actually impossible to find a non-sneaker with a removable insole, with a structured arch, with ankle support, etc. The only shoes that come close are Dansko, which are nurse shoes. At least sneakers are fashionable right now.
Have you looked into having your podiatrist make some insoles for you?

I just looked at Dansko, and there are some super cute sandal styles! I just love walking and am always on the lookout for comfy but cute shoes. I'll look into getting some for the summer. I have a friend who can only wear Dr.Scholl's, so I'll tell her about Dansko.

But it must be frustrating to have a severely limited choice of footwear I feel for you. Shoes are such an emotional issue for me. When I was in Japan they simply didn't make shoes my size (US 9, or French 40), which was awful enough.

Last edited by Melisande; 28-02-2014 at 05:41 AM.
28-02-2014
tfs star

Quote:
This is very true, I think. What makes a shoe comfortable depends so much on the shape of your feet. Personally I've resigned myself to the fact that wearing heels will never be comfortable for me, and I don't wear them apart from very special occasions. Instead I wear elegant flat boots (with cushioned insoles) in the winter and ballerina flats in the summer. My mother is the exact opposite, she has been wearing high heels every day of her life since she was 15, and claims that anything lower than 2-3" hurts her back. She can wear cheap shoes or expensive shoes, it doesn't really matter to her. She is either very lucky or has a very high tolerance for pain I suppose.

As for brands, I have also heard great things about Chie Mihara and would love to try a pair of heels from her. For ballerina flats Sam Edelman is the most comfortable brand I've tried, I was amazed the first time I tried them as they are super soft and cushioned.

28-02-2014
God Save McQueen

Quote:
Have you looked into having your podiatrist make some insoles for you?

I just looked at Dansko, and there are some super cute sandal styles! I just love walking and am always on the lookout for comfy but cute shoes. I'll look into getting some for the summer. I have a friend who can only wear Dr.Scholl's, so I'll tell her about Dansko.

But it must be frustrating to have a severely limited choice of footwear I feel for you. Shoes are such an emotional issue for me. When I was in Japan they simply didn't make shoes my size (US 9, or French 40), which was awful enough.
I do have custom orthodics. Thats why I need shoes that allow me to use them. Sandals are a big no, but most shoes are.

OP, This is more about healthy shoes than comfortable shoes, but any minimalist shoe is really bad for your feet. Ballet flats, thin sandals, etc. This can lead to pain. You want a shoe that isn't going to bend or flex in the middle. Thick, rigid sole, wide toebox, rigid heel.

After my diagnosis, I found blogs about shoes that are cute and comfortable. I really like these blogs, though the shoes are for those without foot problems who just want comfortable shoes.

http://podiatryshoereview.blogspot.com/
http://drshoereviews.com/

Last edited by masquerade; 28-02-2014 at 07:01 PM.
05-03-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade View Post
I do have custom orthodics. Thats why I need shoes that allow me to use them. Sandals are a big no, but most shoes are.

OP, This is more about healthy shoes than comfortable shoes, but any minimalist shoe is really bad for your feet. Ballet flats, thin sandals, etc. This can lead to pain. You want a shoe that isn't going to bend or flex in the middle. Thick, rigid sole, wide toebox, rigid heel.

After my diagnosis, I found blogs about shoes that are cute and comfortable. I really like these blogs, though the shoes are for those without foot problems who just want comfortable shoes.

http://podiatryshoereview.blogspot.com/
http://drshoereviews.com/
Hmm, that is very good to know about non-bendy shoes.
Thanks for the info and links!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
comfortable, footwear, pretty, women