How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

A Wife Beater is a criminal, not an article of clothing
i need to say this once and for all...

a 'wife beater' is a CRIMINAL...when we refer to clothing we say TANK TOP>>>!!!

you could go further and say 'ribbed tank top' ...

'wife beater' is an unfortunate term some people adopted to refer to this article of clothing once people told them to stop referring to it as a guinea tee...which was a derogatory term referring to italian americans...

so ...altogether now...a 'wife beater' is a CRIMINAL...NOT AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING!!!!....

26-06-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 26th, 2004 - 11:57 am
i need to say this once and for all...

a 'wife beater' is a CRIMINAL...when we refer to clothing we say TANK TOP>>>!!!

you could go further and say 'ribbed tank top' ...

'wife beater' is an unfortunate term some people adopted to refer to this article of clothing once people told them to stop referring to it as a guinea tee...which was a derogatory term referring to italian americans...

so ...altogether now...a 'wife beater' is a CRIMINAL...NOT AN ARTICLE OF CLOTHING!!!!....
I call them Guido tanks. Only because I see so many of them back home and also in hoboken... the chest hair hanging out of the tank top... a gold chain somewhere hidden under all of the chest hair. ... I guess my name for it is just as bad as wife beater... How about Old man undershirt?

26-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

yah ...as an italian american who is sick and tired of mafia and greasy stereo types...i don't appreciate the guido reference...

what is the problem with calling it a TANK TOP ? ...since that is what it is?!?!?...

do we have to invent a new name for it?...why?...what is the point?...

it's disrespectful and rude ...

26-06-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 26th, 2004 - 1:54 pm
yah ...as an italian american who is sick and tired of mafia and greasy stereo types...i don't appreciate the guido reference...

what is the problem with calling it a TANK TOP ? ...since that is what it is?!?!?...

I dunno. I guess I just never thought about it. I have tons of Italian friends who call them wife beaters and guinea tees too...

26-06-2004
backstage pass

It's different from a tank top though. It's a men's undershirt and you can buy them in little packages of two.

26-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by luna+Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:00 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (luna @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:00 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 26th, 2004 - 1:54 pm

I dunno. I guess I just never thought about it. I have tons of Italian friends who call them wife beaters and guinea tees too... [/b][/quote]
well...then they are fools...because it's a negative sterotype that they are perpetuating..it's not different than the word ******...would you call it a ****** tee...?...

and no banana... it's a ribbed tank top...it's not different...whether it's for men or women doesn't matter...and undershirt has sleeves...look at the package next time...

look at any magazine or in any store....the proper name is used...and no one seems to be confused...

26-06-2004
trendsetter

I've never seen anyone get so angry over tank tops..

26-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection

i'm not angry and it's not the tops that is the issue...

it's the careless use of terms...

if you stop to think about it...then i can't see how anyone could defend this terminology...so far no one has been able to...they just seem to think it's ok because no one has objected...

well...i object...

26-06-2004
front row

I always call it a beater, never wife beater.

26-06-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Jun 26th, 2004 - 3:51 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (softgrey @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 3:51 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by luna@Jun 26th, 2004 - 2:00 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-softgrey
Quote:
@Jun 26th, 2004 - 1:54 pm

I dunno. I guess I just never thought about it. I have tons of Italian friends who call them wife beaters and guinea tees too...
well...then they are fools...because it's a negative sterotype that they are perpetuating..it's not different than the word ******...would you call it a ****** tee...?...

and no banana... it's a ribbed tank top...it's not different...whether it's for men or women doesn't matter...and undershirt has sleeves...look at the package next time...

look at any magazine or in any store....the proper name is used...and no one seems to be confused...

[/b][/quote]
I'm sure they're not fools.

... I'll say no more.

26-06-2004
fashion icon

I call them tanks and I get great ones at Old Navy in all colors. They look great with flashy or intricate patterned skirts.

26-06-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by CelineChic@Jun 26th, 2004 - 5:59 pm
I call them tanks and I get great ones at Old Navy in all colors. They look great with flashy or intricate patterned skirts.
Ooh Yes.. Perfect fit tanks. I have like every color. old navy.

26-06-2004
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally posted by luna+Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:00 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (luna @ Jun 26th, 2004 - 6:00 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CelineChic@Jun 26th, 2004 - 5:59 pm
Ooh Yes.. Perfect fit tanks. I have like every color. old navy. [/b][/quote]
They're the best solution when you have no clue what to wear with a red and gold beaded skirt, or a peach and green skirt (inside joke)

They're also great to wear at the gym.

26-06-2004
trendsetter

I just bought two today from Express, on sale for $10. In blue and green. When I told my mom what I bought I called them tank tops. I dont think I've ever used wifebeater..

26-06-2004
backstage pass

I absolutely hate how "wife beaters" are such a staple in most people's closets today.

There are so many different shirts people can buy, yet all the girls at my school have 20 "wife beaters" in varying colors and 20 flip-flops to match. Its rediculous! They're cute when paired with other things I suppose but far too many girls wear just a "wife beater", capris, and flip-flops.

I only own one, which I wear with a skirt and a humongous flower and my Onitsuka Tigers.

I also hate how they're called wife beaters. I always give my friends a hard time when they use this term. Alot of people just call them "beaters" too which is better I suppose....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
article, beater, clothing, criminal, wife