How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-12-2003
backstage pass

Winter coats and jackets
I have two coats & a shearling. One coat is black, slim cut, hits below the knee. I like the way it's fits me, but it's sooo boring to wear! Tried different scarfs, but something still missing. Any suggestions on how to make it more fun & stylish? Not neccessarily with accessories, may be what to wear underneath? Any ideas are welcome!

06-12-2003
& b

Baby! wear colours, everything will look gorgeous with a black coat on top. I would wear hot pink pencil skirts with orange or yellow simple tops, with black pumps, or royal blue pants with acid green tees...the options are endless...

Mannikin

In my opinion, don't touch it. Black, below-the-knee and slim cut? Sounds like the perfect coat for the urban-city girl. But you wanna make it it intresting by what's "underneath."

Stick with neutral and monochromatic colors. Try to avoid much color since the coats color black. And knee-length boots can make it more stylish.

Hope this helps!

06-12-2003
backstage pass

Alejandro, that does sound awesome, thank you! but skirts & tops are not visible unless the coat is unbottened. So it's about pants & shoes, huh? i do need more color in my wardrobe, that's for sure...

Igni, those outfits are so cute! i actually do have beige pants that i wear with this coat (and so do tons of other women in new york ).
guus, thanks for great suggestions, both of you!

06-12-2003
& b

It all depends on your taste, and how are you feeling... Its so funny that Igni said to avoid colours and all I talked about was hot pinks and oranges

Mannikin

Quote:
Originally posted by Alejandro@Dec 6th, 2003 - 1:58 am
It all depends on your taste, and how are you feeling...
Ditto

06-12-2003
ingenue

true, if you do too much you'll just look overdone. I know you said scarves weren't doing it for you, but pashmina type scarves wrapped in different ways always work nicely, because you can change the entire look of the coat just by the way you wrap the scarf underneath - if you have them in lots of different colours, you can rotate the colours quite often and it keeps the look fresh. but really, a black coat is best being simply what it is.

06-12-2003
no tom ford, no thanks.

i am going to break the mold and give you a couple of ideas to spice up the outside...

putting a belt aroung coats to cinch them into your body is a trend that has been featured editorially a lot lately also, a colorful pair of gloves or boots, a hat or a scarf always spice up a black coat, and don't forget about the stand-out handbag....

but i must agree with everyone who has spoken so far in saying that a black coat looks black (especially if it is tailored nicely) against black-on-black

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeijames@Dec 6th, 2003 - 4:19 pm
i am going to break the mold and give you a couple of ideas to spice up the outside...

putting a belt aroung coats to cinch them into your body is a trend that has been featured editorially a lot lately also, a colorful pair of gloves or boots, a hat or a scarf always spice up a black coat, and don't forget about the stand-out handbag....

but i must agree with everyone who has spoken so far in saying that a black coat looks black (especially if it is tailored nicely) against black-on-black
agree 100%

i got loads of black coats and i spice them up with hot pink leather gloves or a colored pashmina (yes i still wear them).
usually my hsoes are always funky too

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
06-12-2003
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

You have to watch out about not being too tacky with what you pair with it, though. A black coat such as yours has a sort of sophisticated, clean-cut appearance about it. If you match up bright shoes are funky gloves, it can be pretty easy to look just all together NOT put together.

I guess that's just me, though - I don't like to mix bright/funky/retro with classic simply because the look isn't consistent to me.

That doesn't mean that some color won't suffice, though. I color - I have a beautiful striped scarf that just adds to any coat, and very nice gloves that are all so warm. Heh.

backstage pass

Yes, i agree that pairing classic with funky could be tough! I was actually thinking about adding a belt and getting pashmina-like scarves, so that could add some flair. It's great that i have a second coat in aqua/mint and my shearling is in olive, so i won't get too bored. Thank you guys, lots of cool suggestions from everyone

Utopia, you're back! I missed you.

06-12-2003
trendsetter

I love the way a black on black outfit looks with just one spot of colour...
I wear a long bright pair of gloves with my black coat...sticking to one spot of colour gives it more impact.

06-12-2003
V.I.P.

wear clothes with difrent volumes udnerniether, like a full skirt

fashion insider

almost all my coats are simple and slim cut, in black, white, brown, beige, grey those kind of basic colors, at the knee or the thigh length, and mostly I wear skirts.

whith that kind of a black coat, I wear tweed skirt and over the knee boots (in black or white), just as simple as that.
or skirts in brighter colors like orange and baby blue, or greyish purple and greyish red...etc, still with boots.

07-12-2003
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugo@Dec 6th, 2003 - 11:03 pm
I love the way a black on black outfit looks with just one spot of colour...
I wear a long bright pair of gloves with my black coat...sticking to one spot of colour gives it more impact.
me too, a dash of bold colour goes a long way with black coats, gloves must be the best way to add some 'funk' for fw03-04

i'm so bored of my black coats, i wish i could skip them for the season

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
coats, jackets, winter