How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2005
front row

Job - Dress - Code is a shame imo. I just did a internship at a law firm and it's only dark suits, no way to get a bit personality into that. I was even told to stop wearing my fave earrings because they 'convey an unserious image'. In the first week I recived a memo which was the dress code for women
- suits in black, grey, navy etc no strong bright colours
- if you wear a skirt shave your legs ( like who doesn't !?!) and the skirt has to cover your knees & always wear thighs
- always wear make up and perfume but in tasteful amounts
etc etc but lawfirms are evil anyway and I am soo happy to be back working for the museum

but I understand that in certain branches of buisness one really has to dress in a certain way to convey a serious image.
in my private life I only dress kinda out of style for family meetings, mostly because of my mothers stern view of elegance, but I admit that I also quite enjoy those little expeditions to the land of oldfashioned preppy style.
I would never change my everyday style for a guy though...

30-12-2005
no photos, no photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro
I had to change my style for my bf.

Nine months ago, I used to dress completely different, as you might remember, I was the closest thing to a drag queen in this forum but lately I've learned on how to tone it down to a better look, but still keeping a cool edge to it, I don't know, I like it now...
and here I was thinking it was just a phase

actually, I thought it was just a natural evolution of your personal style ale and I'm really digging it too......but you no longer wear the Amex earrings

I will never compromise anything about my life for another person to be allowed in......isn't that what attraction is all about. Personal style to me isn't just about the clothing you wear. It's the WHOLE package; hair, skin, clothes, posture, attitude...everything.

My first lesson in this came at a young age when I was "coming out". I lived in a small Florida town and ran around with the punk scene. The gays wanted absolutely nothing to do with me and because I thought I belonged with them I changed my style to fit in. And contrary to popular belief not all gays can dress I learned very quickly that that was not who I was and I wouldn't compromise myself to be part of a group that I didn't belong in anyways. Not that I'm not gay, I wasn't like them and had to find my own place in the world.

Changing your personal style for a profession is a completely different thing. For example: one of my friends that's a lawyer goes to work in a suit and tie complete with elegant cuff links and spit shined shoes. When he comes home and takes off the suit you see that both arms are covered in tatoos and he throws on his vintage Black Flag tshirt and baggy shorts to hang out with his friends. And as ironic as it may seem he is a damn fine lawyer and loves his job.

fashion insider

What Alex said.

At the moment, I am into being conservative, discreet...I am in high school. I don't want to be uptight, nor too "loose". So I'm buying pieces with discreet details, instead of over-the-top, which has never been my style.

I think most people accept this, so I have no problem except from the a$$holes who insult me because I have nice clothes.

They're trash anyway, so I don't need to change my style for other people to think well of me.
Like Alex, Purechris, Baizilla have said..it's a package, it's your personality speaking...if they don't like your 'style', your 'package'...then they don't like u and they can go to

31-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
I think most people accept this, so I have no problem except from the a$$holes who insult me because I have nice clothes.
That kind of jealousy and insecurity is so .

31-12-2005
scenester

Yeah I do.
Its unfortunate.Not to a great extent,but if I'm wearing something a little to fashionable/vintage/thrown together,my boyfriend will tease me for being a 'scenester',which he hates.
Otherwise I promise I'm very strong willed.

saying that,I recently bought a sparkly huge blue bag from paul's boutique at topshop.He hates it,and says I have lost my style.I love that,it makes me laugh so I take it out all the time.

Last edited by Tightasyoulike; 31-12-2005 at 11:52 AM.
31-12-2005
Proponent of Plaid

I tone it down for work a bit, of course, and my style has changed somewhat over the years, due to me giving up on a few bad choices and adopting a few other styles when they came available, but for a romantic relationship, I would not change my style.

For example, my husband has expressed the notion that he doesn't like brown, and that's all well and good, but brown is one of my good colors, and it is appropriate for work, so I wear brown clothes quite a bit, especially during the work week. He also likes when I wear skimpy clothing or tops which show my stomach, but that's not appropriate many places, so I rarely dress like that. I can make my husband happy in so many other ways, that the clothing issue seems so insignificant.

That said, I will dress up for him once in a while, just because it does really amuse him. Sometimes all you need is a skimpy top and a short skirt. Ya know?

no photos, no photos

Sometimes all you need is a skimpy top and a short skirt. Ya know? [/quote]

so good to see you

windowshopping

However much people say they won't change their style for others, I think that in reality, style is something that changes over time.

And sometimes, it changes because of others, whether we like to admit it or not.

I think that when people that they wouldn't change for others, this is probably either overly idealistic and unrealistic, stupidly hardheaded, or some sort of evasion.

I think most people that care about style and fashion are social beings in some way or other and care about the people around them and their interactions with the people around them

It would probably be just as accurate to say that style (of course) changes and that sometimes those changes (however subtle) are motivated by the influence of others, but people don't want others to push them around, tell them what to do and what to wear.

09-01-2006
backstage pass

Very well put dietcoke.

I was also thinking that although i wouldn't change my style from somebody asking, external factors such as friends and city for instance have a big role to play in what determines your style.

Even though everyone loves to be an individual it is also very contradictory, as those same people will be the ones closely following the trends.

Also a little bit of constructive criticism never hurt anyone either. Even if you are a fashion guru an outsiders perspective sometimes can be put to good use.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolloz
Also a little bit of constructive criticism never hurt anyone either. Even if you are a fashion guru an outsiders perspective sometimes can be put to good use.
I agree. Sometimes I might change something based on suggestions and other times, people might suggest something and I ignore their suggestions.

09-01-2006
fashion icon

No I won't change my style for others...my parents have told me to tone down the way i dress (which I never understood, I'm not even wearing very outlandish clothing ) to blend in more with the college crowd and thus making it easier for me to make friends...people here have told me to wear more color and stuff like that, but it's not me. I'd rather be wearing black clothes and walking down the street mean mugging

09-01-2006
trendsetter

In the great words of Whitney, "Hell to the naw!"
I dress for me. If I liked their style of dressing I could add some pieces to my wardrobe mayyybe but changing it all for them..hah.

10-01-2006
tfs star

I will subtly change it e.g. my brothers hate my Ramones shirt, so I won't wear it if I know I'm going somewhere with them. I would never change my total style... like it or lump it. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter shouldn't mind.

-G.

10-01-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro
I had to change my style for my bf.

Nine months ago, I used to dress completely different, as you might remember, I was the closest thing to a drag queen in this forum but lately I've learned on how to tone it down to a better look, but still keeping a cool edge to it, I don't know, I like it now...
i haven't changed my style for someone else, but this reminds me of me - the transition from over the top to classically cool, and i feel an itch to revisit the former. i think the great thing about dressing over the top is that it seems to reflect an absurdity about dressing up; you really cannot take yourself to seriously if you're risking offending people.

Last edited by travolta; 10-01-2006 at 04:01 AM.
10-01-2006
V.I.P.

I'm a complete clothes flake tbh. Of course I take strong views on what I want to wear and I always go with my instincts. But my instincts are also factored by several things:
1) What I doing? Work, unformal/informal
2) Where will I be going? Clothes practicalities?
3) Who will I be seeing? The crucial one that most people here have said they wouldn't change their style for but for me, I don't mind adapting to the people around me. If I'm going to see my grandparents, I won't wear anything UBER UBER outlandish...that's not to say I don't like the outfit I choose because I love everything I own.

Fortunately, I have by and large been allowed to go with whatever I feel like wearing. Even at work. So as yet, I don't feel like I've had to compromise my style negatively and I don't think I would....well, at least to the point of me actually looking at an outfit and saying 'Ick...can't believe I have to wear this!'

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
change, style