How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-02-2011
V.I.P.

As long as I feel comfortable I couldn't care less about other people's opinions. Who says they're able to judge anyway? My clothes always go with the mood I'm in, if I feel conservative or girly so be it, if I feel tired and mousy, so what. Sometimes I feel like "what ever" and those are the days I don't care about anything.

On the other hand I often feel the need to give advise to others. I usually bite my tongue.

Last edited by diesanni; 11-02-2011 at 04:33 PM.

11-02-2011
front row

I wouldn't feel offended. In fact I'd feel flattered someone actually noticed what I was wearing, people don't usually haha.
I tend to laugh insults off anyway so I'd find it quite entertaining.

12-02-2011
trendsetter

I must admit that I feel good about my style and therefore I do not want advice - because I usually think my outfit is as good as it can get. Not that I am a fashion oracle in any sense

I only want fashion advice if I request it. I wouldn't be offended but I would think it was weird and a little bit rude if someone wanted to give me advice without me asking for it; if you do not have anything nice to say, then do not say anything.

Last edited by Betinapple; 12-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.
13-02-2011
front row

I think its also a bit different when you clearly know there is something wrong with your outfit but you think you can get away with it...eg. my faaavourite Alannah Hill cardy has a thread loose on the cuff which ive mended but its split like half an inch into it which you can hardly see. Only two people have gone "ohhhh youve pulled a thread" and youve gotta go "oh noo!" lol

backstage pass

I think it's rude to give someone advice he/she didn't ask for, even if your intentions are good. Maybe that person doesn't care about dressing perfectly, doesn't have enough money, was getting dressed in a hurry that day, etc. I love clothes, but I think part of the reason fashion lovers get a bad rep is because some people think we're superficial snobs. If a friend ASKS what you think, whole different story.

13-02-2011
rising star

I think I would find it from strange to rude if someone came up to me and started criticizing my outfit without me asking them to. I could be thankful though, if it's constructive criticism, though maybe not at that moment . Then whether I would find it offensive or not depends obviously on how it's worded. If someone came up to me and told me I looked like a two cent hooker (like someone commenting on some poor girl's outfit wrote in this forum) then I mean, how could I not? And I also hate patronizing comments, so those could also offend. But I usually stick to my grandma's advice, if you don't have anything nice to say, then why say it all?

13-02-2011
windowshopping

I'd feel offended only if I didn't ask for any opinions to begin with.

I think it's kind of weird to "criticize" outfits in the first place since it has a lot to do with personal style, which is very subjective. Personally, I keep my mouth shut unless people ask for opinions.

chaos reigns

The thing is .. I do agree it IS bad manners to criticize what someone wears ... but when you see someone who desperatedly needs help (the movie 'Clueless' comes to mind). Isnt it like your duty to give em a hand?

V.I.P.

i would
i would be totally offended. normal people aren't dressed to impress everyone. this isn't an award show.

15-02-2011
unspecified

If you have a strong sense of self, then most probably you'll have a very defining personal style. What you wear is a proyection of your mind, what you choose. You've put on that outfit because you want to, having someone criticize it makes that person a bit arrogant because they are ignoring your escence as if it was something unimportant.
In addition to the fact that most critics are merely based on taste, so what's wrong really means I don't like it and would never wear it- which leads me to think sure, because it's you and not me, I would wear it like I am wearing it right now.
A different story is if someone comes and says I like how you've put this together, I would never do it, it's not me at all, but I like how fitting it is for you. That remark is far from rude, and it still is a critic (critics aren't always bad) and we are talking about styling in a respectful way.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
15-02-2011
flaunt the imperfection

i often want to give people advice...
especially in our own WAYWT thread...

but as you can all see from this thread...
most people only want to hear the good stuff...
so i bite my tongue...
OFTEN!!!...

i cant say anyone has ever given me any advice or criticism...
though i wouldn't mind it, i don't think...
it's nice to get someone's objective opinion...

but i have gotten just random comments...
like- one time wearing clogs, some guy said 'what's with the shoes?'
* pretty meaningless and just kind of ignorant *
or- i've overheard people calling me a 'black cat' cause i was wearing all black japanese designer stuff...
* again, pretty meaningless *
both of these from really boring 'suburban' types...whose idea of dressing up is jeans and a graphic T...
:p

i think i agree- it really depends who is making the comment...
if someone could actually help me look better...
then, hell...
YES PLEASE...why wouldn't i want to look better?!...

15-02-2011
front row

I'm glad I made this thread. It's really helped me understand how different people feel and think! I totally agree with what softgrey said above!
And I agree with petitelucille as well, but sometimes you can just see that a person is going for a certain "look" and they've just accessorized too much or chose the wrong accessories... but again... that would be based on only one person's opinion... so we're back to square one.

V.I.P.

In my personal opinion if something didnt suit me and my boyfriend or friend or whoever didnt tell me id be more offended and upset then if they did tell me. if that makes sense? if they let me go out looking stupid or whatever id be so hurt. Good friends should be able to tell each other things. Although randomers on street might get a mouthfull if they pulled the same stunt haha.

17-02-2011
backstage pass

I would be offended unless I had asked what someone's opinion was. I think this is a baaaad idea.

17-02-2011
Some Like It Hot

I wouldn't be offended as long as it was a constructive criticism, i'd appreciate it if a friend told me 'that looks hideous, change now!' which, thank god, doesn't happen.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
criticized, offended, outfit