Your decorating style - Page 18 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
24-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ Oh, I also have a glassed-in bookcase from the 30s, carved, with an Art Deco influence. It has drawers at the top. It's beautiful, but as it turned out I'm not crazy about having the books behind doors ... I like the open shelves better.

24-09-2009
front row

Ya, I am about to just bite the bullet and get Ikea shelves. But I am so not a fan a "placeholders" for things. Because you end up spending more than you would like, first on the place holder and then on the actual item. But there is no more room in the little storage room in my apartment (my vacuum is literally sitting outside) for my books and I have another stack on one of my dining chairs and another stack in my bedroom. It is starting to get ridiculous.

24-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ I agree ... I don't do placeholders either. Better to just have a blank spot till you figure it out.

The issue I have with IKEA is their stuff isn't solid wood (typically), so it off-gasses ... I refuse to allow any MDF into my home.

PS See the clutter-clearing thread for tips on shedding books you no longer really need

24-09-2009
front row

^ I'll trade you my secretary for your deco book shelves. lol.

I would love to decorate like Anthropologie. They do it amazingly.

I am dying for this lamp. Why is it $400?!?!

24-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ Not such a bad price ... I'm sure there's some money in the design, and the balance mechanism and weighting I expect may be fairly complex. If you think that's bad, check out pricing on vintage floor lamps ... the ugly ones are $1000.

25-09-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatique View Post

I am dying for this lamp. Why is it $400?!?!
I was discussing the topic recently with some architects and interior designers, who all agreed that Ikea lamps are the best value, by a huge margin!

I haven't used any personally so I don't know from experience, but you can customize them to your liking.

26-09-2009
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Dramatique please quote the source of your image, or it will be removed. Thankyou.

front row

Opps, sorry, picture credit for post #259 is Anthropologie

28-09-2009
Not Thinking About Time

my own photos. Basically I like to decorate the opposite of how I dress lol. I love to clash and use bright colors.

I really like these pieces from Anthropologie home

Portfolio Last FM
29-09-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I agree ... I don't do placeholders either. Better to just have a blank spot till you figure it out.

The issue I have with IKEA is their stuff isn't solid wood (typically), so it off-gasses ... I refuse to allow any MDF into my home.

PS See the clutter-clearing thread for tips on shedding books you no longer really need
I just moved into my brothers old apartment, very similar layout but bigger... I really dont like to use placeholders either but I cant afford all the stuff I really like right away. It'll take years before I can get all the things I want so I have to get place holders and slowly purchase the things I actually want I have a few things I really like with some filler ikea and hand me downs.

When I first started buying furniture I didnt really know the look I was going for and didnt plan so well. I cringe when I think I could have gotten the togo couch for what I spent on my couch and chairs. I like them but it's not really the look I want.

29-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ I believe in living with 'white space' while figuring it all out I didn't even own a couch till 8 1/2 years ago. I'm replacing some of the slipcovers so I just got a copy of my original order ... I noticed I hadn't closed on my house yet when I ordered it, but I had made up my mind & had the contract on it The house has a real personality & helped clarify for me what I wanted.

I had to kind of separate myself from my parents' style ... I grew up with a Duncan Phyfe sofa with visible wood, and spent many happy hours on it reading My sofa now has a pillow back, slipcovers, and no wood showing. What they have in common is both are very comfortable to sit on horizontally with your head and neck against the curved arm. It took me awhile to work out what was important to me, and what my style was ... I still have things from my 20s, but most I wouldn't acquire today. I still approve of my Cargo pine bookshelves, the first of which I bought early on. I ordered more a few years ago ...

29-09-2009
front row

^ I have had to separate my style from my parent's as well. I couldn't get away from it completely. I still believe in having an antique piece (no matter how modern the room) to ground the space. I spent weekends as a kid reading in some dank antique store while mom and dad spent hours looking for that perfect piece. My father has happily surrendered his position as assistant "buyer" over to me. He stays at home napping now while I follow my mother around to antique stores.

Guessgirl, I did however, break down and bought one placeholder piece: a dresser. I couldn't stand my clothes being all over the floor. I think the trick is to figure out what you absolutely can wait to have. A dresser could not be waited upon.

29-09-2009
V.I.P.

^ My style too is influenced by my family's ... not that there's anything wrong with recreating your family's style, but I found that it wasn't me.

When my grandfather retired, he opened an antiques shop, and his specialty was Early American. He gave my mother various pieces, so what I grew up with was kind of in his taste. Mostly mahogany.

I love old things too, but early 20th century is my thing. Ironically, my grandparents lived through that whole period, but don't have any of that great Deco stuff because they were collecting older things

After I started collecting Lu-ray, I found out that when my mother was born, my grandfather brought my grandmother a four-piece place setting of it. She was pretty good at breaking things, though--there was none of it left by the time I came along.

I also like lighter woods--pine, maple, and I also have some black lacquer. Prefer chrome and nickel to brass and gilt. All of that the opposite of my family.

My grandfather's been gone for many years, and the rest of the family are not what you might call generous, so except for the furniture that was mine growing up, I didn't have any family pieces. Which turned out to be a great thing for developing my own taste.

I had a mahogany bed & chest of drawers that I used until I bought my own ... I can see how you would consider a chest of drawers a necessity Here, though, for $100-200, you can get a decent chest of drawers at an antique mall. Something that would make perfectly good storage elsewhere later on ...

I used to have a whole big chest of drawers filled with gift wrap, gift bags, ribbon, cards, etc., and would love to do that again.

30-09-2009
V.I.P.

antique-linens
Got this never-used tan French linen sheet from the early 20th century ... the drawnwork border is across the top of the sheet.

01-10-2009
front row

Mmm... gorgeous. I have some vintage hankies I am giving my ladies but in no way the pristine collection you have. I have not got so far as to collect linens yet. Still working on furniture! Heh!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decorating, style