How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-10-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatique View Post
Mmm... gorgeous. I have some vintage hankies I am giving my ladies but in no way the pristine collection you have. I have not got so far as to collect linens yet. Still working on furniture! Heh!
Well, that too I guess I'm kind of in phase 3 now ... I need to replace my bed, and the linens I originally bought for it, and I need some new slipcovers for my sofa (bought about 8.5 years ago).

I have vintage quilts and chenille spreads, but hadn't bought antique sheets before, so I thought I'd try it ... they're so much more beautiful than what you can get now, and of course very green ... I think carefully about new cotton purchases since conventional cotton is so pesticide-intensive ... the new linens I am buying are linen rather than cotton (fitted sheets, pillowcases). Hemp is another possibility, haven't tried that yet.

01-10-2009
front row

*sigh* Linen is gorgeous. And they soften beautifully over time. Mine was a gift from my mother. And they don't do bleach very well. So if you live with a boy prepared for moments like "Argh! Are you eating in bed? Is that chocolate ice cream?" Men have no sense sometimes.

01-10-2009
Power to the 99%

emsheart
^ Oh there will definitely be none of that This is the last one I got ... had to have it because it's my monogram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheet1.jpg (113.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sheet2.jpg (99.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sheet3.jpg (116.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg sheet4.jpg (79.5 KB, 2 views)

03-10-2009
V.I.P.

source | maciekkobielski.com

It's unreal how much my Home Office looks like this. The frames, the photos, the colours, just everything

Riot Bug

My decoratrion style needs a bit of mess to feel im at home home... :p
my fav books, old toys, computing stuff... i gotta take pictures...
It used to be mess into mess... now im trying to create a nice calm environment... chaos in my room was like getting into terrible levels ...but i recognize i need a lil' bit of chaos to feel completely comfortable in.

tfs star

This thread has been hibernating for three years!
I'm moving to another apt in Paris this week, and would appreciate some ideas...

Question: If you had one salon and had to choose between creating a dining area and a living area with sofas and coffee table, which would you take?

The pre-furnished apartment has a sofa and a comfy chair and a coffee table for the living area, and a foldable dining table and chairs, and a kitchen where you can eat at the counter. I'm thinking the dining table should be stored away except for dinner guests...on the other hand, keeping the dining table out could be useful to work at home...

I love decorating and I'm getting sick of being a nomad due of my work, but on a good day I remember that my wings and dreams are my home :S

28-08-2012
i'm almost ready..

^Personally I'd go with the living area...

It depends how often you entertain, and how big the kitchen is too... is the counter area suitable to have a few friends over for a casual meal? is it a big hassle to unfold the dining table and chairs....and where would you put them?

I really think it depends how often you realistically think you'll use it, but dining tables that double as work spaces are very dangerous imo....before you know it it's covered in paperwork and mail and it'll be messy and stressful. better to fold the dining table up and only really use it when you'll be eating at it.

28-08-2012
Power to the 99%

notonthehighstreet
I'd go with the living area as well, and perhaps if possible put a table for two in a window or something ... or on a balcony. That would be a nice place for breakfast or dinner a deux.

I made the other choice as dictated by my furniture at the time, and I can't say it worked that well

I haven't been decorating much lately, but I did get this clock for my office ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clock_bouquet_pink.jpg (84.3 KB, 2 views)

29-08-2012
tfs star

Thanks adorefaith and ta-ta for your wise and experienced input, I'll go with youses advice! SO true about the dining-table-cum-desk

Yes, in fact the counter area is good for a casual meal for about three, and there is, in fact, a smaller café type table where two can sit and eat by the window. I'm moving in tomorrow, and will try and experiment once I'm settled in.

Since it's not my own place, I desperately wanted a feeling of purity to "cleanse" the place and make it my own if only for a few months or however long, so I'm changing all the curtains and bed linens to pure white. Add a few lavender pillows I already have, and my beautiful candles and room perfumes from Ladurée and Diptyque and my favorite paintings I travel with. I also got a few new dainty plates and glasses to enjoy dining with my best friend.

Last edited by Melisande; 29-08-2012 at 07:23 PM.
06-02-2013
front row

I love decorating I love so many styles, but primarily it's kind of a modern version of shabby chic (that phrase is so overused :p)
I unfortunately still live with my parents, so I can't really decorate a whole apartment, but I'm planning to move away in a couple of years, as soon as I finish college. Then I'll go completely crazy with the decorating I'm already invisioning my new bedroom... A wall in Tiffany blue and bedding in the same colour, with a plush cream/ivory throw on top of it. Furniture will be white wood and the headboard will be ivory as well... Then I'll have a chandelier over the room and vanilla-scented candles burning. A huge bouquet of pale pink peonies in a big glass vase next to the bed and a book on style on the night stand. Silver accents throughout the room. And to shatter the illusion, my boyfriend's dirty clothes will probably be lying on the floor.
I would love to post some photos, but unfortunately I don't have the sources as they're all saved on my computer...

Last edited by Juliette; 06-02-2013 at 04:16 AM.
18-08-2013
Power to the 99%

Today I am getting a little crafty Recently I bought an unusual vintage wicker piece ... an etagere I guess (has about 5 shelves in graduated sizes, all woven, ending with a little baby one at the top the size of an envelope) that I plan to put in my bath to hold stuff. My bathroom has no built-in storage. I've added two glass whatnot shelves, and I have a small wicker piece with two shelves that sits on the commode, but there's no room to put anything other than my personal necessities. I have a pedestal sink with no counter, no medicine cabinet, linen closet in the hall, etc. So I think it will be really useful ...

Right now the etagere is painted a seriously hideous brown, which is worn, revealing the original white underneath. Trust me when I say it is not a good look ...

I bought paint yesterday ... a pale green + matching pearlescent green glaze, which suddenly seemed like a good idea So today I'm planning to give it a makeover ...

18-10-2014
tfs star

I remember as a kid constantly rearranging my tiny bedroom and my mother letting me redecorate and paint the walls and furniture so long as I did the work myself. When I was 18 I randomly bought a book on interior design at a book sale, and since then I've been hooked on interior design and architecture!

I love my apartment, though I don't know how I'd describe my decorating style…rustic elegant scandinavian? What I find interesting is how the style has been largely influenced by the structure of the apartment. It's definitely very 'me', but if I lived somewhere else or if I were to design my dream space I'm sure it would look a bit different. More minimalistic for sure, but that just doesn't suit my current space at all, and with very little storage space in a rented apartment it would also be too difficult to maintain. My kitchen for example is tiny and has almost no cabinet space. It does have high ceilings, so I use the vertical space with lots of open shelves to store dry goods in glass jars, and to keep all my plates and bowls (I collect vintage creamware) that I use regularly. It definitely has a charming vintage utilitarian look, and I just kind of roll with that (I love cooking and need to store all my stuff! ), but if I owned my space it would be much more sleek.

18-10-2014
Power to the 99%

^ I agree that the space really makes a difference! I like a lot of different things, but my house, which is English cottage style, has a definite opinion about what belongs there. I had never owned a sofa before I bought the house, waffling between the kind of more formal furniture my parents had, tufted, blah blah blah. As soon as I had the house, I knew exactly what kind of sofa belonged there. I think I ordered it before I had even closed!

19-10-2014
tfs star

Your cottage sounds lovely Ta-ta.
By the way, how did painting your wicker etagere turn out?

19-10-2014
Power to the 99%

How it turned out is that wicker must be spray painted, or you will never get it done So I bought spray paint in a similar but not as fabulous green, and finished it

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decorating, style