How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

You can get wonderful, colorful, inexpensive bedspreads at import shops.

I got the one for my bed at a little hippie giftshop, but I have seen ones like this at Pier One before and at any decent head-shop. Sometimes you see them at street markets, too. They're typically from India and are batiked or woodblock-stamped.

The bed is antique. My folks bought it at a flea-market many years ago, but later found themselves a much cooler atique wooden bed with knobby, spindle-turned posts, so I got this one from them when my husband and I got married. The dresser is vintage, an heirloom from my husband's grandma, and dates to the 1950s. I have two other little knotty pine dressers and a desk that my mom and I bought at a yardsale when I was 13, which she used to teach me how to strip and refinish furniture. We also have a cool, vintage, metal-framed rocking-chair that my husband got from a friend who was moving house and didn't want it anymore.

I dyed the sheer curtain myself, with several colors of dye and a spraybottle. The fringey one is an old bellydancing hip-scarf that had too many snags to really be wearable anymore, but I liked the color, so I put it up on the window. The other window is shaded by a piece of batiked fabric that has a leaf-green border and a paisley pattern in blue and yellow.

Eventually, I am going to paint the walls a butter yellow, then do a rag-roll texture finish in periwinkle blue over it. I will probably get some new bedspreads after I do the painting, as my dark-color Indian print bedspreads are getting pretty worn out and wouldn't look that great with the new paintwork. I will probably use the old Indian bedspreads to make some throw pillows for the living room sofa, which is rust-brown (and old).

13-04-2004
backstage pass

Oooh, I love the style of that bedspread. I would get something like that for my bed in a hearbeat (though perhaps in more vibrant colors to suit my style). What is it about Indian stuff that is so appealing to me lately? First the saris and now this...It's kind of odd. After all, that's one area that my mom doesn't visit for her business, so of course I can't get the stuff I like/want wholesale. There's lots of Asian-y stuff in my house(s) anyway, partly because my mom travels there and partle because my step-mom used to live there. I guess that explains it somewhat.

I also love the way you have some things like handbags on display on your wall as decorations/works of art. Perhaps I'll try some variation of that.

13-04-2004
V.I.P.

Another idea is to put together some curtains using sari fabric. It's actually relatively cheap, especially if you do it yourself, and you can find some gorgeous designs. I have mine in deep purple with black detailing and my sister finished the edges in black velvet. I think that they look really stunning and it was fairly easy to make. Good luck!

13-04-2004
windowshopping

Ikea!

I know it can sometimes have a bad rep... but for someone likeme, who feels a need to change her surroundings at least once each year, it is a great option!
They actually have some really cute duvets and shams... but I would recomend spending a little more on the sheets. But the rugs, curtains, pillows are great, and quite inexpensive!

One thing I would suggest is buying neutral pieces for the big things-
a simple bed frame, dresser, chair/sofa... also a plain conforter that you can use as a duvet (therefor changing only the cover if you get tired of it+ you can wash the cover!)

Then as your tastes change, you can replace the accessories, but still maintain the basic frame of the room.

I'd much rather buy cool sheets or pillows every other year than a complete bedroom set!

15-04-2004
front row

I recently redid my room so I know how overwhelming it can be.

My suggestion is to paint your room a neutral colour and keep furniture such bedside table and desk plainish (i.e.beech wood will go with anything and looks nice)...and have one brightly coloured feature wall...and make it BOLD!

Sometimes it is easier to find a bedspread before you paint the feature wall so the colours will compliment each other. And then because the rest of the room is fairly neautral if eventually you do get sick of it, you can just replace the bedspread and repaint that one wall if need be.

I dunno, thats just what I did with my room
Hope that helps somewhat.

15-04-2004
V.I.P.

I've posted something in a thread very similar to this one.

07-04-2008
Power to the 99%

Your decorating style
Well, I searched & couldn't find another thread like this one ... if you know of one, please post a link ...

So ... this thread is to talk about ... your decorating style!!! Discuss ...

07-04-2008
front row

Home decorating style right?

08-04-2008
girl who fell to earth

there is an interior decor thread in art & design

sort of similar, i guess

08-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Thanks, Chrissy, I think that's the one I was thinking of ... but I think this is still a good topic for Personal Style

steph, yes, definitely home decorating style ...

Well, I will start ... my decorating style is English cottage meets Deco. I have lots of things from the 20s and 30s, and many of them have a Deco touch, like dinnerware with Deco lines. I also have the other end of the spectrum ... Degue and other French frosted glass light fixtures and lamps.

I love flowers & Georgia O'Keeffe ... I find her prints very inspirational, and you'll find them around my house. I also like black and white photography. I have a couple photos from the Eames' personal collection ... one of them together in the office, and another he took of her. She's lounging in a chair wearing espadrilles (clothes too :p) with a huge smile on her face.

I like light woods ... I have a lot of pine and vintage birds-eye maple (I have most of a Moderne bedroom suite--the pieces are scattered around). My floors are oak and red heart pine. I have the pine finished without stain so you can see its own color, which is beautiful. I also like black lacquer Deco tables.

I love things that have little houses on them, especially with smoke coming out of the chimney I have hooked rugs, dinnerware, many things with sweet little houses. Not by coincidence, my house looks like them

Although I don't like to wear green--at all--and always struggle to find something to wear on St Patrick's Day (if I remember it ), it's an important color in my house. Almost every room has jade green as an accent color. I also collect glass in this color (as well as purple, some pink, clear, opalescent, etc.). I go to a great local glass show every six months, and pretty much never fail to come home with something--but sometimes it's pottery or dinnerware rather than glass.

That's another thing ... I love color. People whose houses are all off-white (string-colored, as Rosamunde Pilcher says) absolutely mystify me. My closet has color too, but my house even more so.

I like doing what people say can't--or shouldn't--be done. Red is an important color in my bedroom, but there's also lots of ivory, sage green, tan, light wood, and a bit of black. When my bedroom used to be blue (color I inherited), it was terrible for me--depressing, not restful.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 08-04-2008 at 10:32 AM.
08-04-2008
Storm &amp;amp;amp; Sommer

now you make me want to see pictures!!

pinterest : hanneonpin
08-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ And you know how terrible I am about pictures I have some, but none of them digital ...

08-04-2008
tfs star

When I finally have my own place to decorate I think I'd like something that looks like a Parisian apartment meets a serene beach house (that doesn't have drunk spring breakers around it or in it) but I don't really know what that would look like.

08-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Sounds interesting!

That's where all the agonizing comes in, as you contemplate how disparate elements are going to work together I will say, though, that I don't remember any failures ... everything I've tried has worked.

One thing I've found important is to have a space with a personality. As you do what's appropriate for the space, that becomes a guide ... I've had what I thought were good ideas, and tossed them out because they didn't work for the space.

08-04-2008
backstage pass

I'm going to be an interiorstylist, so im always busy with interior..

Dont really know how to describe my own style in english... Its modern combined with eeehm. how do i say this, nature elements i guess lol..

Like small salon tables from wood, where you can really feel the texture.. ?lol.. just rough material

I also combine new stuff with old stuff i find at second hand stores.. love to walk around and discover great furniture..
I also just got this beaaautifull cupboard? i guess its called in english.. for free!! will post a picture when i get it.

I dont like really busy interiors, i use color in my accesoires so i can change it and you have a whole new interior without spending to much money.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decorating, style