Your decorating style - Page 22 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
16-02-2015
flaunt the imperfection

i think the wall will wind up looking somewhat like this door...
probably needs a coat of warm beige underneath with a layer of indigo glaze on top...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/264938390555471186/

if i am going to stare at these walls every night as i fall asleep, i want them to have texture and interest...

what i am not sure of is the ceiling...
it is variegated tin... 12 ft high...
so it is basically big wide stripes...
i think i could paint it some sort of brown/beige too look like wood rafters...like on a ship or in a warehouse...

and i have an antique book that is full of gorgeously coloured scientific drawings of fish that i might pull apart and put up...

i'm basically building a ship and setting sail...

18-02-2015
scenester

another from my room and the entrance Hall

09-03-2015
flaunt the imperfection

first step towards the goal...
ordered these pillowcases as an accent print to go with my solid grey sheets and pillowcases...
i really like a damask or architectural medallion print for bedding...
potterybarn
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2015-03-09 at 3.34.08 PM.png (283.3 KB, 3 views)

07-05-2015
#Resist

bellanotteoutlet
Just ordered these linen pillowcases ... and earlier, a white linen top sheet from the same Mother's Day sale. The outlet prices are already good, + 25% off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bella notte.jpg (100.9 KB, 7 views)

20-06-2015
flaunt the imperfection

^^so nice...

25-06-2015
flaunt the imperfection

well- i always said i hate toile...
but i just ordered a blue toile quilt set that is reversible to blue/wht stripes...
i like the femme/masc. combo...
combo of secret garden + marine world...

we'll see if i can really deal with it when it is on the bed though...

still have to get my two large mirrors hung...
so heavy...

Last edited by softgrey; 25-06-2015 at 07:20 PM.
25-06-2015
#Resist

I really love toile, though I have yet to use it myself. But I did choose it for my mother's dining room accent wall. Perhaps one of these days ...

26-06-2015
flaunt the imperfection

it arrived today...
i like it so much with the stripes...
will combine it with grey to make it even more neutral...

28-06-2015
backstage pass

Where do you European people get awesome duvet covers? I'm moving out of my parents' soon (big changes!) and I really like some of Urban Outfitters' covers but they are so expensive... and IKEA's are either plain or boringly printed Zara Home is very boring this season.
I find that a duvet just "makes" a room really, and I am willing to pay a little more for it, but I'm still very unsure and unable to find a lot of possibilities!

Thank you all in advance

16-07-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
Where do you European people get awesome duvet covers? I'm moving out of my parents' soon (big changes!) and I really like some of Urban Outfitters' covers but they are so expensive... and IKEA's are either plain or boringly printed Zara Home is very boring this season.
I find that a duvet just "makes" a room really, and I am willing to pay a little more for it, but I'm still very unsure and unable to find a lot of possibilities!

Thank you all in advance
I really like John Lewis, Mark & Spencer, Westelm, Liberty, Kelly Hoppen. Alternatively Next does homewear, H&M too (very cheap) but what I would really recommend is etsy. People are not joking when they say you can find anything on etsy And you will be able to really make it your own Yay for moving out and creating your own space !

Alternatively what I usually do is "home decor + city" where I am/want to buy things and google does the rest Hope it was useful!

tfs star

^^ White Company (London) is very good too, if you are more into minimalistic design. I believe they ship wordwide.

30-07-2015
tfs star

I bought an apartment today! I can feel the decorating itch already...

It has the original kitchen from 1954, painted a pale blue. I'm contemplating whether to keep/restore or completely replace...retro/mid-century is not really my style, I prefer a more classic look, and yet this kitchen is awfully charming...

06-08-2015
flaunt the imperfection

congrats!...

the kitchen sounds adorable...
and fun...
you can always change it later if you decide it's not what you want, but it seems like it would be fun to have at least for awhile!...

best of luck with it all~!

07-08-2015
tfs star

Thanks softgrey!

Yeah, I am leaning towards keeping it, at least for a while. Even if it's not really my style, it makes me sad to think about ripping out something original. Also, I think it's more of a fun challenge to work with what's already there.

We'll change the countertops and put up some tiles, get new appliances, maybe take down some of the upper cabinets and replace with open shelves, new lighting. I kind of like the blue colour, but I might want to paint it anyway. I saw this really cute kitchen a while back, in the same retro style as ours. It was painted a really nice shade of light green, and with white marble countertops, white glossy tiles, stainless steel appliances, and lots of pale wooden accents. It had more of a organic/earthy retro feel than the typical kitchy retro, which I really liked.

07-08-2015
#Resist

I wrote a long reply earlier that got blown away ...

Congrats on the apartment!

I have an old house, and nothing about my kitchen is original, which is a bummer. But I have put in a restored 1948 Kelvinator refrigerator, which is gorgeous. Most women are horrified, but men totally get a huge hunk of restored, painted metal and chrome. If you have original appliances and they still work, they are probably better than anything you can buy today.

I would just wait for awhile before making any decisions ... original features are so nice!

All the original lighting was gone from my house ... I have gone back with vintage fixtures and one repro one. There are some great things available ... and there has certainly been some amazing lighting designed in your part of the world. In fact, one of my Deco light fixtures (in my office) is Scandinavian (Danish). I found at least one great fixture on eBay. It can be seen from the side of the house, and my neighbors would tell me how jealous they were!

Also the nice thing about going with original or vintage things is they won't date. A kitchen of the moment will probably look dated 10-15 years from now, but one that looks more or less original will never date. Right now mine still has features that scream something about the 70s (not sure what, I've covered my ears ...).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decorating, style