Your decorating style - Page 24 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
08-06-2016
chat~

that's brilliant.. I wouldn't have known; looks like voile
Probably good insulator too?

I tried to find what french linen means.. There doesn't seem to be anything
Much like french dressing and french fries
Just a little bit, an impression on the history, the fabric's raw materials being grown in France. Saying it is an ideal location for that...
I personally don't use the term linen for bedsheet or tablecloth -but stores here do. And I've heard it in American websites
I see that it used to be linen that was used for the bed etc

Linen is linen to me made from flax

I think i read about this long time ago, and I came across an online shop in the u.s. that sold vintage french linen -and they were all in this style, with a red embroidery on undyed surface
And that's what I gathered about it being french, a decorative style

I don't know if you look at Gucci but if you do- it's funny.. to see all the pots and pans and children's needlework done in school and so forth making their way into the designer's shows.. That's how I felt when I first saw the clothes
And one could even go further back in time...
I just want to share that with someone who does needlework
Reminding one of Antiques Roadshow...

08-06-2016
#Resist

^ It is ... and also blocks the sun well (I don't like blackout, but neither do I like the sun in my face when I'm trying to sleep in).

I have a collection of vintage towels that I use in the kitchen and bath, and they are mostly French, though I also have some that are German (which are a completely different style). I really am not fully clear on why there are so many surviving French linens. They seem to have been of excellent quality, and they seem to have put together extensive trousseaus there, so good that they would last a lifetime, with some perhaps never being used. The towels are mostly all monogrammed, sometimes double monogrammed, and occasionally there's a number too, indicating the item number in the trousseau.

All that's meant in this case is that the antique or vintage linen sheets they were made from were bought (and very likely also originated) in France--where nearly all of them are.

Nearly all of my bedding is linen, which I make a point of buying, but cotton is much more common here. The problem with cotton of course is that it's one of the dirtiest crops in the world (conventional cotton 'requires' huge amounts of pesticides). I have some organic cotton too.

The advantage of the antique textiles is that it's impossible to match the quality in anything I am able to buy new, whether domestic or imported.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 08-06-2016 at 10:30 AM.
09-06-2016
chat~

I had a teacher that used to say they don't make linen like they used to.. and she wore it too. I'd love to see these

Ive read hemp is quite good as a crop.. Have you tried it? I don't live in as trendy a city as i used to, but maybe it's sold here. Hm i remember first seeing hemp used in Chloé 10 years ago

Well I find it all fascinating. And I'm particularly charmed thanks
I have managed to catch one towel with a number on it

09-06-2016
#Resist

On the hemp, just a little ... I have a skirt that is hemp + satin (Donna Karan).

I have gotten a friend hooked on these towels ... I went to find one for her birthday. Talk about charmed ... I found one with her initials!! I was absolutely thrilled. I have never found that for myself.

Cool about the number ...

15-07-2016
chat~

Hey i found one (towels) online with my initials on it $49
On some of the French shops they offer to embroider your name for you too

What do you like to needlepoint with?
Recently i discovered embroidery floss is not all the same
I got a package and the strands don't even separate. I have to use the full thread
It is pure cotton, and too coarse i think when it is finished. For needlepoint. But I've never washed it

I once lived in a place where floss was 25 cents each, and many colours
DMC brand, the good one imo... Separates...

15-07-2016
#Resist

^ Congratulations

What I like the best is silk floss--don't remember the brand atm, but it comes in many many colors. The pillow is a combination of wool yarn and silk.

15-07-2016
chat~

Sounds very nice =) it does look like i will be shopping online more than i thought

15-07-2016
#Resist

^ It's best for picky people

I can buy Bella Notte in person at full price, but I usually have to have them order what I want. But online I can get half off at the outlet ... my sheets are all various neutral linen colors--white, ivory, flax. I mix and match, so when I buy new sheets, they can be any of those ...

15-07-2016
chat~

It is great when stores offer that. Saves so much on shipping
Today i saw id have to pay $15 for a $3 product (;.;

07-09-2016
#Resist

vandykes
The kitchen faucet I have now (that I had put in some years ago) was absolutely perfect ... it really looks like it could be original. But sadly it is now broken two different ways, so I'm replacing it with this ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faucet.jpg (9.2 KB, 1 views)

08-09-2016
chat~

Pretty I like the shape of the head. I sometimes like to wash my hair in the sink (lol)--I imagine it would help with that by the way it is designed.

This week I have begun thinking about just kitchen tools, like a gallon pot, measuring spoons and cups and baking sheets or pans. I think this thread is a good place for this topic too? :-)

I will probably try to find someone giving the huge pot away, and this evening I was looking at spoons but I didn't really like the designs so I went home with just bread and cream X)
I also am thinking about cups to drink coffee from

08-09-2016
#Resist

^ We have a tabletop style thread, but we could probably use one just for kitchen stuff! I like the oblong measuring spoons from Williams-Sonoma ... handy for getting inside things. I have 2 sets, plus a round set (the original) and adjustable plastic ones. There are beautiful artisanal measuring spoons, but not sure whether they are calibrated.

11-09-2016
chat~

I looked at that! Totally forgot about experiencing that often. Inserting spoons only to pull it out of a packet and make a mess cos of the shape. Flat is really convenient
I enjoy their copper items. I looked at ikea too but seems there's less selection than I expected.

With Halloween so soon, I am cautious --I use oven mitts with cats and spooky trees on it from last year and Dracula ziploc bags. I saw wicked stuff at Target once but we don't have the store anymore. I never ended up getting anything.

I am actually waiting for Christmas! For reindeer soap dispenser and such =P

Last edited by gius; 11-09-2016 at 12:40 AM.
23-09-2016
#Resist

Got my new faucet installed today--I am thrilled! "Kinda sexy" was my plumber's verdict It's quite imposing in person, more than I expected, and much more so than the old one.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decorating, style