How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-04-2008
rising star

I love decorating. I am not trained but have been decorating for years both for friends and family. Its just something I'm passionate about!

I would say my style is traditional meets ecclectic.....Not sure there is quite anything like that. I just buy pieces I love an make them work I have original pieces from Africa and a few pieces from Afghanistan. I love black and white pictures and I also collect crosses from all over the world!

I'll post pictures so you can see. Excuse the faces in the pictures as I was looking for pictures that would pick up some of the pieces I am talking about. Anyone know what my style would be from looking at the pictures?

Oh and I am looking at getting these stolls for my bar area!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2010018.JPG (133.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P2010032.JPG (128.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P2010035.JPG (147.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P2010034.JPG (142.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P2010026.JPG (150.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P2030067.JPG (152.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg bar stools.jpg (16.2 KB, 471 views)

Last edited by jules4u; 08-04-2008 at 03:22 PM.

13-04-2008
a hymn to darkness

I am a big fan of lighting..
So I often start decorating from a particular light fixture..
and expand from there...

Here are few that show my personal taste, I think..

by Nathalie Dewez

by Nathalie Dewez

source: architonic

V.I.P.

I still live with my mother and our house is relatively old (from the 50s) so it's hard to make alterations but basically I like things to be quite minimal and light in decoration.. and practical materials, everything my house is not .. if I'd have to rebuild it again, and if the decoration was up to me!, I'd definitely get rid of carpets first, and go accordingly to our environment (90% summer, desertic temperatures, and a lot of vegetation around the house) with bamboo floors, a few sliding glass doors, black tiles, lace curtains, lamps instead of bulbs in the ceiling, birds of paradise.. and.. hangings of exotic location souveniers would be strictly prohibited .. same for random wood boxes that denote pirate treasure inspiration (which my mom loves!).. and I would definitely find my way through a handful of Atget's photographs to hang in the living room, not the Paris ones but those of random people he photographed during his life.. and an idea I like about my current house and that I would keep (with a few modifications) is a space for books built in our walls.. because it's both practical and the less furniture, the better for me.
I guess what I'm trying to come up here .. is a house that would be very much hacienda-inspired in 'silhouette'.. but modern and clean in all decoration.. something that's clearly not part of the city or suburbs but doesn't make you feel in a farm either.. a mix of the two perhaps?.

scenester

Great thread! I have just recently bought my first house with my husband and now that I feel more secure I guess I am letting the interior decorater within me run wild!

My theme, after much soul searching and picture gazing is: plants, lamps, vases and books!

Indoor plants, beautiful lamps, vases with flowers everywhere and books on every wall!

Basically an intellectual-cluttered-granny-style look. However I have only just started out so of course, it is not quite perfect yet.

14-04-2008
fashion elite

My place isn't actually decorated in any way, BUT, once i move and really think about getting my style going I know it will be very hard. I like too many different things. I love colour and houses that express the person and feels totally lived in. I think this is a reaction against my dad who likes his places to feel like hotels. He doesn't even have photos.

I love a great lounge room with low couches that just invite you in. Book shelves, light. I love a completely modern kitchen but i also love those rustic farm house kitches. I guess i'll just have to wait and see what my next place will be like.

Last edited by misstarshine; 14-04-2008 at 06:35 PM.
15-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Maybe you need a city place and a country place

15-04-2008
scenester

I love interior design. I've always wanted to take a course or something and do it professionally, I just haven't had the chance to yet.

I'm moving out on my own in a few weeks and I cannot wait to put all the furnishings I've bought into my new place. I've collected many different pieces over the past couple of years.

18-04-2008
In Bloom

My decorating style is very close to none...well, kinda Scandinavian. I am no fan of colour, I'm all for white, offwhite, black and brown. I don't own vases or plants or anything, everything is just clean and white. I do have some vintage furniture (mirror and dining table) from my great grandmother - we actually still have the receipt, it was bought in Sæby in 1927 So I guess my style is clean + vintage. I have pics somewhere...

we were in love

18-04-2008
V.I.P.

the_ida .. it sounds beautiful i think i am almost the same

i do like some colour.. just muted
i like an emphasis on different materials . textures

*an inspiration pic*

housetohome.co.uk

wheneveriwakeup , interesting choices in lamps !

18-04-2008
scenester

Could anyone recommend a website that I could order wallpaper from? I'm looking to cover 1 wall in my bedroom. Something black & white, a contemporary floral design maybe?

I don't want to pay too much so I'm thinking online is my best bet?

Something similar to this perhaps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n506432724_450603_6322.jpg (49.6 KB, 3 views)

18-04-2008
V.I.P.

I'm moving next month and have been planning my decorating ideas for the past few months. I have a few items in mind but I'm not 100% sure where I'm moving yet so I cant plan very well. I cant decide between being closer to my brother and a larger apartment, or a completley gorgeous historic renovated apartment which is closer to downtown which I dont like and is smaller. My main dilemma now is a coffee table since I like too many, maybe I'll get that last so I can see what'll fit best. it's going to take forever to get everything I need!! I'll post some of my insparation pics when I get home, I like all sorts of styles and kind of an eclectic look.

Last edited by Guessgirl96; 18-04-2008 at 08:35 AM.
18-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Well, you know me ... I would totally go for the historic apartment :p It's so great to have a space with its own character, and no better way to get that than to have some age on it.

My coffee table is an ottoman. It came with either a soft top more for sitting, or a foam top (which I got) intended for putting stuff on that's also OK for sitting (but good luck with that, there's always stuff on it ). I also got a French Deco frosted glass tray with a repeating leaf pattern so I could put a vase with water on it, etc. I also have vintage Bauer pottery coasters for drinks. I really love upholstered coffee tables And other things that aren't coffee tables used that way ...

But please do post your inspiration pix, GG, I'm not sure what you like ...

Ida, would love to see pix of your furniture. 1927 is a favorite year for me as my house was finished that year That's so cool that you have the receipt ...

18-04-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplybella View Post
Could anyone recommend a website that I could order wallpaper from? I'm looking to cover 1 wall in my bedroom. Something black & white, a contemporary floral design maybe?

I don't want to pay too much so I'm thinking online is my best bet?

Something similar to this perhaps:
I was all about getting rid of the wallpaper the POs left behind, but I just saw some cool B&W wallpaper in the issue of Elle Decor that came the other day. It's about a half page about a designer & her patterns. One is Aubrey Beardsley-inspired, I think one was birds ...

You might also check out Martha Stewart patterns for something more traditional--does she have wallpaper right now?

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 18-04-2008 at 04:43 PM.
18-04-2008
V.I.P.

the ottoman is a great idea, ta ta. I was looking at some I liked but I'd like to be able to set drinks and food down without having to worry. I dont like too much glass but one of my ideas was two pieces of petrified wood with a sheet of glass over them.

I imagine your home is gorgeous, cute and cozy with nice warm neutrals and pops of color!

Just for fun there are pics of the historic apartment here. My favorite part was the ceiling made of carved tile although I dont reeber if they had pics of it. http://parklanevilla.com/photos.asp

My insparation pics are on the other hardrive since I just got my brothers laptop, but for now I'll post of betsey johnsons apartment. It has the mix of vintage and modern that I really like and that kind of the look I'm going for. Although my colors are green and purple I like that it's very colorful but doesnt look too crazy (for me at least). I think I want a pink like that in my kitchen or bathroom. The arco lamp and womb chair that she has are two pieces I'd really like to get for my apt.

credit apartmenttherapy.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1270893323_dcd85bb696_o.jpg (78.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1270897509_28f63156b7_o.jpg (144.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1270898807_b5a3f07d80_o.jpg (151.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Guessgirl96; 18-04-2008 at 03:27 PM.
18-04-2008
Power to the 99%

modernfan.com
^ The historic apartment building is gorgeous! I would so be there

One thing I try to do is keep things "soft" around my feet. It seems like anytime I've got a table with a metal base I always end up stubbing a toe on it. So that's one nice aspect of the ottoman It also has a linen slipcover that can be sent to the cleaners. (Which I should do right now--it's a little dusty )

I love that artichoke light fixture. Have you seen it in copper?

My living room is purple too, with green, rose, ivory, black, nickel/chrome/silver leaf, and blonde wood accents.

PS I like Betsey's taste in lighting, and I agree with having a light fixture be an important element in a room. That Sputnik chandelier is cool, and I've always liked that giant arcing lamp.

All my others are vintage, but here's what I have in my bedroom:

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 18-04-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
decorating, style