Your dry cleaners - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-08-2005
trendsetter

Your dry cleaners
The time has come to where I need to bring a huge pile of clothes to the dry cleaners again. I'm always weary to drop my nice clothes off with a total stranger.

I'm curious, what does everyone look for in a dry cleaner? Is service similar shop to shop? Does dry cleaning always come back smelling a bit chemically? Have you ever had your clothing damaged by a dry cleaners? Do you get a "deal" on dry cleaning?! How much do you pay for different items to get dry cleaned?

#Resist

I have finally found a cleaners I'm happy with. They have been named "best of city," so you may look around and see if a local publication gives awards to cleaners. They don't use perc, they use "Ecoclean" or something like that, so it's green too. The clothes do come back with a slight perfumey? scent. I pay top dollar, but it's worth it. Their philosophy is to reimburse you if they damage something. Good luck

28-08-2005
windowshopping

I try to find places that are more environmentally friendly, you don't get that strong smell. I wash cashmere and wool by hand, the chemical dry cleaning process breaks down the fibers.

Has anyone ever tried those steam cleaner boxes that are supposed to be like dry cleaning?

28-08-2005
trendsetter

I wash almost everything with woolite at this point, but I've had a couple negative experiences with silk tops and their color running on two-three items. I've become more weary to hand wash anything with a pattern on it now. I'm also thinking my white linen pants would look crisp if I dry clean.

I found one reccomended on some websites in my area. I might look into those Eco friendly cleaners too. That sounds like a good alternative.

I was thinking about those dry clean boxes/bags, but haven't tried them out yet.

#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonmars
I wash almost everything with woolite at this point, but I've had a couple negative experiences with silk tops and their color running on two-three items. I've become more weary to hand wash anything with a pattern on it now. I'm also thinking my white linen pants would look crisp if I dry clean.

I found one reccomended on some websites in my area. I might look into those Eco friendly cleaners too. That sounds like a good alternative.

I was thinking about those dry clean boxes/bags, but haven't tried them out yet.
I am far too lazy to wash anything by hand A friend of mine has a fancy-schmancy new feature-rich washing machine, and I take my vintage cotton rugs to her house when they need to be cleaned. Her delicate cycle is about 100x more delicate than what I've got ... truly impressive.

29-08-2005
front row

Citysearch has a list of good ones in the Bay Area. I know of two in the East Bay I trust myself. I know which ones NOT to go to as well.

I tend not to take my items to the too-cheap "99 cents per shirt" places. They tend to outsource the work to a larger facility so those places donít actually do the work themselves.

29-08-2005
trendsetter

^ What are the names of the ones in the East Bay? What is the worst that a "bad" dry cleaner can do?

The worst ever I had was some sequince on a top looked warped.

front row

Virginia Cleaners
1650 Shattuck
Berkeley, CA 94709-1612
(510) 848-1345

Red Hanger Cleaners
1600 Shattuck Ave Ste 120
Berkeley CA

Hi Hat Cleaners
2996 MacArthur
Oakland, CA

The bad ones tend to lose my buttons, use too much heat when pressing some items, leave stains or make new ones. Sometimes wrinkles are ironed in. Uggh!

Check out city search though too.

29-08-2005
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonmars
^ What are the names of the ones in the East Bay? What is the worst that a "bad" dry cleaner can do?

The worst ever I had was some sequince on a top looked warped.
The worst I've had happen is losing the garment (has happened multiple times) or ripping it irreparably. For some reason I've had really bad luck with black stuff at the cleaners over the years ... all the clothes in these cases were solid black.

18-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i had a skirt hem repaired at a dry cleaner...
when the skirt was finished...
the label inside the skirt was missing...
making a $500 silk jersey gucci skirt worth about $40...
i told them they had to find and replace the tag...
they siad they'd call me back and i never heard from them...

i hate dry cleaners!!...

18-10-2005
backstage pass

Good luck with finding a great cleaners! My dry cleaners just lost my favorite dress - a black silk See by Chloe dress that I had maybe worn 4-5 times. It was a $500 dress and they only reimbursed me $221 -- but that was AFTER I wrote a nasty letter on my law firm's letterhead. I have never been so mad in my life! I just know someone there stole it.

It was one of those cheaper dry cleaners... I sure did learn my lesson there! You get what you pay for.

- Leo Buscaglia
18-10-2005
fashion icon

Since we're on the topic of dry cleaners, I have a question: I recently took a pair of jeans to be dry cleaned, and now that I got it back there is a vertical crease down the front thigh of the pants going down all the way to the shins, like the kind you see in formal trousers. Is there any way I can reverse this? Perhaps bring it back to the dry cleaners for them to do it? Please help because it looks REALLY awkward right now and a day of wearing didn't do anything to remove these creases.

18-10-2005
slightly dizzy

It should just be pressed, so you should be able to press it out yourself... Just iron with a lot of steam is my suggestion.

18-10-2005
fashion icon

ah, so pressing is the solution...why didn't i think of that *smacks forehead* Thanks, tott.

Since I don't have an iron, but do have a $100 credit at the dry cleaners, guess it's off to the cleaners

18-10-2005
slightly dizzy

You're welcomf, FtB!

I couldn't live without an iron! I don't press that much, but it's essential when you're sewing. I even have a steam station, it's great!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaners, dry