How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

22-02-2004
Your pm box is full buggy

Chinchillas are great pets. So incredibly soft.. and yea the dust bath thing is very entertaining! They run around and do crazy flips and stuff off of walls... crazy little beasts.

23-02-2004
rising star

Wearing animal skins for clothing is one of the oldest forms of fashion. In todays society with all of the other options it is no longer neccisary. To me people that wear fur is sort of like people driving suv's (if you absolutly need it out of necisity and you can justify it i think its ok, but most cannot so they do it just to show off) If I lived in the wild I would kill another animal eat it and wear the skin as a garment, but I dont so I wont.

I did have an idea to make a coat out of cats and dogs that were put to sleep by the animal shelter - seams like such a waste- they just go into dumpsters. Imagine a luxurious golden retriever coat .....well most people I told thought it was horrible so it will probabbly never get made.

23-02-2004
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally posted by HBoogie@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 1:25 pm
I want a pet chinchilla! They bathe in dust!

OH, how sweet!

No, I don't wear fur. It's completed impractical for the climate I live in, and I just don't like the idea of it in general. I'm with Boogie though, I won't judge anyone else for their decision to wear/endorse it

23-02-2004
V.I.P.

I don't own a lot of fur, but it keeps me warm and it's really soft and nice to touch... I only have fox and rabbit though, that I know of

23-02-2004
front row

I do not own and fur, and I will never, ever wear it. Leather is practical because it uses the rest of the animals that we kill to eat anyway. However, when you kill a poor little rabbit, or chinchilla just so you can look good, it's a waste.

23-02-2004
V.I.P.

purple, I too am a vegetarian. Not necessarily because of animal rights, I might add. But, the only thing that seperates me from being a full-on vegan is my closet. I own quite a few leather coats, gloves, belts... a fur coat... cashmere pants... wool sweaters and a coat... Shameful, I know... but animal fabrics are much better quality than any synthetic ones.

Also, those of you who said they would never kill an animal.. do you wear wool or cashmere? Or leather?

23-02-2004
V.I.P.

i was responsible for that quite chaotic topic in the past didn't want it to get out of hand.
soo unless most of you don't know, i am an animal rights activist (not that psychopath insane type, which people usually think of..i just defend animal rights)
a vegetarian and obviously not a leather or fur wearer.
i just think it's wrong..whilst i think vegetarianism is personal choice, killing an animal for a coat which will only be worn 3 times is not right.

23-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

I wear only vintage fur which I can justify to myself by telling myself that I am recycling the skins so that another poor little animal didn;t have to be killed.

That said, i rarely even wear the fur I have...it doesn't feel right somehow...

those chihchillas are damn cute!!!

23-02-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 7:28 am
purple, I too am a vegetarian. Not necessarily because of animal rights, I might add. But, the only thing that seperates me from being a full-on vegan is my closet. I own quite a few leather coats, gloves, belts... a fur coat... cashmere pants... wool sweaters and a coat... Shameful, I know... but animal fabrics are much better quality than any synthetic ones.

Also, those of you who said they would never kill an animal.. do you wear wool or cashmere? Or leather?
Wool they get by shaving sheep. They don't kill them for their fur. Also, I do wear leather because it's using the rest of the animal that we kill for food anyway.

23-02-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

I wear fur. Yes. No mink though.

23-02-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by MurakamiPrincess@Feb 24th, 2004 - 12:11 am
Wool they get by shaving sheep. They don't kill them for their fur.
Sheep are bred to produce as much wool as possible. Larger skin area means a bigger area where wool will grow. Think about those Chinese wrinkly dogs... The sheep get fungus infections, sores and whatnot because of their unnatural mutations. Also, some sheep die after shaving. By shock, or cold. This procedure is not gentle.

When you produce silk, you kill the silk worm before it's fully mature. If you let it turn into a butterfly and break out of the cocoon, you end up with scrap silk instead of the long fibers that are wanted.

Down production is not very friendly to the birds. They are plucked while alive and conscious and thrown back into the birdhouse. When they have grown enough new down, the procedure is repeated. Typically, a bird will give 3 sets of down (if it doesn't happen to die before that...) and then it is scrapped.

The production of silk, wool, down, leather and fur is not kind to animals, it's a fact. Some of us can live with that, others can't.

23-02-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally posted by tott+Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:33 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tott @ Feb 23rd, 2004 - 6:33 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MurakamiPrincess@Feb 24th, 2004 - 12:11 am
Wool they get by shaving sheep. They don't kill them for their fur.
Sheep are bred to produce as much wool as possible. Larger skin area means a bigger area where wool will grow. Think about those Chinese wrinkly dogs... The sheep get fungus infections, sores and whatnot because of their unnatural mutations. Also, some sheep die after shaving. By shock, or cold. This procedure is not gentle.

When you produce silk, you kill the silk worm before it's fully mature. If you let it turn into a butterfly and break out of the cocoon, you end up with scrap silk instead of the long fibers that are wanted.

Down production is not very friendly to the birds. They are plucked while alive and conscious and thrown back into the birdhouse. When they have grown enough new down, the procedure is repeated. Typically, a bird will give 3 sets of down (if it doesn't happen to die before that...) and then it is scrapped.

The production of silk, wool, down, leather and fur is not kind to animals, it's a fact. Some of us can live with that, others can't. [/b][/quote]
thanks for the insight- i knew about the silkworms, but never thought about the down. survival of the fittest man-if a lion could eat you, it would. thank goodness lions don't live in NYC! small children in california are often attacked by wild coyotes...it's the cycle of life in this century...not always pretty, huh?

23-02-2004
windowshopping

hey tott, you're my new favorite person. thankyou for getting that out for me.. i couldnt have said it better myself.
you know, you 'vegetarians' that still wear leather.. i personally find it to be alittle pathetic.
being a vegan, i've given all of my wools, leather, (i've never ever own real fur), and silk to the salvation army... fur is better quality than synthetics? well okay, thats why it costs more.. but how long tdo you think you'll wear your better quality fur before you get tired of it. synthetics last for quite some time, and then peoples fashion sense changes... so they get new synthetics.

-Joanie Cooke

23-02-2004
Your pm box is full buggy

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 11:01 am

those chihchillas are damn cute!!!
Thanks! I love my chinchillas.
My mother jokes and says she's going to make mittens out of them.

I am not passing judgement on people who wear fur... I can't do anything to change it from happening, and it will probably never stop. I also don't think silk or wool or leather are bad either.

But then again, I am not a hardcore vegetarian... I do not eat meat.. but It's because I choose not to, not because I think it's cruel. Leather is a by-product. People don't go around hunting cows for their skin.. it's just that if the cow will be killed for its meat.. why not use the rest?

Anyways. I'm so glad I got some opinions on this matter. This will help me a lot on an assignment I am doing.

23-02-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by prettyLITTLEwannabe@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 7:59 pm
hey tott, you're my new favorite person. thankyou for getting that out for me.. i couldnt have said it better myself.
you know, you 'vegetarians' that still wear leather.. i personally find it to be alittle pathetic.
being a vegan, i've given all of my wools, leather, (i've never ever own real fur), and silk to the salvation army... fur is better quality than synthetics? well okay, thats why it costs more.. but how long tdo you think you'll wear your better quality fur before you get tired of it. synthetics last for quite some time, and then peoples fashion sense changes... so they get new synthetics.

-Joanie Cooke
I admire your hardcore diligence prettyLITTLEwannabe. Sadly, not all of us are quite as strong and strict as you are. At least we try though.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fur, guidelines, post, posting, read, style, thread