How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-02-2004
rising star

Everyone draws the line somewhere - construction and polution kills more animals than the fur industry. So lets stop building and manufactuering and live in treehouses made of gathered branches.

25-02-2004
windowshopping

No, I do not wear fur, because I have no need for it. If I lived somewhere extremely cold and had some spare change, then yes, I would most likely own a piece. Fur is very warm and there is nothing like burrowing your face into a deep collar when below zero winds whip around you. My mother has a mink jacket that is just beautiful. It belonged to my great-(great?)-aunt.

I do understand and respect the opinions of those who believe that wearing fur is not a good thing. However, I wish that organizations like PETA would not be so militant about it. It's one thing to protest peacefully, but campaigning on the idea that those who wear fur are evil, morally-wrong people is a little hard for me to understand and respect. (I am not implying that any of you are evil bad people. Argh. I'm trying very hard to be PC and to not stir things up. Gosh Darnit.) I also do think that the industry could go about the process just a little bit(understatement) more compassionatly.

25-02-2004
V.I.P.

Iam a Vegitarian, i do not belive in fur . Its really quite grotesque if yous ee any pictures, truely disturbing. However i musta ddmit i do wear some leather.

26-02-2004
& b

I don't know if I would... I mean, I like it, but when I see photos of all the cruelty and stuff, I rather stick to faux...

26-02-2004
V.I.P.

i don't mind fur. it a completely natural and justified fiber to use. i like the bright colored gucci fur.

but i agree that chinchilla fur does seem a little...well i would feel guilty. any other animal...not so much...maybe.

27-02-2004
trendsetter

i have two maxmara coats, one lined with beaver and one 100% alpaca
and a rabbit fur handbag

*ducks*

27-02-2004
V.I.P.

I have a winter jacket with a detachable fur collar. I swear I thought the collar was fake, until I was told otherwise

I'm not sure though if I wouldn't buy that jacket if I knew that the collar was real. I would never wear a fur coat though (neither would my wife). I think that besides no need for killing wild animals, it's just tacky.

What about leather? Is that bad? I don't think it's as bad, because most of it comes from animals that are specifically grown to be slaughtered for meat and leather.

27-02-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Feb 27th, 2004 - 3:33 pm
I have a winter jacket with a detachable fur collar. I swear I thought the collar was fake, until I was told otherwise

I'm not sure though if I wouldn't buy that jacket if I knew that the collar was real. I would never wear a fur coat though (neither would my wife). I think that besides no need for killing wild animals, it's just tacky.

What about leather? Is that bad? I don't think it's as bad, because most of it comes from animals that are specifically grown to be slaughtered for meat and leather.
That's where I draw the line. If its not raised for meat and skins for clothing already,the rest is just frivolous to me. Pigskin is another that I found that has an equal effect of leather. Still,its raised the same way. And I already love leather.

What's more,looking at it and owning one are two different things for me. Like Rick Owens is doing at Revillon..its absolutely stunning. However,I'd feel overwhlemed in half of it. Its just too much even for me.

27-02-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Feb 27th, 2004 - 6:49 pm
Pigskin is another that I found that has an equal effect of leather. Still,its raised the same way. And I already love leather.
Pig or Cow.. it's all still leather.

There's even Ostrich leather.

29-02-2004
V.I.P.

i like ostrich leather. all the bumps get me. or something like that...

hmm..

07-03-2004
windowshopping

In the store,I like,I bought!! in addition,My Bo bought me a beatiful mink, I have no issues to those that oppose it,to each its own, I dont judge!!

08-03-2004
rising star

Yes I do.

08-03-2004
backstage pass

I wear fur, I have a short rabbit and a short fox coat. They were both second hand and my boyfriend is allergic to them because the rabbit is losing its hair and he suffers from pet-allergies

I don't really mind wearing fur, I love the look and feel of it and have never seen any syntetic fur just as beautiful. I hardly ever eat meat, not for animal-friendely reasons, but because I don't think it's very healthy to eat meat nowadays. I do wear leather jackets, bags and shoes.

With the risk of sounding very cruel and mean, I think that it's more imprtant to care about people in war/hunger/bad circumstances before we try to 'save' the animals. But on the other hand I agree that there is a HUGE difference between using fur that is 'waste' after a hunted animal is skinned (like Inuit ect do) or use fur from pelting farms.

Those issues are always difficult, mostly because it's easy to close your eyes for the gruewelling practises because you never see them really.

12-03-2004
scenester

I am a vegetarian (but not a vegan) and do not and would not wear fur. I still buy leather although in decreased amounts. I just do my best, where I am right now in my life, to reduce unnecessary animal suffering. I'm glad to see there are many here who feel the same.

14-03-2004
fashion icon

I do. I think it has to deal with my up bringing. Almost every Christmas I would get a new fur coat. As I got older the more expensive they got.

Other than coats I also have fur scarves, hats and mittens. Also a pair of boots with fur trim

From Mink, to Foxes from all around the world, and beaver. Beaver has become very popular lately and isn't so "inexpensive". It is so soft I love it.

I'm starting to remind myself of Mr. Burns on the Simpsons when he wants to skin Bart and Lisa's puppies

My mother has endangered species stuff (ivory, seal, tortoise shell)in our house and in her wardrobe. I do think its unfortunate but my mother is old school Mediterranean and thinks that the only way to live is to show people how much you spend. I cant wait for her to realize how arrogant she sounds when she says things like that.

But yup I wear fur.

I never understood how people who refuse to wear fur but wear leather, eat meat and buy things that were made in sweat shops. If one were to talk about inhumanity they may want to take a look at suffering humans around the world first before they start caring for the mink in the woods.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, fur, guidelines, post, posting, read, style, thread