How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2008
Power to the 99%

mrsmeyers.com
^ I don't come out that well on the footprint test either--I blame the fact that they don't let me count my dogs as housemates :p

I have not tried those nut things ... I too am unwilling to give up scented laundry! I use Mrs Meyers ... I don't know if you can get it in Europe? We don't have the brand you mention as far as I know ...

I've been using the new Basil scent laundry detergent lately I also like the lavender, geranium, and rhubarb spring cleaning products ...

21-04-2008
Power to the 99%

replacements.com
This is one of the dinnerware patterns I collect ... it was made in 1933 only. It's a challenge to find ...

21-04-2008
tfs star

Oh, and what do people recommend for inexpensive natural/organic cleaning products? I ask because even if regular products weren't bad for the environment, I get a bad reaction from the chemicals.

21-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ You can just use steam & avoid the products altogether ... but vinegar is great. I like Earth Friendly Products' Window Kleener, which is made with vinegar. I also like Mrs Meyers, as mentioned (although it may not fall in the inexpensive category, I think it's worth it). I also use a couple of Seventh Generation's cleaning products ... they also make a Free & Clear spray--I know allergy sufferers who've used it successfully. I use Ecover's soft scrub.

21-04-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFrancoise View Post
Oh, and what do people recommend for inexpensive natural/organic cleaning products? I ask because even if regular products weren't bad for the environment, I get a bad reaction from the chemicals.
Method, Trader Joes has a nice all purpose cleaner called Next to Godliness, and I just started using Clorox "green cleaners" They seem to work well and do not smell too harsh or cause any reaction (for me at least!) I have yet to find a green dishwashing detergent that actually works. A couple other things I do: I have a ceramic coffee cup, plastic bowl, and regular spoon and fork in my cubicle at work that I wash after every use instead of using the (questionable) plasticware in the drawers in our lunch room!

tfs star

Thanks. I don't have a Trader Joes nearby though but I can get some products around here.

21-04-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal2183 View Post
Method, Trader Joes has a nice all purpose cleaner called Next to Godliness, and I just started using Clorox "green cleaners" They seem to work well and do not smell too harsh or cause any reaction (for me at least!) I have yet to find a green dishwashing detergent that actually works. A couple other things I do: I have a ceramic coffee cup, plastic bowl, and regular spoon and fork in my cubicle at work that I wash after every use instead of using the (questionable) plasticware in the drawers in our lunch room!
Do you mean for the dishwasher, or washing by hand?

I like Earth Friendly's dishwasher detergent (I use the lavender), and Mrs Meyers for washing by hand. But everything I've tried for washing by hand has worked ... the dishwasher is more of a challenge. Probably also has something to do with the age of my dishwasher

I too keep a mug, spoon, plate, and custard cup (for snacks--nuts, chocolate, grape tomatoes) at my desk. I also stock our kitchen with Mrs Meyers handsoap & dishwashing liquid

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 21-04-2008 at 02:53 PM.
21-04-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Do you mean for the dishwasher, or washing by hand?

I like Earth Friendly's dishwasher detergent (I use the lavender), and Mrs Meyers for washing by hand. But everything I've tried for washing by hand has worked ... the dishwasher is more of a challenge. Probably also has something to do with the age of my dishwasher
Yeah, i was talking dishwasher. I'll give Earth Friendly's a try, where do you purchase it?

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal2183 View Post
Yeah, i was talking dishwasher. I'll give Earth Friendly's a try, where do you purchase it?
I buy it at a store that I know isn't in your area, but I'm pretty sure I bought it at Whole Foods before. Looks like you can also buy stuff on their website: www.ecos.com

22-04-2008
backstage pass

"Line" drying laundry...when possible

Power to the 99%

Happy Earth Day!

Here's a quiz a friend sent me that I liked ...
http://www.sc.edu/sustainableu/EcologicalFootprint.pdf

24-04-2008
Power to the 99%

^ Btw, this is *not* that quiz that says, "If everyone lived like you, we would need 6 or 7 planets." I honestly think you cannot win with that one if you live in the US, except maybe if you're those polygamists

This is a good quiz that really measures things you can do something about. I scored 61.

24-04-2008
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
This is one of the dinnerware patterns I collect ... it was made in 1933 only. It's a challenge to find ...
Fashionista-ta, do you have any more information about this set? e.g. who made it and where? I swear this is the same as my family's prize bloody dinner set is this but in an orange and cream colourway!

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 25-04-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: quoted image
25-04-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFrancoise View Post
Baking soda really works well to dissolve grime. You can scrub your bathtub, tiles, dishes, kitchen surfaces, floors with it, as well as use it as a facial scrub and mix with toothpaste. It also works as a deodorant for the fridge, sink, etc. Mixed with vinegar it makes an even more powerful cleanser. Also, my laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, and shampoo are all basically just liquid soap.

25-04-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariEma View Post
Fashionista-ta, do you have any more information about this set? e.g. who made it and where? I swear this is the same as my family's prize bloody dinner set is this but in an orange and cream colourway!
I sure do ... it's Homer Laughlin, I think the factory's in Pennsylvania or something like that ... they're still in business. This pattern is a decal on I believe the Century shape, the color is called vellum. This is the only colorway of this particular pattern, but Homer Laughlin was incredibly prolific & there are definitely other patterns that use this shape. I'll take a look at my book & see if I can find anything in orange ...

Sometimes stuff was made exclusively for foreign markets, but with eBay it has a way of finding its way home

Have you ever looked at the mark on your family's set? Mine has the Homer Laughlin mark & the Wells peacock mark.

Also--there was a lot of English stuff that used this same square Deco shape--the other pieces are a bit more distinctive, I just grabbed the first photo I found. Your set could be Shelley--they used a fair amount of orange. Clarice Cliff used both orange & the house motif ... I love her stuff, but very pricey & not exactly easily found where I live. (Well, neither is this, but at least it's American )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
organic, style