Your vegan / vegetarian style - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-01-2009
trendsetter

Your vegan / vegetarian style
I've been recently looking into the vegetarian lifestyle, which is all well and everything, but then it donned on me that this also includes my wardrobe. Panic has set in and am a little crushed actually. I've never felt so fickle. There's nothing I love more than a good leather shoe, and I've long scoffed at the infamous 'pleather' bag. Now the joke's on me. What ever will I do?

So I've searched on the forum and found surprisingly little on the subject. Aren't there more vegetarians out there? I think there's a lot of potential for great style on the absence of leather, but it wont always come easy. I'd like to see what kind of animal-friendly style is out there. And more interestingly, how we get it to work with our personal style.

I've found a few neat things, so I'll post those later. Non-vegan/vegetarians can join in too. I'm personally looking for non-pleather items in particular. I just can't justify putting more plastic in the world... and on people's feet. But anything on the subject is welcome really.

22-01-2009
trendsetter

On another topic, has anyone managed to find a middle ground in all this? For example, I've bought many leather shoes in the past with the hopes that they would serve all my needs and last many years. I'm not about to throw those away because I think they should still be worn to the ground. But what if I needed a good pair of leather boots as well (which I still sorely desire,) to last me all of eternity? Is it possible to still be ethical while buying leather products, so long as you try to do so responsibly? Or is it just hypocritical?

trendsetter

Oh yeah (it's late and my brain isn't working,) one better way to buy leather products is second-hand. I guess one could try that to satisfy their shameful lust.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try out these linen flats from Urban Outfitters.

Credit: UrbanOutfitters.com

I actually have these in black--Tom's wrap boot. They're my 'ninja boots' and look pretty nifty with matching black tights. 100% cotton canvas uppers.

Credit: http://sosupersam.blogspot.com

Black (Ninja pride ):

Credit: Planetshoes.com

More non-shoe things coming later.

Last edited by pavement; 22-01-2009 at 02:57 AM.
22-01-2009
trendsetter

Any interesting alternatives to a leather jacket? Part of the appeal of a leather jacket to me has always been a certain cool or rebellious feeling. So anything with a similar attitude shouldn't be terribly hard to find....right?

I'm kind of thinking of a beat-up black/grey denim jacket with all the same appeal of a biker jacket. But I don't know. Haven't seen it in action yet. The least it could do is put all my band patches to work.

front row

WOW I LOVE THOSE >< DUN THEY HAVE FOR MEN !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavement View Post
Oh yeah (it's late and my brain isn't working,) one better way to buy leather products is second-hand. I guess one could try that to satisfy their shameful lust.

Anyway, I think I'm going to try out these linen flats from Urban Outfitters.

Credit: UrbanOutfitters.com

I actually have these in black--Tom's wrap boot. They're my 'ninja boots' and look pretty nifty with matching black tights. 100% cotton canvas uppers.

Credit: http://sosupersam.blogspot.com

Black (Ninja pride ):

Credit: Planetshoes.com

More non-shoe things coming later.

Last edited by Hanne; 22-01-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: please do not quote images
22-01-2009
Storm &amp;amp;amp; Sommer

Lovely choices Pavement!

Stella McCartney's shoes are vegan friendly..

I have a thing for Brazilian label Melissa - they made a lot of very cool plastic shoes in collaboration with numerous designers, Vivienne Westwood being one of them..
Vivienne Westwood Collaboration with Melissa

These are so FUN.. I can't help but Loooooove 'em :
Lady dragon by Vivienne Westwood for Melissa shoes

lady dragon by vivienne westwood for Melissa shoes fashionising com.jpg
fashionising.com

What about Marni's Ballon bags..I think some of them are without leather ??

pinterest : hanneonpin
22-01-2009

tFS Vegan threads :
Paint : Organic / Vegan Cosmetics and The Safety of Beauty Brands
Handbags : Non-Leather / Vegan Bags

22-01-2009

Looove this - and it's on sale at vivre

Wooden clutch by ports 1961:

Z_39379.jpg
vivre.com

22-01-2009
scenester

I'm a vegetarian, but use leather.
I know I'm really shallow and stupid. But I don't think it is better to buy plastic shoes and other kind of plastic fake leather. How good is that for the environment and therefor the animals?

I don't think you should throw away or stop using your old leather products, because that makes it even more a waste of the dead animal, if it's not even used and then it's more in vain than ever.

But it's all individual of how much leather one can use before it gets uncomfortable.
I'm totally okay walking around in leather shoes, but could never use leather gloves because it feels too strange have my skin next to some others dead one.

trendsetter

Thanks Hanne!

That wooden clutch certainly is cool. I wonder if it's heavy. I'd probably drop it anyway.

Quote:
I'm a vegetarian, but use leather.
I know I'm really shallow and stupid. But I don't think it is better to buy plastic shoes and other kind of plastic fake leather. How good is that for the environment and therefor the animals?

I don't think you should throw away or stop using your old leather products, because that makes it even more a waste of the dead animal, if it's not even used and then it's more in vain than ever.
I can definitely agree with you. Throwing things out is such a waste, unless the person honestly gets sick looking at them. (But you could pass them on to someone else.) I think I may still buy leather if I need it, but only from second-hand sources. That way, I'll still be using up would-be landfill items.

Plastic shoes aren't really an option for me as they don't break in, but I can kind of understand a synthetic bag. In comparison with all the plastic packaging everything comes in these days, it's not too bad to own just one. Here's a pretty cool option from Urban Outfitters. I like it, but would still rather have something more eco-friendly.

UrbanOutfitters.com

trendsetter

Hemp, anyone? Not the most stylish things in the world, but I admire them for their simplicity.

store.naturalnirvana.com

eco friendly ? buy second hand/vintage.

22-01-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
eco friendly ? buy second hand/vintage.
i just came to think about if buying vintage really so eco friendly, most of the vintage clothes i own i only dry clean. i don't know much about dry cleaning, but it definitely will not make the nature happy

Soviet Camaro

There is a kind of "green" dry cleaning that uses liquid carbon dioxide and is generally regarded as being environmentally friendly (at least more so than the conventional perchloroethylene dry cleaners of the past.)

There is also something called GreenEarth which uses silicone-based D-5; however, manufacture and perhaps even use of D-5 involves the use of suspected and/or known carcinogens. GreenEarth is not green!

If you google "green dry cleaning" you will find lots of information about these and other alternatives!

trendsetter

Pavement, I'm pretty sure the insoles of my TOMS are actually leather. So unless they explicitly state that they are vegan, TOMS uses leather insoles and aren't vegan friendly.

*Ah, I spoke too soon, they do have vegan friendly versions of their shoes.

Last edited by lollicandy; 22-01-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
style, vegan, vegetarian